Solo Bricked. Getting really sick of 3DR support's delays.

Reaction score
So I've had a problem out of the box, my controller will not shut down after an update the "device updated" check mark is displayed. Chatted with tech support, they said not to worry, if the controller has not shut it self off or left the update completed screen half for half an hour, to simply power cycle the controller.

Since then its the same story after every update. Annoying but no big deal. Except that some odd, non-repeatable bugs started happening on each and every flight. Go pro acting like it was collecting images, but not really. Controller screen failing mid-flight etc etc. After 20 flights where something has gone wrong out of 24 total flights, I'm amazed that I've not suffered at total system failure and crashed.

So, after total gimbal failure 8 times in a row I wrote to tech support in Late April. Sent logs and video samples of the problem. They asked me to rewire the gimbal and try again, promising to replace the gimbal if it failed again. 2 weeks of strong winds kept me grounded, but when I did fly, the gimbal failed again. 3DR demanded I do yet another set of tests, this time the gimbal is making a high pitch whining sound, cannot pitch lower than 80 degrees and is so hot the Gopro fails completely.

So I try a factory reset, and the device is now bricked. The first update after the reset crashes the controller, and the Solo refuses to pair. I reported this to 3DR along with all of my steps to try and correct the problem on May 9th. Contacted by 3DR support 4 days later telling me I need to send them some videos of my problem, before they would replace the Gimbal. I responded on the 9th that perhaps they should actually read customer emails before responding to existing issues.

So a week later, I still have a brick. I'm supposed to make this drone available to students in a week's time, and I have a brick. I've spent more in wages on endless updates / factory reset cycles than our non profit has spent on the Solo itself. All of my colleagues who ignored my warnings about DJI (see Flight of the Phantom) are out with their Phantom 4's, trouble free. I have a brick.

That sucks. I'm really sorry.
Have you tried to do an update without the gimbal installed? I know the gimbal participates in the update in some way so if you suspect a faulty one, maybe remove it first and then add it afterward. I just replaced my gimbal and I know it will update "after the fact". Maybe try that route?

Reactions: Solo Keith
So I've had a problem out of the box, my controller will not shut down after an update the "device updated" check mark is displayed. Chatted with tech support, they said not to worry, if the controller has not shut it self off or left the update completed screen half for half an hour, to simply power cycle the controller.

Since then its the same story after every update. Annoying but no big deal. Except that some odd, non-repeatable bugs started happening on each and every flight. Go pro acting like it was collecting images, but not really. Controller screen failing mid-flight etc etc. After 20 flights where something has gone wrong out of 24 total flights, I'm amazed that I've not suffered at total system failure and crashed.

So, after total gimbal failure 8 times in a row I wrote to tech support in Late April. Sent logs and video samples of the problem. They asked me to rewire the gimbal and try again, promising to replace the gimbal if it failed again. 2 weeks of strong winds kept me grounded, but when I did fly, the gimbal failed again. 3DR demanded I do yet another set of tests, this time the gimbal is making a high pitch whining sound, cannot pitch lower than 80 degrees and is so hot the Gopro fails completely.

So I try a factory reset, and the device is now bricked. The first update after the reset crashes the controller, and the Solo refuses to pair. I reported this to 3DR along with all of my steps to try and correct the problem on May 9th. Contacted by 3DR support 4 days later telling me I need to send them some videos of my problem, before they would replace the Gimbal. I responded on the 9th that perhaps they should actually read customer emails before responding to existing issues.

So a week later, I still have a brick. I'm supposed to make this drone available to students in a week's time, and I have a brick. I've spent more in wages on endless updates / factory reset cycles than our non profit has spent on the Solo itself. All of my colleagues who ignored my warnings about DJI (see Flight of the Phantom) are out with their Phantom 4's, trouble free. I have a brick.
Have you considered maybe, I dunno, sending your Solo in to be checked out? I've heard that works sometimes.

I've been trying to do this for I dunno, a week now? Rude and condescending, have you considered a career at Comcast tech support? You would fit right in.
Thanks for responding exactly how I expected you to.
You aren't going to be taken seriously by folks if you've got only a handful of posts and they consist of mostly brand-negative content.

Trolling out of the gate does exactly who a favor? I have nothing to prove to you, I'm only recounting my experience with the Solo.

Your concern about brand negative content is curious. Tad bit oversensitive?

The worst thing about these forums is that there are always trolls like you who push new users away from the community, rather than pull them in. And in trolling the customers away, you damage the brand more than someone relating an honest problem.

Trolling out of the gate does exactly who a favor? I have nothing to prove to you, I'm only recounting my experience with the Solo.

Your concern about brand negative content is curious. Tad bit oversensitive?

The worst thing about these forums is that there are always trolls like you who push new users away from the community, rather than pull them in. And in trolling the customers away, you damage the brand more than someone relating an honest problem.
Okay, whatever. First time I've ever been called a troll.
Of course you'd never be confused for one though. Surely every right-minded person knows everyone goes on and on about what a brick their Solo is - and incidentally how horrible 3DR is for causing an educational obstruction (izzat right? Students,eh?).
At no time did you actually seek advice. You simply sought to complain and moan. You seek commiseration.
Good luck with that.

I have a tendency to check peoples prior posts before I reply. Doug you've never asked for help, you have only confirmed to others the same woes they have experienced. Misery loves company. No interest in finding a solution, just bitching. You started your rant in early April, it's middle of May and still a rant.

You fit the MO of a hundred others we've seen here on the forum. You've got a warranty, use it. Say your piece and move on.

If your behavior here is indicative of how you are working with support then no surprise you may not be getting anywhere
Support is made of humans, they are not perfect but tend to respond better to constructive steps rather than being talked down to.
I have an ongoing ticket right now. They seem to be responding quite well to me.

If your behavior here is indicative of how you are working with support then no surprise you may not be getting anywhere
Support is made of humans, they are not perfect but tend to respond better to constructive steps rather than being talked down to.
I have an ongoing ticket right now. They seem to be responding quite well to me.

No, 3DR support has never acted like a troll, so my response to your obvious lack of social skills has no bearing on my interactions with any third party.

I have a tendency to check peoples prior posts before I reply. Doug you've never asked for help, you have only confirmed to others the same woes they have experienced. Misery loves company. No interest in finding a solution, just bitching. You started your rant in early April, it's middle of May and still a rant.

You fit the MO of a hundred others we've seen here on the forum. You've got a warranty, use it. Say your piece and move on.

Wow. That's rather twisted logic. I'd love to use my warranty, but I cannot get 3dr support to even read through an email to figure out what is going wrong.

Honestly, you see a hundred others with the same issues and you do not see a problem here? News flash: When people report problems they are asking for help.

I am more than interested in finding a solution, I invested in this tool and I'll not get the chance to replace it. If the truth of how crappy this situation actually is bothers all of you, that's a pity, but I'll not be moving on.

Wow. That's rather twisted logic. I'd love to use my warranty, but I cannot get 3dr support to even read through an email to figure out what is going wrong.

Honestly, you see a hundred others with the same issues and you do not see a problem here? News flash: When people report problems they are asking for help.

I am more than interested in finding a solution, I invested in this tool and I'll not get the chance to replace it. If the truth of how crappy this situation actually is bothers all of you, that's a pity, but I'll not be moving on.
I rest my case...

Please explain. Is this forum only the good news club?

I reported a problem, but I did not think to ask for help, because that is what tech support is for. And then sneering condescension creates sneering condescension.

I'm glad things are working for you, but they are not for me, so please, by all means shoot the messenger.

Okay, whatever. First time I've ever been called a troll.
Of course you'd never be confused for one though. Surely every right-minded person knows everyone goes on and on about what a brick their Solo is - and incidentally how horrible 3DR is for causing an educational obstruction (izzat right? Students,eh?).
At no time did you actually seek advice. You simply sought to complain and moan. You seek commiseration.
Good luck with that.

Send my apologies to Pyrate, I thought I was responding to you. I'm not a troll, I'm just a pissed off researcher.

I do not seek commiseration, I seek to force 3D Robotics to honor their agreements through the time honored tradition of public shaming.

And yes, students. Students at one of the best field schools in the world.

many members here will downplay/turn a blind eye to Solo's shortcomings.

that said my experience with the support has been terrific. Same with their development team. The way the product launched was quite terrible and I was/am quite vocal about it but all in all they're doing a decent job in my own experiences.

Good luck with your issues. Hope it turns out favorably..we could always use more Solo advocates.

many members here will downplay/turn a blind eye to Solo's shortcomings.

that said my experience with the support has been terrific. Same with their development team. The way the product launched was quite terrible and I was/am quite vocal about it but all in all they're doing a decent job in my own experiences.

Good luck with your issues. Hope it turns out favorably..we could always use more Solo advocates.

Thanks twitchyzero.

The Solo flies like a dream. Despite the glitches, I've never flown anything as agile and intuitively responsive in years.

Just curious. How many times have you used their live chat?
I'd estimate I spent less than half an hour with them getting my gimbal replaced at no charge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo