smart shot altitude variance

Reaction score
Today I was working with cable cam. I had solo about 8 ft off the ground for point A, and took it up to 187 ft for point B. I did a couple tests with it running autonomously, the seemed to be fine, a little off course but as to be expected in light wind and GPS Acuracy and what not.

Once I felt comfortable that it was doing what I wanted, I went for another run, this time solo came in way too low and ended up catching the front feet and flipping. Now should I have caught this before it happened, probably. I wasn't expecting the extra surge and it caught me off guard. Curious what others have seen in their smart shot variance on altitude etc. FYI 13 sats with 1.5 hdop.

I've noticed that the closer Solo is to the ground, the worse the altitude accuracy. As much as +- 4 ft.

If I have Solo below 10 ft., (rarely) I am very close by and am ready to hit "fly:manual" on a moments notice.

Now you know. Ive noticed that too and always make sure I have adequate clearance all along the path. I came close to hitting a light pole once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I was working with cable cam. I had solo about 8 ft off the ground for point A, and took it up to 187 ft for point B. I did a couple tests with it running autonomously, the seemed to be fine, a little off course but as to be expected in light wind and GPS Acuracy and what not.

Once I felt comfortable that it was doing what I wanted, I went for another run, this time solo came in way too low and ended up catching the front feet and flipping. Now should I have caught this before it happened, probably. I wasn't expecting the extra surge and it caught me off guard. Curious what others have seen in their smart shot variance on altitude etc. FYI 13 sats with 1.5 hdop.
FYI..GPS is not used for altitude. And that is a good thing, since GPS accuracy will vary from 80-200' or more. Typical GPS altitude accuracy is 8-10 times horizontal.

FYI..GPS is not used for altitude. And that is a good thing, since GPS accuracy will vary from 80-200' or more. Typical GPS altitude accuracy is 8-10 times horizontal.
Yes I was under the impression that altitude is covered by barometric pressure. Is that correct?

Yes I was under the impression that altitude is covered by barometric pressure. Is that correct?
Yes, Barometer is used for altitude and is based on 0 being the point of takeoff.

Its definitely several feet off on repetitive cable cams and selfies.
perhaps holding at the location a bit longer before pressing the A or B button would allow the system to stabilize and be more accurate.

I keep seeing advertisements for GNSS INS saying centimeter accuracy though, so what would it take to do something that accurate...?

Well, it was hovering in the same location for a good minute as I was thinking about the shot I wanted to set up. Plus like I said it seemed to be just fine the first 3 runs. Although I do believe the 2nd run it was coming in a little lower but was still around 5-6 ft off the ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig