solo app indicates GoPro update required

Reaction score
Solo app is telling me that GoPro needs an update to work with gimbal (got this error msg yesterday on two different Hero 4 Black cameras after both had worked fine the day before). Updates for camera (I'd done the Sept pre-gimbal one) don't seem available.
Can't get app to talk to solo and made the mistake of a test flight without the app connected, which resulted in a low level crash and a trip for some more propellers. Will bang away again today (figuratively, this time. I hope) and report back. Challenges have been constant to this point; however, @3drobotics continues to be very responsive with technical support and I'm really looking forward to getting the bugs ironed out and having all components working together as they should....consistently.

Solo app is telling me that GoPro needs an update to work with gimbal (got this error msg yesterday on two different Hero 4 Black cameras after both had worked fine the day before). Updates for camera (I'd done the Sept pre-gimbal one) don't seem available.
Can't get app to talk to solo and made the mistake of a test flight without the app connected, which resulted in a low level crash and a trip for some more propellers. Will bang away again today (figuratively, this time. I hope) and report back. Challenges have been constant to this point; however, @3drobotics continues to be very responsive with technical support and I'm really looking forward to getting the bugs ironed out and having all components working together as they should....consistently.

It appears that GoPro may be working on their update page. You used to be able to go to their "Software Update Page" on Support, Update Wireless, but it doesn't come up.

It appears that GoPro may be working on their update page. You used to be able to go to their "Software Update Page" on Support, Update Wireless, but it doesn't come up.

Thanks for the note, and could very well be GoPro getting updates posted....

I've updated from within the Android app (Hero4Black) and it was pretty slick compared to the wired approach required for Hero3 and before. No option for update within the app (as of last night). May go back to fixed mount / uninstall & reinstall android app to see if I can get app & controller talking

how'd the crash happen? did it not follow your control inputs or you were just flying w/o FPV?

crash was pilot error. flying without FPV and drone responded to inputs. landed solo and didn't get it powered off before it tried to regain altitude and subsequently crashed after clipping a bush

crash was pilot error. flying without FPV and drone responded to inputs. landed solo and didn't get it powered off before it tried to regain altitude and subsequently crashed after clipping a bush

until the Solo is a good 40ft away from any obstacles, i never go FPV and look at the screen. having a phantom 1 w/o FPV was nice in that it really showed me the difficulties of flying w/o seeing line of sight

until the Solo is a good 40ft away from any obstacles, i never go FPV and look at the screen. having a phantom 1 w/o FPV was nice in that it really showed me the difficulties of flying w/o seeing line of sight

the beautiful thing is--provided of course one doesn't hurt self or others/cause property damage--solo crashes like a champ.

check out my instagram for a tree/sidewalk collision that was violent enough to dislodge the battery

updated the solo app this afternoon and notwithstanding a couple of "sleeping gimbal" moments (never while recording, and pressing record woke it immediately) all looks good.

Got same message after solo update about needing to update a gopro while it was up to date.
This resulted in no-go for the video start button in the solo app.
Manually updated gopro to the same version (as their new update wirelessly process using the app was showing no updates), using the website and serial, downloaded an update.zip file. Solo app then forced me to change the solo_link name and wifi pwd as it must have reset something (as well as me having to put all my gopro settings back in). Next startup gopro video button was fine again, and message about needing update went away.

So I'm not sure if anyone else with this issue had troubles doing the solo update and had to repair/reset anything. But maybe the message can be fixed by essentially either changing solo wifi name or restoring gopro to defaults.

So far both has fixed that message for me.

Reactions: dougsymington
I had the same issue with my Hero 4 Black this morning. I shut everything down, pulled the GoPro, put it on wireless and went into the app to try to update. Couldn't find any update so I just pulled the Solo battery, put it back in, hooked the GoPro back up and everything functioned as it should.

Reactions: dougsymington

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc