sinkholes?

Reaction score
Hi all i only just bought a solo and am fairly new to drones in general, but down near where i live there is a big sinkhole in Braidwood NSW Australia, and i have a vision to fly a drone into it at some stage, it is fairly thick bush so im not sure what kind of gps i would get, plus the sinkhole is obviously below the level i will launch it from. Does anyone have similar experience and how could i get this done? im nowhere near good enough at this stage, i guess maybe i will try it when my solo is bruised and battered and im due for an upgrade.

Hi all i only just bought a solo and am fairly new to drones in general, but down near where i live there is a big sinkhole in Braidwood NSW Australia, and i have a vision to fly a drone into it at some stage, it is fairly thick bush so im not sure what kind of gps i would get, plus the sinkhole is obviously below the level i will launch it from. Does anyone have similar experience and how could i get this done? im nowhere near good enough at this stage, i guess maybe i will try it when my solo is bruised and battered and im due for an upgrade.
The first thing to do would be to practice in manual mode until you are comfortable with it in all orientations. While this should be 1st for any new pilot, you also need to remember that should Solo loose GPS it will go to manual mode. And flying below your takeoff point is no problem. Solo still remembers where and how high HP is and will RTH if needed.

Reactions: Scientific11
The first thing to do would be to practice in manual mode until you are comfortable with it in all orientations. While this should be 1st for any new pilot, you also need to remember that should Solo loose GPS it will go to manual mode. And flying below your takeoff point is no problem. Solo still remembers where and how high HP is and will RTH if needed.
So for example my tablet is unsuitable for the solo, so essentially i have been flying not using the tablet, is this the same as manual? and would i even be able to take off if could not lock on? as i had trouble locking on today and could not fly, or is that the option in advanced settings? i know i am a far way off doing what i want but would just like to get on the right path of learning.

So for example my tablet is unsuitable for the solo, so essentially i have been flying not using the tablet, is this the same as manual? and would i even be able to take off if could not lock on? as i had trouble locking on today and could not fly, or is that the option in advanced settings? i know i am a far way off doing what i want but would just like to get on the right path of learning.
You need to configure the A/B buttons so that 1 of them is 'Manual' mode. But to do that you would need to connect a tablet or phone. Perhaps you could borrow one long enough to do that? From then on, no problem flying without a tablet or phone connected. I often do that just to fly around. Once you are comfortable with manual, you can take off without a lock as needed.

Reactions: Petemac83
Adding to that, I wouldn't descend into the hole without first going to manual. Don't descend in to the hole and expect to smoothly switch to manual automatically once the GPS is lost. When the GPS starts to get flakey, it could drift quite a bit before dumping the GPS and switching to manual. This could cause a crash if it drifs into the wall of the hole. Descend into the hole already in manual so it never does anything shady and you're in complete control at all times.

Also, you would need to be standing at the rim of this hole with the solo is sight. The WiFi signal is going to be lost shortly after it drops below the horizon if you aren't standing at the edge keeping it in visual range. If the GPS is lost, it cannot return home automatically. It will just land on whatever happens to be under it, commonly known as a crash.

Adding to that, I wouldn't descend into the hole without first going to manual. Don't descend in to the hole and expect to smoothly switch to manual automatically once the GPS is lost. When the GPS starts to get flakey, it could drift quite a bit before dumping the GPS and switching to manual. This could cause a crash if it drifs into the wall of the hole. Descend into the hole already in manual so it never does anything shady and you're in complete control at all times.

Also, you would need to be standing at the rim of this hole with the solo is sight. The WiFi signal is going to be lost shortly after it drops below the horizon if you aren't standing at the edge keeping it in visual range. If the GPS is lost, it cannot return home automatically. It will just land on whatever happens to be under it, commonly known as a crash.
Yeah im a fair way off it at the moment but it would make for the coolest footage, there are plants down there for prehistoric times it would be very interesting.

How big is the hole? Link to a map or pictures? Sounds pretty cool.
Im not sure how big it is, it is not super spectacular or anything, it is just in my local area, so would be easy to go do a day trip there and i think could make some good footage, and good practice for some bigger stuff, here is a link for google maps. Google Maps the picture i added is just one i took but only had a 24mm lens at the time which wasn't wide enough, if you google image big hole Braidwood you can see some better pictures of it.

Attachments

• Big hole.jpg
    Big hole.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 24
Oh, when I suggested the position lights I was thinking as an aid to navigation. The front white one might also help you light what you're videoing, I don't know how much light they throw.

Also, I've found that painting Solo orange helps A LOT up in the Pacific Northwest, I was loosing it in the trees constantly. If you're going to send it down a dark hole it would be a good idea to paint it orange.

Approx 28 meters only I think
Panoramio - Photo explorer

-35.727869° by 149.659641° is mid center of the hole.

The Big Hole, Deua National Park (New South Wales, Australia): Top Tips Before You Go - TripAdvisor

GPS signal will be lost for sure within -2 meters penetration.
If the coordinate is correct, it is legal to fly drone in such national park in Oz ?

Rocks will kill wifi controller signal too. Becareful.
Antenas orientation must be straight to controller body and not flip up 90 degrees like usual flying... I think.
If I were you I will stand to the end of the viewing platform, but Solo is flying closer to the opposite wall side where u stand, for better line of sight.

Put your hand out ( with controller ) as far as you can into the sink hole.
If your eyes can see the Solo, so will your controller radio line of sight.

Good luck n safe flying.

SPP has some excellent advice.

This might be overkill, but I do most of my work in WiFi rich environments so I went out and did this:

It's a good thing I'm already married...

Since I started using these antennas I haven't lost my WiFi connection.

It may be overkill, but this configuration cost me about $100 US, would you rather spend a little more or risk your Solo ending up on the bottom? If you went with this you'd have a lot more freedom over where the antennas go.

Reactions: Jubalr
Wow Ed !! That is so military...nice.
Is the long antena wire and its signal lost , but extra gain of the antena do much better ?

Is the long antenna wire and its signal lost , but extra gain of the antenna do much better ?
As far as I can tell, yes.

The wire from the controller to the antennas could be much shorter. They're about 6' but could easily be 3'. The one advantage of keeping them a little longer is that I can put the backpack down and wander a little from it, though not much.

This is all sounding scarier by the minute, maybe i will just up on top of the hill where there is no trees and just get some birds eye view footage from above the trees.

Looking at that hole, I would suggest not doing anything more than maybe a few meters down. Beyond that would be suicide IMO. It will be difficult for you to see the solo and maintain control. And if it's a little dark, the GoPo is useless anyway. You'd need to be hanging your arms with the controller over the hole to maintain a connection. And the downwash from the props will be creating wind in there that will push the solo around and into the walls.

I hate to be a downer, because it would be really cool. But it's not something I would risk that much expensive gear on.

Oh, when I suggested the position lights I was thinking as an aid to navigation. The front white one might also help you light what you're videoing, I don't know how much light they throw.

Also, I've found that painting Solo orange helps A LOT up in the Pacific Northwest, I was loosing it in the trees constantly. If you're going to send it down a dark hole it would be a good idea to paint it orange.
Like this?
View media item 339View media item 337

Reactions: Ed Beck
This is all sounding scarier by the minute, maybe i will just up on top of the hill where there is no trees and just get some birds eye view footage from above the trees.
No no no. Do it, just make sure you have your video feed saving to your phone so we can all see what happens.

Seriously though, it's a non-trivial endeavor. If you approach it like a test pilot, a little at a time, pushing the envelope a little each time it sounds do-able. Before doing it I'd get used to flying manually close to buildings, you're going to get some squirly winds.

Just assume that you'll lose GPS within a couple meters of the descent. For that reason you need to enter under manual flight, as has been suggested. Under those conditions you won't have return to home, so at the first hint that your WiFi is getting weak pull out.

I bet you could do it, but I think you need to boost your WiFi connection with either a new antenna, an amplifier or both. Also be cognizant of what leg your antenna is in. I'm not sure how much interference the Solo body would add, it's a variable I'd consider.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny