So how may out there actually fly these birds professionally

Reaction score
Website
vsasolutions.com
I would be interested in connecting with any of you that fly professionally. I have a little creative firm and wanting to expand what I do. Love networking learning and sharing. I am a newbie but would love to pick anyone’s brain

Reactions: DJMc
I have been working as a DP for 30+ years and Solo is part of my kit. I bought one of the very first, expensive ones. I use it on almost every project, whether commercial, corporate, documentary or real estate. An amazing tool.
Michael Bowie
San Antonio

Reactions: DJMc
Hey Michael, great to hear. Just passed my 107 test last week. Spending as much time doing flying drills as I can. My goal is to use the preprogrammed shots as little as possible, even though cable cam is pretty slick.

In your opinion what are the best areas to focus commercially? I am a catastrophe adjuster by day so can’t do anything for insurance carriers.

Reactions: Sparty577
Real estate is the biggest market...but there is so much competition that it does not pay much. Average of $200 per house, and they will expect stills of the interior. I prefer large ranches...budgets seem larger. My 107 has expired and I have not renewed...nobody seems to care. I mostly use my Solo as added value on commercials. Shooting at a theme park tomorrow.

Reactions: Dash Hewes
Real estate is the biggest market...but there is so much competition that it does not pay much. Average of $200 per house, and they will expect stills of the interior. I prefer large ranches...budgets seem larger. My 107 has expired and I have not renewed...nobody seems to care. I mostly use my Solo as added value on commercials. Shooting at a theme park tomorrow.
I expect your insurer will care a lot if ever there is an incident. As will the FAA. And local law enforcement [unfortunately]. You already had the 107, the knowledge required has changed very little.

Not telling anyone how to live, but I do think that operating illegally in an environment that is growing more and more rules-prone is courting trouble. But we're all adults here, make your own decisions.

I use IDRA as they cover worldwide. When I first went looking they were the ONLY organization with international coverage.

Definitely affordable for liability. So far SkyWatch seems to be the best when you throw on equipment coverage. I didn't see equipment coverage with IDRA. Now granted that may not be as big of a benefit for the solo but I am anticipating having a zero zero robotics v-coptr and a Mavic 2 pro with hassleblad camera in my future. One other note...after the GPS upgrade I can't believe how fast it acquires a lock.

I saw this thread the other day, meant to reply, but so busy out here in Aust with the fires etc.

I use a couple of Solos for aerial photography, still imagery, not videos. I have Nikon J5 mirrorless cameras (1 inch sensor, niceglass 10mm lens, RAW files etc) on the solo platform that I have developed over the past couple of years with a lot of advice from members here. There are a few threads about it:

Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter - I dont use the servo shutter anymore,

A few images here - 3DR + NO-GoPro image thread

I hold a Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) Remote Pilot licence ( RPL) n Australia and operate in the sub 2kg categoery (just)

3dr_solo_new_mount_1.jpg

Reactions: Staplehawk
Hey Michael, great to hear. Just passed my 107 test last week. Spending as much time doing flying drills as I can. My goal is to use the preprogrammed shots as little as possible, even though cable cam is pretty slick.

In your opinion what are the best areas to focus commercially? I am a catastrophe adjuster by day so can’t do anything for insurance carriers.
I'm rather new to the forum, but am curious why you are unable to do anything for insurance carriers? I mean if you have your drone license and are a CAT adjuster- it seems it would be a great tool that you could use on your losses (roof claims especially). Please explain, as this is something I've considered getting into. Thank you!

I've been flying professionally on the side for a few years now. I actually did my 107 test on the first day the system opened. Most of what I do is real estate, mainly houses and farmground. My wife owns a photography business so sometimes I do some stuff for her as well, and I have a few other friends in video production that use me for their aerial work. I don't do a ton of work, but with other commitments I haven't pushed or advertised much. I also operate a small farm so I use my drones for scouting fields, standing water, etc. I've done a small bit of work for some government agencies as well, storm damage and tourism.

I have a Solo with mro GPS and running OpenSolo, an Autel Evo (which I've used the most lately), a Phantom 3 Pro, and a Yuneec Typhoon G( which I need to sell).

On the insurance topic, I use Country Companies and they were able to add a photography/videography deal to my home insurance (now on farm insurance) for far less than I could find elsewhere. My main issue was liability, I had a project that wanted $1 mil coverage and it was by far the cheapest option for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela