Solo - Loss of GPS connection, followed by hard landing - with video

Reaction score
Been flying at least once a day now for about a week but just had a minor issue today. While flying, the controller told me it lost GPS connection and switched me to manual flight - even though the controller visibly indicated it was tracking 10 satellites. I begin flying back home, GPS signal was re-aquired. Still felt nervous so continued bringing Solo home. Again, lost GPS coverage and re-aquired. When I got to my RTH spot, I hovered until I was sure the Solo had a GPS connection to minimize drift, then proceeded to land. Solo drifted more than normal, but was acceptable. Solo touched ground and appeared to be powering down, only to suddenly power up again, lift off slightly, then topple over - breaking 2 props.

Should I be concerned about this, or is this just an inevitable occurrence?

You probably should have been landing in FLY MANUAL under the circumstance. Its perceived location compared to its home spot was probably moving all over the place with the GPS problems you were having. Post a log.

Reactions: Acroduster
You probably should have been landing in FLY MANUAL under the circumstance. Its perceived location compared to its home spot was probably moving all over the place with the GPS problems you were having. Post a log.
David, just want to be clear and make sure I'm understanding you. When you say landing in "Fly Manual", do you mean I should not have hit the "fly" button once GPS signal was recovered? I did "manually" land it, but was doing so with GPS assistance, I didn't hit the RTH button.

Thanks

Based on the scenario you have described you should have landed in FLY MANUAL. It is a general consensus with people who fly a Solo or any aircraft that you should always have the ability to fly without GPS assistance. You can program either the A or B button to put the Solo in Manual mode. It may have decided before the motors cut off that it needed to move another couple of meters to be in the home position to land causing it to flip over. Without a log this is just an educated guess.

Thanks Pedals, excellent read. Today was really the first day I've flown outside of my normal "area". I'll practice the manual landing a bit in the soft grass so I'm ready for next time.

JIM

I've searched. but found no reasonable answer, yet. Like the first post, my Solo's will occasionally go to "searching for GPS" even though it's showing 10 or more sats! Does solo periodically refresh the GPS, or what's going on? Just curious, that's all. I just stay in Fly Manual, until I get out in the open, and some altitude, then switch to Fly. And although I've tried it and it works, I always land in Fly Manual.

Just a note, Jordi, (MRO) is apparently selling these like hot cakes. If his site says out of stock, don't pay any attention. I just placed my second order with them, and it was shipped the next day! Good company to do business with. And the GPS is plug and play, works great!

Pedals/Frank - I've come across those GPS upgrades on other threads - I think they will be worth it. Once I get better with the drone, I plan on using it to photograph/document dams/blockages in rivers. Areas with poor GPS coverage. I think this will be money well spent.

JIM

GPS upgrade is well worth it although the stock GPS is O.K. as long as your ready for any problems. Was it a cloudy day when you were flying?

Here is the video of the crash. I'm looking for the log now, but not sure which log is which. The day/times don't match up to when I was actually flying.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sounds like the Solo knew it landed. Need a log for sure. maybe it was changing flight modes due to GPS problems and switch to manual at the last second and took off again.

I like to press the pause button as soon as it touches down regardless of a manual or automated landing to turn off the rotors ASAP upon touchdown.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc