Solo, Gopro and Periscpope

Reaction score
Now that GoPro is supporting live streaming with periscope, any chance we will see some support so we can stream the views direct from solo?

I'm interested in this as well. I assume since you have to be connected to Solo's wifi that having the GoPro wifi on would cause some issues. A toggle on the Solo iOS app would be nice though.

To do this, you would need to have GoPro's WiFi turned on and connected some other device, not the same one you're using with the Solo controller. The phone/tablet you're using on the solo controller is connected by WiFi to the controller, so it cannot be connected to the GoPro wifi at the same time. You need another device for the GoPro wifi part. Also, having the GoPro WiFi turned on will result in reduced range for both the solo and the GoPro. Two WiFi devices right next to each other.

I've never tried it. But in theory, it should work. As with anything else, you must be aware of the limitations and implications. It would definitely be cool.

Yeah thats what I was concerned about. What would happen having two wifi devices connected at the same time in such close range.

I've never tried it. The end result will probably depend on how far out you need to fly, and how much other WiFi congestion is in the area.

Ok, we tried it.. It worked for the most part but lost connection to the GoPro camera.. I think it may be because I was too close to our company Wifi and it kept connecting to it.. More to come.. Still testing.

The GoPro doesn't just randomly connect to other WiFi access points. The GoPo is hosting it's own network, which your phone must connect to, just like you would connect your phone to Solo or your home. It's not going to just connect to your office network because it looks nice :)

The GoPro doesn't just randomly connect to other WiFi access points. The GoPo is hosting it's own network, which your phone must connect to, just like you would connect your phone to Solo or your home. It's not going to just connect to your office network because it looks nice :)

I understand that, I was speaking of my phone automatically connecting to my office network, not the GoPro. Sorry I was not more clear.

Nonetheless, we traveled away from the office and we're getting the same result, Phone (the device running periscope) disconnects from the GoPro about 20ft away. Starting to think now that the Wifi receiver in my phone my be weak.

The gopro wifi has a very small transmitter and antenna (gopro is tiny!). You probably won't get a connection much further than 20 feet. Same with the phone, although the phone can go a bit further than that. The solo controller and solo itself use a much higher wifi signal (and larger antennas) as it's meant to go greater distances. I don't think there is much more you can do to improve the distance between the gopro wifi and your phone/tablet. The hardware just isn't capable of it.

Makes sense. The guys I saw on periscope the other day were using a DJI Phantom, unsure if they were using GoPro but they were about 200ft up.

I did try connecting to the Solo Wifi via my phone, then open periscope, but it does not recognize the camera feed on that network.

I wonder if you could open up the GoPro and install a whisker antenna. It probably just has a 1/4 wave trace on the board for an antenna. Cutting that and putting in some small coax to a whisker hanging out the side could give you a bit more range. I've never opened one up to even see what it looks like, so pure speculation.

Reactions: Dronie
Using the HDMI out on the controller lets you use the solo video feed so you'll get the range and is probably the easiest way to get this to work. You can then feed that HDMI to a laptop or maybe even back to the tablet and stream from that. Here's a few threads:
How to Stream Live Video from 3DR solo
Live Broadcast on Youtube

HDMI out on the Controller is limited to 720p though...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo