Solex for Solo

O.K.. I did a test flight and the arrow in the white circle came up showing me my position. This time my tablet was on and connected when the Solo got a GPS lock. Earlier my controller and Solo where on for about 10 minutes before I powered up my tablet and connected the app. Maybe this was the problem. Any comments?

Is it possible to change the FOV on a GoPro 4 Black using the Solex app.
I have played around with the app but cannot find any setting for this.
I have tried the +/- EV Comp buttons, but they do not seem to function. What are they suppose to do.
Forgive the noob question.

In the stock app, it has the setting to change the FOV, but a second or two after I change it, it reverts back to the original setting.
In Solex, sometimes the "buttons" do not highlight as active, perhaps it has to do with the order in which each device is turned on.

Reactions: Dougneal
Is it possible to change the FOV on a GoPro 4 Black using the Solex app.
I have played around with the app but cannot find any setting for this.
I have tried the +/- EV Comp buttons, but they do not seem to function. What are they suppose to do.
Forgive the noob question.

You need to have ProTune on (through the GoPro app) in order to change EV settings through Solex. I'm not sure if you can change the FOV through Solex, since I leave it at medium.

Just be sure to turn off WiFi on the GoPro before flight.

Again, This is a courtesy repost from Kelly Schrock's FB page.
Kelly is a member of 3DRPiolts.com @Kelly Schrock . He is the Judge, Jury & Executioner of Solex.
If you have bought or have a Pre-questions the program "Solex" & need help, Then Type @Kelly Schrock he will get your request. You can find him at his FB page or Solex.​

Kelly Schrock
July 15 at 1:50pm
Hey everybody, here's a hot n' thirsty release of Solex, 1.4.9. Here's what's in it:

Inception

There's a new smart shot called "Inception". It flies the copter up and away from its start location, pausing to take pictures at a specific point (and beyond it). It's used to make those crazy-looking "Inception"-style shots. So cool, they even made a movie named after it.
1f603.png
:-D Note that this works best when it's calm. If it's windy, you may need to use
the yaw stick to make sure it's pointed straight ahead (it does its best to do this on its own), or do some correction of the images in an image editor afterward. I was going to use an image from this shot in this post, but I haven't actually figured out how to edit the photos together so they look reasonable. So you get a picture of a Solo instead.

EPM Gripper Action

Basically the only mission action I hadn't included yet, so it's in there now. I doubt there are many Solos out there with EPM Grippers on them, but if there are, that person (or maybe pair of people) can operate it from within a Solex mission.

IMU and Compass Calibration

The 3DR Solo app does IMU and compass calibration, and it seems like it would be nice to be able to do that from within Solex. It has for a while, as a matter of fact. So now you can.

Individual Motor Test

In the Vehicles screen, each motor on your Solo has a "RESET" button that resets the hours for it if you end up replacing a motor pod. Next to it, there is now a "TEST" button that spins the motor at 20% throttle for 5 seconds so you can see if it's working, how it sounds, etc. This is definitely a "take the props off first" sort of thing to do.

Minor bug fixes

Someone pointed out that whenever they changed the Speed setting in Vehicle Settings, the Mission Speed setting would change to the same value after several seconds. I thought that was pretty nuts, and then I tried it myself. Sure enough, it was doing that. The good news is, it isn't anymore.

Fix Inception issue

A couple of people who know what they're talking about observed Inception doing some weird things. In one case, Inception was taking off in the wrong direction when doing a second shot. It was also not updating the sliders to the last-used values (which it was supposed to be doing). Another guy said it was taking off at high speed in the direction of a previously-flown shot. These phrases: "high speed"... "wrong way"... in reference to a smart shot, are indicators that an update should be shipped sooner than later, so here you go.

I tried reproducing this behavior, and haven't been able to. In fact, I cannot understand how it's POSSIBLE for it to do this, since pressing "Start" on the Inception shot generates a new mission and sends it, only switching to AUTO once it gets notified that the new mission has been sent to the vehicle.

So, this update contains a few things that I expect will help. First, it clears the copter of any missions at all before it sends the new one. If the mission somehow fails to send, it won't have a mission to fly at all, and shouldn't be taking off in the direction of anything when it switches to AUTO. When you stop the shot, it clears the mission, so if you somehow switch to AUTO for some other reason, there's no mission onboard to fly. This should also fix the issue of it taking off in the wrong direction, which I suspect was a variation of the same problem (starting a mission that was already loaded).

I had the default Focus Distance set to 500 meters. Oops, I meant feet. That works out to 1640 feet, which is way too far for a default. The default shot height is about 130 feet. The default shot count is now 4, but of course you can adjust it with the "Count" field.

There's some additional speaking going on during the shot. It tells when it's generating points, sending points, and when the points are set. ("points" == mission).

I'll be interested to hear from Ian Hudson and Andrew Callis to see what they're seeing with this update.

DroneKit SYSID_THISMAV crash fix

In the "Oh, also" category: This won't affect anyone, unless you changed your SYSID_THISMAV parameter to some value greater than 127. (You would normally only do this if you have multiple machines on the same network.)
There was a bug in DroneKit that caused a crash in this case, fixed in a later version.

Here's a picture of a cool sunset, literally the only picture I've taken since1.4.9 (besides a picture of some steaks on the grill
1f603.png
:-D )

Last edited:
Concerning the "Battery" tab in the Solex app. Is that just a "note pad" type setup for keeping track of individual battery performance, or does it actually record battery data during a flight, and if so, how does one record this data?

Concerning the "Battery" tab in the Solex app. Is that just a "note pad" type setup for keeping track of individual battery performance, or does it actually record battery data during a flight, and if so, how does one record this data?
The little that i know, the app automatically knows when a new battery is used & then starts to monitoring usage. Hours, times used ect... It allows you to give it a name like/,Battery #1, then you can psychically I.D. that battery. I suggest reading the manual for more info.

I have read the manual, that's how I know it's there, just haven't found out how it works yet.

Was just out today using my Solo w/Solex (on Galaxy Tab A 8") after not flying for a while. Tried using the "Orbit" mode, but could not for the life of me get it to actually start flying the orbit. Neither left/right "start" arrow would work. Tried rebooting everything and tried again. Same problem.

Anyone else have a problem getting Orbit to actually start? Or am I just an idiot and don't know where to click to get the orbit orbiting? ;)
I am not able to get orbit to work. If I go up to where I see fly mode I can get circle but can't control distance or direction! Don't know how to connect with solex for help!

Anyone using a Huawei MediaPad M3 with Solex? I'm thinking about getting it purely for use with Solex.

Does Solex allow for having multiple Solo profiles? Let's say that one more modded would have faster and higher settings. The other, stock, would have slower settings.
Is it possible?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986