Solex connection issue

Kelly, Thank you for the comment. I had thought something like that might be happening. I have tried poweroff and restart, so I am pretty sure there was nothing else connected. The wifi connects to the solo controller and I check to see that the Solo app and Tower are not running. Solex never connects, just shows 'Looking for Vehicle'.

A couple of times I have run the Solo App, connected up to the Solo(video streaming) and then shut the Solo App down. Then run the Tower App(video streaming) shut the tower app down. Checked to make sure neither the Solo App or Tower are running. Run Solex (Wifi still connected) but still get 'Looking for Vehicle' and I do not see video streaming.

I have also tried starting with no Wifi connection to the Solo controller, and establishing the wifi connection via Solex.

Are there any diagnostics I can get from Solex?

Dave

What other apps do you have running at the time? Any others that might be connected to your vehicle?
I am pretty sure nothing else was running. I will retest this evening.

Looks like the problem may be that I haven't been able to turn on the "Modify Systems Settings" permission for Solex. Solex asks for this to be turned after installation but I am unable to do in in Solex the first time it is run. Later looking at the "Modify System Settings" configurations, Solex is not in the list, so it cannot be enabled there

Last edited:
What other apps do you have running at the time? Any others that might be connected to your vehicle?
No apps running. Solo App and Tower are both off.

I am using an LG-G4. Solex installs but I have not been able to turn on "Modify System Settings" when I first run Solex. Android settings does not show Solex as an application that I can enable modify systems settings in. Any ideas for how to work around this problem?

Here is the software configuration of my solo:

Solo 2.4.2
Autopilot 1.3.1
Controller 2.4.2
Controller Firmware 1.2.11
Gimbal 1.3.6

Kelly,

I have installed Solex 1.5.9 on my old VS985 smart phone with Android 6.0. It works! I get the same message about enabling modification of system settings and am not able to change the setting but Solex connects and works well anyway.

I have updated my Solo to Open Solo. Solex on my old VS985 smart phone works well. It has been updated to Solex 1.6. I have to say I really like the full screen streaming video display and symbology.

I still have the problem connecting to the Solo with Solex on my G4 Android smart phone with Android 6.0. Solex updated to 1.6, and I uninstalled and reinstalled. No success yet.

The first time I run Solex I get a message that application overlays are blocking the enable modify system setting for Solex. However even if I turn off overlays for all applications, modification of system settings can not be enabled when Solex requests it. I can see the slider to turn modification on, but it is lightly faded out and I cannot change it with the touch screen.

Both the 3DR Solo App and Tower connect though.

Last edited:
EDIT: My original post turned into a stream of test and results then I kept coming back and testing more.
I have the same issue with 3rd controller aka Vehicle not connecting to Solex.

Run down of set up.

I have 3x solo's 2x devices tested. I am going to abbreviate Quad to B for bird and number and controller to C.

Nexus 6: Android 6.0
Solex: 1.6 updated since about June 2017 so there have been many version.
B1 C1 |Solex: OK | SoloAPP: OK | 100% Stock
B2 C2 | Solex: OK | SoloAPP: OK | Opensolo Stock
B3 C3 | Solex: No | SoloAPP: OK | Opensolo Stock
Note: I connected them to the Solex app in that order

ShieldTV: Android 7 something it is up to date.
Solex: 1.6 side loaded on top of one other version from mid summer when I test to see if it worked on android tv.
B1 C1 | Solex: OK | SoloAPP: OK | 100% Stock
B3 C3 | Solex: OK | SoloAPP: OK | Opensolo Stock
B2 C2 | Solex: No | SoloAPP: OK | Opensolo Stock
Note: I connected them to the Solex app in that order.

I can pair any Bird to an established working controller (aka if it was one of the first two to connect) and it will work in the Solex app

I feel that Solex isn't a fan of a 3rd controller.

Has anyone had any success connecting 3 or more controllers to Solex?

Last edited:
6D85E534-678A-42F6-820C-33DF8B105773.jpeg 5EC76F8C-BF62-4542-B48C-0D476318B8D6.jpeg 0D39E0C5-1ED0-4381-8BF1-7CD265A6A196.jpeg I have a similar issue. 2 solos lets call them SoloAlpha and SoloBeta (name only no reference to soft/firmwares).

Updated my old SoloAlpha to open solo 2.5 last year, no problem. Updated it to 3.0 tonight no problems.

When I WiFi connect the other craft SoloBeta, Solex sees the controller but not the craft. Says Type = no vehicle.
I want to put Open Solo on this craft.

With Tower or Solo app I see the craft, video, etc. Can hit Fly button and motors spin up.

But Solex only sees the controller.

I uninstalled Solex, rebooted, reinstalled Solex, no change.
No other apps running.

Shield K1 7.0. it did an update last night since it’s been a while since I’ve used it too.
Solex App optimization is Off
I tried Custom but the limited options did not help.
Security patch level January 5, 2018

As reported from 3DR Solo app:
Solo. 2.4.2
Autopilot 1.3.1
Gimbal 1.36
Controller 2.4.2
Controller firmware 1.2.11

Any ideas? Photos are from the problem solo

Have not flown my solo’s since fall, hoping to fly this weekend.

Thanks for the great app! This is my first snag

Attachments

• E227FEF3-8423-4C21-A4B7-0A75B068C659.jpeg
    E227FEF3-8423-4C21-A4B7-0A75B068C659.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • D65A49B0-F0D1-465F-8D29-607F01603D63.jpeg
    D65A49B0-F0D1-465F-8D29-607F01603D63.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
View attachment 8520 View attachment 8521 View attachment 8522 I have a similar issue. 2 solos lets call them SoloAlpha and SoloBeta (name only no reference to soft/firmwares).

Updated my old SoloAlpha to open solo 2.5 last year, no problem. Updated it to 3.0 tonight no problems.

This looks like a case of it not being connected. What happens when you click "Connect"? Solex uses the same method to connect to the Solo that Tower and the 3DR app both use.

Bingo, thank you Kelly, that worked, connected to the copter, calibrated, and ready to fly on 3.0.
The answer was right in front of me.

After the update to OpenSolo, it now connects and downloads parameters automatically ;<)

Thanks for your expertise and awesome and ever improving app!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig