Solex for Solo

So, quick question as i'm new to Solex and just played around with it for a bit this evening. When I tried to put it in follow me (optical) mode, it asked for parameters for FOV? What are those parameters and how do I find them? I know it's probably something super simple but I must be overlooking them. Thanks!

You have to calibrate your viewing angle for the camera FOV you're using. Go to "Calibrate viewing angle" on the main menu, and follow the prompts there. If you'd rather not do that right then, just put in something in the range of 120 x 90 for a viewing angle, which is fairly close. It will work, just not as accurately.

Reactions: mattshup
@Kelly Schrock While the use case is tracking over water, I haven't made it that far yet. Like @SkyDoctor stated, we're both having an issue where Solex/Solo will track an object with the camera, but won't change position (fly). Can you help us out and offer a hint as to why Solo won't move? I've calibrated the viewing angle and am testing by wearing an orange jacket walking in an empty blacktop parking lot. I watched the youtube video (linked above) and believe that I'm doing the same steps, but it seems like I'm missing a "move while following" option.

I'm not sure it's relevant, but I'm running Solex 1.2.6 on an Asus Nexus 7 running Android 6.0.1

Reactions: SkyDoctor
@Kelly Schrock While the use case is tracking over water, I haven't made it that far yet. Like @SkyDoctor stated, we're both having an issue where Solex/Solo will track an object with the camera, but won't change position (fly). Can you help us out and offer a hint as to why Solo won't move? I've calibrated the viewing angle and am testing by wearing an orange jacket walking in an empty blacktop parking lot. I watched the youtube video (linked above) and believe that I'm doing the same steps, but it seems like I'm missing a "move while following" option.

I'm not sure it's relevant, but I'm running Solex 1.2.6 on an Asus Nexus 7 running Android 6.0.1

Ah, I meant to reply to this earlier, but the little "message alerts" thing on this site went gray and I couldn't find the post. :)

When you're doing Follow/Optical, it starts out in "Look at target" mode. In that case, your Solo will just pan to look at you as you move. To get it to fly along with you, turn "Look at target" off, and it will start following. If you re-select the target, it will switch back into "Look at target" mode, since it makes it a lot easier to select a target when Solo isn't flying around at the same time.

Thanks,
Kelly

Reactions: mikeo and SkyDoctor
Ah, I meant to reply to this earlier, but the little "message alerts" thing on this site went gray and I couldn't find the post. :)

When you're doing Follow/Optical, it starts out in "Look at target" mode. In that case, your Solo will just pan to look at you as you move. To get it to fly along with you, turn "Look at target" off, and it will start following. If you re-select the target, it will switch back into "Look at target" mode, since it makes it a lot easier to select a target when Solo isn't flying around at the same time.

Thanks,
Kelly
Thank you Sir, I will try that straight away. Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Hey Kelly,

Any hints on what the Big Update is gonna have?

Last edited:
Reactions: mattshup
Just picked up a Solo and I need to know if the Solex app and Solo will work with the first gen Nexus 7. All I ever see mentioned is the Nexus (2013). Thanks

Just picked up a Solo and I need to know if the Solex app and Solo will work with the first gen Nexus 7. All I ever see mentioned is the Nexus (2013). Thanks

I use the Solo app and the Solex app on a first gen Nexus 7. Google Play would not let me install the SOLO app on my Nexus 7. I had to use an APK Installer to get it. I was able to install Solex from Google Play. They both work without any problems, but I now only use Solex.

After hours and hours of reading, searching, I found this on YouTube. It works, installed 3DR Solo app on my Nexus7 (2015) model, and my Alcatel Trac Phone. Still tinkering with my new Solo, and not real happy, but it will get better. Ordered a couple of the upgrade Wi-Fi cards, as the Wi-Fi on my Solo seems pretty weak. And will install a M8N GPS soon, the stock one takes forever to lock on.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the help. Is there a current link to the Solex documintation

Does Solex allow you to see the compass variation? If not it would be great to have this information available, heck even if it allowed the variation alarm to show so you would know to move from the current location or land to recalibrate.

As important as this is I am hoping it already has this available. I get my new android tablet in a couple days and cant wait to get Solex!

@Kelly Schrock Love the app, and thank you. Still having a little trouble though. Solex will not save anything to my tablet anymore. It would never save to the SD card. I have uninstalled, deleted everything external and internal and re-installed and it still won't work. I have clicked the store files externally, doesn't seem to have any affect other then now it isn't saving anything to the internal storage.

I am going to delete and re-install again, do you have a suggestions or best practices for the install? Everything else on the app is amazing.

Love it...all we need now is to "plead and beg" Kelly to add waypoints and POI capabilities for pre-planning our autonomous flights :))

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela