Solo fuslage and motherboard

Reaction score
Website
www.digitalatmosphere.com.au
So I have my solo completely in parts with the full understanding that my warranty is gone, but all good, for me this is more of a research venture if anything.

There does seem to be some changes that were made on the product as they were building it. For instance the mainboard serves not only has the power and data for the bird, but also seems to be part of the rigitiy of the device as the weight of it alone is significant.

The back end of the board seems to have far less going on and I wonder what occurred to not use this correctly, such as offering more pin outs, etc..

Also to note under the back of the bird, you have a recess that has a sticker called "Link" where inside, there is actually nothing here and it doesn't offer to strength, balance or anything. So I think perhaps a few short cuts to get to manufacturing may have occurred.

This is not to be taken in a negative context, more like what, how and why for me :)

Any thoughts, ideas on this.. perhaps you have already mentioned this and I need to go search the forum... Have a good day.

Realize you are pushing amps through the main board to drive the motors, the heft you feel is the copper needed to handle peak amps. Further the mass of copper displaces the heat generated, essentially a heat sink.

The Link bump doesn't make sense, as you said nothing anywhere near it. Then again it does serve a purpose as another set of air vents for the frame. If the unit was completely enclosed there would likely be heat related issues. I've had absolutely no heat related issue flying 100+ temps this summer, that's amazing.

Sure the main board is an important component of the overall structure, could we call it the spine? Even the battery tray and battery contributes to the overall frame rigidity.

I was just looking over an empty frame this evening. I marvel at the engineering of this structure, it's fairly light weight. Yet it performs its designed task very well, keeping all four motors properly aligned under the various torque loading. For a first gen frame it's actually very well designed. I'm sure it could be improved upon, but I haven't seen any obvious areas needing addressing.

Reactions: Solo Keith
From the times that I have also took apart & put back together too many times LOL.
From what i noted, was that how wonderfully rigid the main body of Solo is!
All plastic & some fiber board that's it,
I have read most crashes that Solo survived, confirms this comment,.
The battery tray is a big part of it's rigidness & the single body construction " As opposed to the DJI P2,3,4 split body"
IT's 1 LBS heavier then DJI, But is more rigid.
My findings.....

Thanks, I can see various parts of the fuselage to see what the reason is and injection moulding and the way that top half of the fuselage is fused on after the mainboard goes in (Well that's how it appears) is good manufacturing. But like most of us here, I think we want to pull it apart and play with it and optimise which I think is against the agenda of who this was to be sold to.

The controlling behaviour and the look of this bird is excellent. I am sure new versions, if they can afford to, will be much better and more end user and module centric perhaps.

S
Could have taken the stickers off! hahaa... now painting it glossy yellow would be legit!

The main board is screwed in, it can be removed...
this guy thinks of him self as a "Dr. Frankenstein" & Solo was his experiment..... The patient died i guess....
A Member from here, tried to sell me his equipment & this "Holy" thing was part of it. LOL
He was complaining about Solo, it's not to his liking anymore LOL I wonder Why LOL.
Should had bought it, it may have won a prize as the "Stupidest MOD" ever for Solo!

LOL, LOL ...yup, right after he posted this on FB, he comes here to complain about it!
Most of the FB pages say " NO complaints about Solo" Can 3DRpilots adopt the same rule?

I remember we use to have an award for the worst player in the Ice Hockey Club and they'd sew a monkey onto the jersey thus giving you a Monkey on your back. I am wondering if there is any award in the 3DR Pilots giving you the Swiss Cheese award, to which your photo is replaced by this wonderful culinary delight "Le Swissolo" in yellow gloss of course.

Have a great day!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig