Reaction score
I submitted a ticket and logs for my Solo back in March. All that I have been receiving is auto reply emails. All of my previous experience with 3dr customer service has been quick and helpful. Anyone have any ideas or experience recently with their "Support" team?

I submitted a ticket and logs for my Solo back in March. All that I have been receiving is auto reply emails. All of my previous experience with 3dr customer service has been quick and helpful. Anyone have any ideas or experience recently with their "Support" team?
Try using "chat" during their office hours. They have always been helpful when I used it. Good luck.

Try using "chat" during their office hours. They have always been helpful when I used it. Good luck.
I was on their website attempting chat from about 8-12pm and there was never anyone there :(

Their schedule seems to be changing...I've had good response times and resolution except for the fact I need a new controller, as mine won't charge, and they want me to send back the whole package for a refurb....(not too excited about ripping out my mods on the copter!! ha ha!) so Ebay it is for a controller unfortunately!

I sent one a few days and got a reply today, keep sending each day till they reply, probably put yours in the hard basket

My unit just fell out of the sky on April 18th. next day I contacted support. They walked me thru how to send them the logs. Did all that and , like you, no matter if I speak with a person, use their on-line chat, etc, I am just getting the standard, " The backlog is 3 to 4 wks. Sorry for (blah blah blah).
Really ticked off here. I scored a 2nd unit thru ebay and am having fun except I can't view the live feed. I get a messag4 that says, "Can't connect to internet through sololink...... Change WiFi hotspot." Can anyone tell me what that means? I have no sim card in my tablet yet, that should be here in a day or two. I do, however , have the 64G memory card in the tablet.

My unit just fell out of the sky on April 18th. next day I contacted support. They walked me thru how to send them the logs. Did all that and , like you, no matter if I speak with a person, use their on-line chat, etc, I am just getting the standard, " The backlog is 3 to 4 wks. Sorry for (blah blah blah).
Really ticked off here. I scored a 2nd unit thru ebay and am having fun except I can't view the live feed. I get a messag4 that says, "Can't connect to internet through sololink...... Change WiFi hotspot." Can anyone tell me what that means? I have no sim card in my tablet yet, that should be here in a day or two. I do, however , have the 64G memory card in the tablet.

Sorry to hear that you had witness a Solo "fall out of the sky". Support seems to have been very responsive to most Solo pilots, except when it requires review of logs. I guess with the massive number of Solos being sold in recent months due to its great value there are just too many requests to review logs for them to keep up with.

The message "Can't connect to internet through sololink....." is presented because there is no Internet access on the network used with the controller and Solo (Sololink). This is expected, and unless you have WiFi and Cellular on the device that you are using to run the Solo app you won't be able to connect to the Internet and Sololink at the same time.

The live video feed is a different issue. Start by checking the HDMI connections. They sometimes look fully seated, but aren't. Disconnect and reconnect. It takes a bit of force to get the internal connections seated fully.

jimloss...thank you so much for replying. What you said about the wifi makes it clear to me now. I distinctly remember reading to TURN wifi OFF or it will mess up the drone reception. So THAT'S what I focused on. Wanna know my error ....... that 'wifi' business pertains to the GoPro use only. After a few times reading what you'd posted, the lightbulb finally went off and it became untangled in my brain. So for that alone I give kudos to you buds. After more scrutinizing of the gimbal, I noticed that the HDMI port on the camera has come dislodged from it' installed position and is just flailing around inside the camera. I guess that happened due to the sudden impact of striking the Earth from over 300' up.
BUT ( and t's a big one....) I got an email from 3DR this morning and Santiago said, "
Looking over the flight log in question, it looks like a brownout where the flight controller lost power due to a spike in the voltage rail and the solo shutting down.
You were about 100 meters in the air which would explain the extent of the damage. Send in proof of purchase and I'll start the paperwork on your replacement."
I have NO idea what that means, but I am both relieved and concerned. Relieved that Ima get everything replaced. Concerned because just what the hell is he talking about...how and why did that happen....and can I or they or we prevent it in the future...is there a 'fix'...has this happened before Ya know, stuff like that.But anyway, I just wanted to let you know what happened since you took the time to help and who knows...someone else may seek your advice one day and you'll be able to recall this convo .. Have a good one. Live to fly, fly to live.

Sorry to hear that you had witness a Solo "fall out of the sky". Support seems to have been very responsive to most Solo pilots, except when it requires review of logs. I guess with the massive number of Solos being sold in recent months due to its great value there are just too many requests to review logs for them to keep up with.

The message "Can't connect to internet through sololink....." is presented because there is no Internet access on the network used with the controller and Solo (Sololink). This is expected, and unless you have WiFi and Cellular on the device that you are using to run the Solo app you won't be able to connect to the Internet and Sololink at the same time.

The live video feed is a different issue. Start by checking the HDMI connections. They sometimes look fully seated, but aren't. Disconnect and reconnect. It takes a bit of force to get the internal connections seated fully.

Ok gang....update time. After waiting for 1 month , beaucoup emails back and forth, them having me do a bunch of computer stuff ( of which I have no clue) about getting and sending them .bin logs and pictures and the invoices from where I purchased all 3 separate components needed in order to complete the package, and them admitting it was equipment malfunction........Upon receiving proof of purchase, the lady says, " Ummmm wait a second. You got all of this from Ebay" I says, "Yup, pretty cool, huh? The parts were 'manufacturer refurbished' and have a warranty, right?". Seems she took just a TAD too much pleasure in telling me I was fk'd. I'm like, "Whoa....wait....what??". Turns out that only best buy, B&H and 2 others are 'authorized' sellers of their crap. They aren't covering diddly squat. Man...I am livid!. All of the coin I spent and only flew a handful of times, and now have a worthless drone, gimbal, and a GoPro hero 4 . Only thing not destroyed is the controller. Anyone wanna pay shipping?? It's yours if ya do. I will NEVER be an enthusiast over 3DR Solo ever again. Sucks, too because I am into mods and finding how things work and stuff like that. Actually I feel kinda relieved... I was hanging onto the possibility that regardless of everything else, 3DR would make this right and I could tout their customer service and minimize their shortcomings. Now that I am no longer under any illusions, I feel great. It's probably how the Trump supporters feel about now. Hmmm . FU 3DR... and the horse you rode in on. End rant. G'night.

It has been discussed at length that 3DR warrant only covers the original purchaser on items bought from an authorized retailer. I believe that is also clearly stated on the website and warranty paperwork.
I know you aren't pleased about it.
Remember, 3DR has completely gotten out of the consumer drone industry. I'm kinda surprised they do any warrant work on these fire-sale units!
Just go buy a "parts only" unit off eBay for $60. Chances are you can fix your Solo up and she will be flying perfectly!

Unfortunately, the warranty issue applies to most of the sales over eBay. 3DR is not unique in this regard, and eBay sellers take advantage of this by stating "Manufacture Warranty" or something similar which is simply them stating that they, the seller, aren't going to warranty the item.

I know that it's frustrating. Imagine how much more frustrating it would be if you were one of the original purchasers who had to pay $1400 plus the cost of their GoPro!

3DR and the Solo certainly have their faults, but that is why the we have the low prices that we have today. I new before I bought my Solo for a great price that I was taking a risk, but it was going to be a bargain if I could make it work. With help from this forum it has worked.

Review the eBay listing from the time that you made your purchase. If the eBay seller did make you believe that the Solo would be covered under warranty, then open a claim with eBay regarding this issue.

Know that many of us are able to keep our Solos flying with parts and help from this community. You can have a working Solo, minus the broken GoPro, with help from this community, effort on your part (it's a hobby), and the cheap parts that are available.

If you truly are giving up on your Solo, use eBay or the classified section of this forum to sell your broken Solo package. No matter how badly damaged the Solo is, there is still value in the parts and broken camera.

It has been discussed at length that 3DR warrant only covers the original purchaser on items bought from an authorized retailer. I believe that is also clearly stated on the website and warranty paperwork.
I know you aren't pleased about it.
Remember, 3DR has completely gotten out of the consumer drone industry. I'm kinda surprised they do any warrant work on these fire-sale units!
Just go buy a "parts only" unit off eBay for $60. Chances are you can fix your Solo up and she will be flying perfectly!
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you....I'm a bit more calm now.

Unfortunately, the warranty issue applies to most of the sales over eBay. 3DR is not unique in this regard, and eBay sellers take advantage of this by stating "Manufacture Warranty" or something similar which is simply them stating that they, the seller, aren't going to warranty the item.

I know that it's frustrating. Imagine how much more frustrating it would be if you were one of the original purchasers who had to pay $1400 plus the cost of their GoPro!

3DR and the Solo certainly have their faults, but that is why the we have the low prices that we have today. I new before I bought my Solo for a great price that I was taking a risk, but it was going to be a bargain if I could make it work. With help from this forum it has worked.

Review the eBay listing from the time that you made your purchase. If the eBay seller did make you believe that the Solo would be covered under warranty, then open a claim with eBay regarding this issue.

Know that many of us are able to keep our Solos flying with parts and help from this community. You can have a working Solo, minus the broken GoPro, with help from this community, effort on your part (it's a hobby), and the cheap parts that are available.

If you truly are giving up on your Solo, use eBay or the classified section of this forum to sell your broken Solo package. No matter how badly damaged the Solo is, there is still value in the parts and broken camera.
Ya know, you're right. I'm not a quittter by any means. I just gey sooo mad at myself. The first red flag went up in my head when GoPro themselves were coming up with the Karma. I thought, "Hmmm...I thought 3DR already teamed up with GoPro and designed the solo around that. Then, WHY would GoPro want to make their own drone"... Anyways, I'm on my 5th gimbal. That blasted HDMI port on the gimbal breaks way too easily. One thing I've not been able to do with the latest solo I scored is connect 2with the apps live view. It's just a black screen. I've done the trouble shooting suggestions on the 3DR support page...no joy. I only got to see live feed once, and that was when the unit plummeted to Earth..lol. Besides, I've got 5 spare batteries, this busted up drone for parts and the motors all work great. In fact just last night I got out the 'ol JB Weld and started to 'Frankenstein" it back together.

Reactions: jimloss
Contact the ebay seller and ask if they have the original sales receipt from one of the "authorized" retailers. I had a unit replaced by 3dr last October after obtaining a copy from the ebay seller. As long as its less than a year 3dr may honor it.

Also, gang... I saw a youtube vid where some dude hooked up his cheap 4k GoPro knock-off camera to the HDMI solo cable and he had a live feed. Granted, no camera control, but it at least worked for FPV. I also have a knock-off in addition to the broken GoPro However, I still get the black screen where a view of what the camera is seeing should be. Does this info assist any of y'all in perhaps suggesting a fix Thanks. OH...I have to tell you as well...the other night O was flying my 2nd unit out by the beach late at night. I had some pretty cool lights and light stringers atttached to the drone and it looked pretty wicked. Anyways, a policeman cruised by, talked to me and asked about FAA stuff. I was unsure, so I lied to him and said something like ," After 2015 the restrictions were lifted due to the number of hobbyists the reduction in price has generated." He looked skeptical but he bought it. I live in a really small town, so I came home and double checked. Bigger than shit, ya have to register the things. I was like, Great...how much now??? Only 5 bucks. Totally registered right then and there. Put the #'s aand letters on the unit, and all is cool. ~whew~

Contact the ebay seller and ask if they have the original sales receipt from one of the "authorized" retailers. I had a unit replaced by 3dr last October after obtaining a copy from the ebay seller. As long as its less than a year 3dr may honor it.
Brilliant!! I'm going to contact them right now. Thanks, buds. I'll let ya know what happens.

Thank you, jimloss. I appreciate the info and advice. I hope you have a terrific day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo