Solex for Solo

Hi I have a quick question. I haven't turned on my Solo in probably 10 months. Had a baby, not much free time right now. Last night I did all Solex updates on my tablet to make sure I'm up to date (a lot has changed and Solex continues to impress since I last seen it).

Anyway, I went out today and couldn't get my GoPro4 Black to show on the main screen of Solex. Just a black screen. When I click on the little binocular type logo in the bottom right of the app, I can see a split screen of live video from the camera, but nothing on the main screen. Did a couple restarts and still nothing.

Am I missing something simple?

I went ahead and purchased Solex, still without a clear answer about Missions, and indeed Missions requires a $20 in-app purchase. This is *not* mentioned anywhere on the Solex web page, and I really think it should be. I will correct the review on Google Play that suggests that Missions comes with it.

All that being said, I do look forward to using Solex and Missions, because Tower crashing has become a problem and we rely on this platform for several research projects.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Does solex work on Android pie? I took my solo out for the first time since my pixel 2 was updated to pie and found that the solo app and tower won't work anymore. I'd rather not have to get a tablet that will run a older version of android.

Reactions: dchevy
I'm considering purchasing the mission planner add-on to the Solex app for the terrain following ability. It's a VERY useful feature but all the info I could find is that the app uses an API to determine the elevation, what is the resolution/accuracy of this? Where does the data come from? Does it require an internet connection?

In mission planner on my PC I am able to upload a DEM and use that for elevation data, can I do something similar with Solex missions?

Does solex work on Android pie? I took my solo out for the first time since my pixel 2 was updated to pie and found that the solo app and tower won't work anymore. I'd rather not have to get a tablet that will run a older version of android.
Says it works with latest version 1.7.5 as pie was on update release.

FYI, yes Solex works fine on Android 9 (Pie)! All functions and video streaming.

The Tower app does not work on pie, and there is no current development on that from Ardupilot unless someone who knows how volunteers.

The 3DR Solo app also does *not* work on pie. It likely never will either. 3dr never released the app open source for anyone else to update it. I think this will be the 3dr apps final demise.

The QGC app also works in pie, but I have never used it.

Last edited:
Can anyone answer this question or possibly point me in the correct direction of a setting menu?
Is I just me or does the video feed on solex seem of a lower quality that on the original solo app?
The quality that I receive on my solex app resembles the quality that you see when you hit record within solo app.

The standard viewing quality of the video stream in the solo app seems a lot higher quality.

Is there a reason for this

Can anyone answer this question or possibly point me in the correct direction of a setting menu?
Is I just me or does the video feed on solex seem of a lower quality that on the original solo app?
The quality that I receive on my solex app resembles the quality that you see when you hit record within solo app.

The standard viewing quality of the video stream in the solo app seems a lot higher quality.

Is there a reason for this

Solex uses the same method for getting video from the Solo that the 3DR app does, so there should be no difference.

Must be something my end then. On two devices the standard solo app seems a lot higher resolution or a bit more gopro ish video style. Where as the sole seems a little more grainy. Sort of difference that you get between 720 and 1080p.

Is there a way to view the health/status of the solo prior to take off within Solex? I had a recent crash and trying to narrow down if it was possibly the compass that caused the error or possibly something else I just overlooked prior to flight. I was thinking that if there was a compass error it would tell you on the controller and wouldn't even let you take off.

Below is an example from DJI Go. If something is not "Normal" it will turn red and provide a warning.

1543292742964.png

This is a pretty cool idea. It's worth noting that if there's something wrong with your compass, GPS, etc, pre-arm checks will prevent you taking off, and you'll see a red "error" bar at the top of the screen telling you which pre-arm check failed. But I still like the idea of an "overall status" screen to display somewhere.

Can anybody suggest a fix to Solex simply not detecting any of my birds?

No change to tablet, galaxy tab S2 SM-T713 on android 7.0. I hadn't flown in a few months and since about 6 weeks ago Solex simply doesn't connect.

Never thought I'd say this, but I've reverted to the Solo App and it's working fine.

Last edited:
Can anybody suggest a fix to Solex simply not detecting any of my birds?

No change to tablet, galaxy tab S2 SM-T713 on android 7.0. I hadn't flown in a few months and since about 6 weeks ago Solex simply doesn't connect.

Never thought I'd say this, but I've reverted to the Solo App and it's working fine.

Can you describe the behavior you're seeing? You start Solex and it does... what? I assume you went ahead and pressed the "Connect" button at some point before posting here, right? I know it sounds like an obvious question, but a change in the last 6-7 months to Solex's connection logic means you have to press Connect the first time you connect to one of your vehicles before it will try to connect.

Reactions: fvincent
Can you describe the behavior you're seeing? You start Solex and it does... what? I assume you went ahead and pressed the "Connect" button at some point before posting here, right? I know it sounds like an obvious question, but a change in the last 6-7 months to Solex's connection logic means you have to press Connect the first time you connect to one of your vehicles before it will try to connect.
Yep, tried that. I have used Solex happily since you released it, I would say I'm in between a novice and advanced user. The only thing I hadn't tried was reinstalling, which I just did reluctantly and it now works on all birds/controllers... go figure?

Yep, tried that. I have used Solex happily since you released it, I would say I'm in between a novice and advanced user. The only thing I hadn't tried was reinstalling, which I just did reluctantly and it now works on all birds/controllers... go figure?

Wow that's weird. Usually I recommend doing a "clear data" instead of a re-install, but in your case, I guess re-install is the way to go. Glad you got it going!

Not much to explain on the behaviour... I was always out in the field on mapping jobs. Start app as usual, and it simply wouldn't recognise any birds regardless of the bird or which controller I was connected too. Solex was set to update automatically over my hiatus from flying. The reinstall has fixed it.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Do the docs for Solex exist anywhere other than the app? I saw a Dropbox file but it wasn’t in a readily readable format.

Also, this is a dumb question, how do I switch between screens on the app? So far I’ve had to restart the app to get from the settings menu back to the opening screen. I’m not that familiar with Android, I’m an iOS person. I have a dedicated Android tablet for Solo.

Do the docs for Solex exist anywhere other than the app? I saw a Dropbox file but it wasn’t in a readily readable format.

Also, this is a dumb question, how do I switch between screens on the app? So far I’ve had to restart the app to get from the settings menu back to the opening screen. I’m not that familiar with Android, I’m an iOS person. I have a dedicated Android tablet for Solo.

Try Solex for the docs.

On Android, you utilize the Back button (the little arrow on the device) to back out of a screen.

On Android said:
That’s what I’ve been doing, I just found it a bit odd not to have a single button way of toggling between the various main screens instead of back-back-back-back-back. Thus why I was restarting the app. I’m trying to get familiar with it before I try flying with it. Thanks!

Just had a chance to test a Solex (installed on June 26, 2019 + missions add-on + geo-tagging add-on) Survey mission using an Open Solo drone ( standard hardware) . It looks like the Solex app got updated on July 29, 2019.

I created 3 Way Points : 1= take-off, 2=Survey (altitude: 118.11ft, speed 24.45 mph, Gimbal Angle =0) , 3= RTL
Set Vehicle type = Drone
SetCamera = GoPro Black ( set to take a pic every 2 seconds)
Enabled terrain following.

As soon as mission started I noticed the Gimbal stayed at 90 degrees( looking forward) and speed was too low: 11 mph ( default mission speed). I ended up correcting gimbal to point down and was able to complete mission with one battery ( small area).

1-I am not sure why drone speed during the mission was not set to the speed defined under Survey and reverted to default value? Have I missed a step or a setting?

2- Will Solex control/trigger camera based on camera type, speed and altitude ( like Tower used to )?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc