Solex connection issue

Reaction score
Absolutely love Solex and use it almost exclusively. Just added a 3rd Solo, a refurb. Running that bird, Solex sees the wifi connection, but not Solo. It works great with my two other Solos. The regular Solo app connects to the new Solo with no problem. The only difference between this one and the other two is I don't have a gimbal installed on the new aircraft.

Controller and Solo are 2.4.2. Solex is 1.2.6. Rooted Galaxy Tab3 running Android 4.4.2

Any ideas?

I guess its possible the no gimbal might be doing something odd on Solex, only Kelly could tell us.
I did once have to uninstall solex and reinstall it for a connection to take

I connect Solex to two other Solos with the same tablet. It's just the one bird that I have a problem with.
The only difference between this one and the other two is I don't have a gimbal installed on the new aircraft..
I guess its possible the no gimbal might be doing something odd on Solex, only Kelly could tell us.
That, combined with antique OS ver 4.4.2?
  1. By your own admission there is a "difference"
  2. pyrate hypothesized that the problem could be no gimbal found by Solex
  3. I further hypothesized that the combination of pyrate's theory, with that of a very old OS version (that Solex doesn't like) could be the culprit.

1. By your own admission there is a "difference"
  2. pyrate hypothesized that the problem could be no gimbal found by Solex
  3. I further hypothesized that the combination of pyrate's theory, with that of a very old OS version (that Solex doesn't like) could be the culprit.

To be honest, I haven't tested it without a gimbal specifically, but it should still get a video stream (assuming you do have a camera on it, haha), and there shouldn't be an issue with it connecting. I'm a little puzzled by it not connecting. What does it do? Just hang at "Looking for Vehicle"?

To be honest, I haven't tested it without a gimbal specifically, but it should still get a video stream (assuming you do have a camera on it, haha), and there shouldn't be an issue with it connecting. I'm a little puzzled by it not connecting. What does it do? Just hang at "Looking for Vehicle"?
@T Bird's problem with Solex only exists on one bird while using the combo of his old 4.4.2 OS and no gimbal. Allegedly works with 4.4.2 AND gimbal. I didn't know Solex worked at all with that old OS. He was also running Solex 1.2.6 - two versions behind the way you write updates! :)

Reactions: morris
@T Bird's problem with Solex only exists on one bird while using the combo of his old 4.4.2 OS and no gimbal. Allegedly works with 4.4.2 AND gimbal. I didn't know Solex worked at all with that old OS. He was also running Solex 1.2.6 - two versions behind the way you write updates! :)

Come on @T Bird, try to keep up. :)

Really, 4.4.2 is the oldest Android version Solex can work with. But I don't really see that as being a problem. It's kind of mystery why it wouldn't connect to that particular Solo if the 3DR app is connecting to it with no problems.

Really, 4.4.2 is the oldest Android version Solex can work with. But I don't really see that as being a problem. It's kind of mystery why it wouldn't connect to that particular Solo if the 3DR app is connecting to it with no problems.
Probably pilot error?? ;)

OK, I upgraded the tablet to Nougat 7.1 and installed Solex 1.2.9. Now Solex connects to the Solo without the gimbal, but not to the ones with a gimbal. Very frustrating. Tablet is connecting to the controller wifi network. Once connected to the wifi network, I can ssh from the tablet to both the controller and the aircraft, so all is good there. Solex app shows the wifi connection but not Solo. 3DR app connects to everything with no problem.

In answer to your previous question, the black status bar says 'Not Connected' on the left and 'Wifi: SoloLink_[current network id]' on the right.

Last edited:
OK, I upgraded the tablet to Nougat 7.1 and installed Solex 1.2.9. Now Solex connects to the Solo without the gimbal, but not to the ones with a gimbal. Very frustrating. Tablet is connecting to the controller wifi network. Once connected to the wifi network, I can ssh from the tablet to both the controller and the aircraft, so all is good there. Solex app shows the wifi connection but not Solo. 3DR app connects to everything with no problem.

In answer to your previous question, the black status bar says 'Not Connected' on the left and 'Wifi: SoloLink_[current network id]' on the right.

Here's a weird request: Once it's connected to the relevant wifi for the Solo you're trying to connect to, press back to close Solex, and re-open it. Let me know what it does. (Helpful on my end for debugging). Thanks.

I closed Solex with the back arrow, then re-opened. No difference. Then I went into developer options and closed the cached Solex process, then re-started Solex. No difference.
In case you're not aware, Android 7 doesn't have the app manager anymore. You have to go into services to close apps running in the background.
I'm pretty comfortable poking around under the hood, so just let me know whatever I can do to help from this end.
Thanks!

Any ideas on this, @Kelly Schrock ?

Someone who's had Solex for a long time (since August) mentioned having difficulty connecting to a couple of Solos. In that case, it was a preference entry written by Solex when it actually wasn't handling multiple Solos. Clearing the data for the app fixed it. So, how long have you had Solex installed? Has it been since something like 1.1.0 or thereabouts? I can't think why it wouldn't be able to recognize all of them.

I bought Solex around then, also. Don't know what the original v was. I installed a new OS and reinstalled Solex, so app data is probably not an issue, but I will try that anyway. I'll let you know tomorrow.

That seems to be the issue. The OS update to 7 wiped out just about everything on the device, but clearing the app data mostly fixed things. Here's where it stands:
First Solo (w gimbal) connected as expected. Yay!
Set up second Solo (w gimbal). Home screen showed 'Looking for vehicle', as opposed to the previous message of 'Not connected'. Waited a bit, it never showed as connected. Went into the vehicle screen, and it was connected. Went back to home screen, still showed 'Looking for vehicle'. I confirmed that it was connected to the current Solo, and the home screen message never updated. So that works, just wrong message on home screen.
Then I set up Solo w/o gimbal. This one didn't connect at all until I cleared the app data again. Then it worked correctly.
Went back to the first Solo, and it worked correctly w/o clearing data.

It appears that there may be a config or prefs file with incorrect settings, just as you mentioned. Can I manually edit the file to set preferences so that each Solo works without have to reset stuff?

I am getting a similar 'Looking for vehicle' message on a new Solex 1.5.9 install on a LG G4 Android phone. Both the Solo App and the Tower App connect to the Solo. I can connect to Solo with a PC as well.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Solex. I also did a full factory reset of the Solo and then updated both the controller and solo to the 3DR 2.5.4 version.

Last edited:
I am having getting a similar 'Looking for vehicle' message on a new Solex 1.5.9 install on a LG G4 Android phone. Both the Solo App and the Tower App connect to the Solo. I can connect to Solo with a PC as well.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Solex. I also did a full factory reset of the Solo so that the controller and solo and update both the controller and solo to 2.5.4 version.

What other apps do you have running at the time? Any others that might be connected to your vehicle?

Reactions: davidjames

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea