Solo 3dr altitudes

FYI the 400ft thing in the USA for hobby use (non commercial/107) is actually not a law or regulation. It is a guideline, not enforceable or mandatory. The safety codes of various national organizations elaborate on this in their own ways. But under no circumstances is there an enforceable law or regulation requiring hobby use drones to remain below 400ft.

That said, things start getting more crowded, much bigger, and much faster above 400ft. You chance of creating a conflict with manned aircraft goes up significantly. And if you do, good luck explaining why your flight was not reckless.
You beat me to it Matt. Trust me, it makes us RPs crazy that we can't fly at night or above 400' (w/o waivers or authorization) but if we hide our RP hat we can go play and pretty much do anything we want. At the end of the day guidelines, rules, laws, go out the window until something really bad happens.

A while back I posted a link to a recent Congressional hearing on UAS Countermeasures focused on criminal use but also touched on 336. Bottom line is back in 2012 Congress passed a law that protects RC fliers which proceeds over any FAA authority. That was the basis for repealing the FAA registration requirement for non-commercial UAS until Congress went back and mandated it.

In the aforementioned hearing in her introduction comments the FAA rep made it perfectly clear that 336 must be replealed and replaced with laws that put the FAA in control of Hobby and Recreational UAS. Interestingly the AMA was not invited to participate in the hearing.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
You beat me to it Matt. Trust me, it makes us RPs crazy that we can't fly at night or above 400' (w/o waivers or authorization) but if we hide our RP hat we can go play and pretty much do anything we want. At the end of the day guidelines, rules, laws, go out the window until something really bad happens.

A while back I posted a link to a recent Congressional hearing on UAS Countermeasures focused on criminal use but also touched on 336. Bottom line is back in 2012 Congress passed a law that protects RC fliers which proceeds over any FAA authority. That was the basis for repealing the FAA registration requirement for non-commercial UAS until Congress went back and mandated it.

In the aforementioned hearing in her introduction comments the FAA rep made it perfectly clear that 336 must be replealed and replaced with laws that put the FAA in control of Hobby and Recreational UAS. Interestingly the AMA was not invited to participate in the hearing.
...the plot thickens…

Reactions: Michael Lione
If you want to know how far you can fly above the ground, it depends on battery power to get up & back down again.

I saw a video once from somebody in Mexico. He claimed he flew up to 1000’ (AGL) and the battery ran out of juice about 50’ above the ground on the way down.

His son caught it- now they call him “Lefty”.o_O
Actually that was me!!! In Mexico coming down from a 1000’ it fell the last 50’ and he caught it but cut his finger!! I’ve been up 3200’ with Solo and had plenty of juice to come down. I have some interesting video of that. Here in the states 400’ is the limit.

Actually that was me!!! In Mexico coming down from a 1000’ it fell the last 50’ and he caught it but cut his finger!! I’ve been up 3200’ with Solo and had plenty of juice to come down. I have some interesting video of that. Here in the states 400’ is the limit.
Dang- I thought it was somebody from here! Good thing I didn’t make up a bunch of BS.
3200’ above the ground? I had no idea it was possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc