Smart phone direct connection to Solo

Reaction score
Hello guys,

For my master thesis and interest, I am planning to place smart phone on the Solo. Basically, I want to connect this phone directly to Solo not through the Solo controller. The phone will get the commands from GCS over the GSM and forward these commands to Solo drone. In this configuration, what would be the best way to connect smart phone to Solo directly?

I have seen Accessory bay as shown in this link:

solodevguide/hardware-accessorybay.md at master · 3drobotics/solodevguide · GitHub

I have found this circuit on the following site: also the connectors are available in here:

OSH Park ~ 3DR Solo Accessory Breakout X1
http://www.mouser.ee/ProductDetail/...qgba8kBa6TtehVWNIeLFx3lhQ48lSxiSCqywLxSV2eg==

However, I would like to ask you, do you think this connection would work? Or do you suggest another way to do this connection? I am looking for a cable connection, not wireless because wireless connections will increase attack surface in terms of security. Once we decide on this connection, I am planning to publish this project in very detailed form in here and in some other forums.

Thanks in advance.

Why not just connect directly to the USB port on the Pixhawk2?

Why not just connect directly to the USB port on the Pixhawk2?
Yeah, I have seen that usb. So, can I use it for telemetry purpose? I would be glad if you can provide me any link for similar project that I can get reference.

If you connect Mobile via WiFi to Solo, then controller will not be able to communicate with Solo, meaning that WiFi from phone to Solo will be overwhelming & your controller will be useless.
Attaching any other communication device may interrupt other sensors on Solo? GPS, Altitude so on...
Just a few things to check out before jumping in,

If you connect Mobile via WiFi to Solo, then controller will not be able to communicate with Solo, meaning that WiFi from phone to Solo will be overwhelming & your controller will be useless.
Attaching any other communication device may interrupt other sensors on Solo? GPS, Altitude so on...
Just a few things to check out before jumping in,

Can I directly connect my mobile using wifi to solo? I was thinking Solo is using another protocol to communicate with the controller using 915Mhz radio link. I didn't know that I can connect the mobile to solo. Can you please explain how to do this? In this case, controller might be usesless but I don't really care the controller. I am not planning to use it. I will write my own GCS application to communicate with phone.

Can I directly connect my mobile using wifi to solo? I was thinking Solo is using another protocol to communicate with the controller using 915Mhz radio link. I didn't know that I can connect the mobile to solo. Can you please explain how to do this? In this case, controller might be usesless but I don't really care the controller. I am not planning to use it. I will write my own GCS application to communicate with phone.
You may be right with the 915Mhz? or the USB may be the way to go?
Your best response may be from Solo Mod Club, in which i saw your post requesting the same info.
Sorry i cant help anymore, but i wish you luck with your project.

You may be right with the 915Mhz? or the USB may be the way to go?
Your best response may be from Solo Mod Club, in which i saw your post requesting the same info.
Sorry i cant help anymore, but i wish you luck with your project.

Yes, I will try the USB port on the Pixhawk 2. From Solo Mod Club, people point the accessory bay port. It seems like if USB doesn't work, I will give accessory bay port a try and share my findings here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela