Solo 3dr altitudes

Are you asking in regards to physical capabilities of the Solo or airspace regulations for drones?

no more than 400ft Above Ground Level. Unless of course you have your part 107 in which case it's no more than 400ft Above Ground Level. See a pattern here?
So those are the US airspace regulations.

Physics-wise: I've flown solo above 7,000 ft ASL. I think some have exceeded 10,000 ft ASL. I will be doing some flying in that neighborhood (+10,000 ft) later this year.

So those are the US airspace regulations.

Physics-wise: I've flown solo above 7,000 ft ASL. I think some have exceeded 10,000 ft ASL. I will be doing some flying in that neighborhood (+10,000 ft) later this year.
You're right, those are US regulations. As for how high you've flown your drone.... I'm contacting an Astronaut right now to bring a solo with them on their next mission, going to blow those figures out of the water..

... damn... they said it was too big to fit on board....

Reactions: backcountryice
You're right, those are US regulations. As for how high you've flown your drone.... I'm contacting an Astronaut right now to bring a solo with them on their next mission, going to blow those figures out of the water..

... damn... they said it was too big to fit on board....
Bahahaha

It helps that I live at 5,100 ft and am surrounded by mountain peaks exceeding 11,000 ft.

So basically when I do backyard tests, they are above 5,000 ft ASL. I envy those of you with that thick air!

Reactions: timgilley
no more than 400ft Above Ground Level. Unless of course you have your part 107 in which case it's no more than 400ft Above Ground Level. See a pattern here?
...Or 400 Ft above the nearest tower or other Airspace hazard structure such as a tall buildiing, wind turbine, etc.

Last edited:
If you want to know how far you can fly above the ground, it depends on battery power to get up & back down again.

I saw a video once from somebody in Mexico. He claimed he flew up to 1000’ (AGL) and the battery ran out of juice about 50’ above the ground on the way down.

His son caught it- now they call him “Lefty”.o_O

I live in a hilly area in PDX and I'm surrounded by mostly.............. moron's... Hey, come on, it's hippy central here... You want to make it big here? Open a Bongo shop.....

Folks, please encourage the newbies to fly legally and safely. :D

FYI the 400ft thing in the USA for hobby use (non commercial/107) is actually not a law or regulation. It is a guideline, not enforceable or mandatory. The safety codes of various national organizations elaborate on this in their own ways. But under no circumstances is there an enforceable law or regulation requiring hobby use drones to remain below 400ft.

That said, things start getting more crowded, much bigger, and much faster above 400ft. You chance of creating a conflict with manned aircraft goes up significantly. And if you do, good luck explaining why your flight was not reckless.

So you went from being the always present guru to being a lurker?

:p

Glad to see you're still around.

Can the same argument be made for night flying?

Plus you should know, I'm reckless on the ground, not just the air....

FYI the 400ft thing in the USA for hobby use (non commercial/107) is actually not a law or regulation. It is a guideline, not enforceable or mandatory. The safety codes of various national organizations elaborate on this in their own ways. But under no circumstances is there an enforceable law or regulation requiring hobby use drones to remain below 400ft.

That said, things start getting more crowded, much bigger, and much faster above 400ft. You chance of creating a conflict with manned aircraft goes up significantly. And if you do, good luck explaining why your flight was not reckless.
Hey Matt, good to see you’re still around. Hope all is well.

Can the same argument be made for night flying?

Night flight is also not prohibited by law or regulation. The various community based organization safety codes all handle this pretty much the same way. You're required to maintain visual line of sight using lighting adequate to do so. The Solo's built in lighting is pretty good for that. Open Solo's aviation mode lighting is even better. And the @Maddog lights make it great.

This again is for hobby use in the USA. Commercial use is different, and i know nothing about other country's laws.

Night flight is also not prohibited by law or regulation. The various community based organization safety codes all handle this pretty much the same way. You're required to maintain visual line of sight using lighting adequate to do so. The Solo's built in lighting is pretty good for that. Open Solo's aviation mode lighting is even better. And the @Maddog lights make it great.

This again is for hobby use in the USA. Commercial use is different, and i know nothing about other country's laws.
THanks for the good words Matt!

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles

Aye brings up the old argument again that the FAA is screwing people over. Become a commercial pilot and get slapped with more restrictions and fines than a non commercial pilot. Seems to me that it should be the other way around.

And also.... welcome back! You've been missed!

Can someone tell me how high I can fly my drone solo 3drView attachment 9142
They say that the drone rule book says not to go over 400' altitude...I'd stay lower than that depending on where you live..most use their best judgement..I live in the sticks so I'll push it once in a while,been over 1400' several times...I don't necessarily recommend that though..but at the end of the day it is your drone,be careful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle