SidePilot iOS GCS for Solo, PX4 and APM

I’m a fairly new Solo pilot, having owned my drone for about 7 months. I purchased a copy of SidePilot because I am anticipating upgrading to OpenSolo. I flew my Solo this weekend using the stock IOS application from 3DR, it worked perfectly as it always does. I decided to try SidePilot, to get my feet wet with the new application.

I followed what I thought was the proper sequence, established communication with the Solo, completed the pre-flight checklist, “Armed” Solo and the motors spun up. It seemed as if Solo at this point was in “manual” mode, meaning I could adjust the speed of the motors using the left stick. I then changed the mode to “take off” and pushed the “take off button”... the motors immediately shut down.

Did this 4 or 5 Times, same result each time. I have missed something but I’m not sure what...

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Hi!

When you pressed takeoff, did you enter your desired altitude in the popup then tap the 'Enter' button? Did the Solo have sufficient GPS lock? Also you must do this 'quickly' as after a few seconds if Solo notices nothing happening it will disarm itself.

Cheers

Hi Tommyb,

Yes to all three questions. Desired altitude was set to 10 feet, GPS lock on 15 says, and I think I was able to cycle through the various prompts pretty quickly. As soon as I clicked “Take Off”, the motors just turned off...

Last edited:
I'm trying to update the drone and the controller through side pilot but this message appears

Attachments

• FD734235-4722-4833-A680-FB28582D1FD2.png
    FD734235-4722-4833-A680-FB28582D1FD2.png
    425.9 KB · Views: 53
Hi Tommyb,

Yes to all three questions. Desired altitude was set to 10 feet, GPS lock on 15 says, and I think I was able to cycle through the various prompts pretty quickly. As soon as I clicked “Take Off”, the motors just turned off...

Interesting, I will look into it. I know others have been successful so not sure why you are not. Give me a little bit to play around with it.

I'm trying to update the drone and the controller through side pilot but this message appears

That means that the app was unable to communicate with Solo. Is Solo and the controller turned on and connected to your device?

Interesting, I will look into it. I know others have been successful so not sure why you are not. Give me a little bit to play around with it.

That means that the app was unable to communicate with Solo. Is Solo and the controller turned on and connected to your device?
Yes Tommyb10, that I flew it before trying to do the update.

I wanted to try SidePilot but don't get live feed unless I turn off Cell connection. Slightly better then official 3DR app, since that won't even connect unless I turn off Cell on iOS 11.2.1

I wanted to try SidePilot but don't get live feed unless I turn off Cell connection. Slightly better then official 3DR app, since that won't even connect unless I turn off Cell on iOS 11.2.1

Hi Peen,

I believe this is an issue with your iPhone and maybe some settings? I have heard of people experiencing the same issue with the stock app, but never with SidePilot. If you search these forums you might be able to find a solution

Tommy,

I was searching and that's how I found out to turn off cellular data to get it to work, although this is a fix for the stock 3DR app, it seems this allows me to get a live feed in SidePilot. I tried this on a 7 Plus and an iPhone SE. If I turn off Cell, I get live feed, I can go back and turn on cell and the live feed works. But if I start SidePilot with Cellular data on, it won't work.

just installed sidepilot yesterday and looking forward to testing it out. i read over the manual. any other advice before using? Im not a pro but i am also not a novice. my biggest problem with the 3dr sw was that the video stopped streaming once i updated ios to 11.2 so hope no issues here.

Tommy,

I was searching and that's how I found out to turn off cellular data to get it to work, although this is a fix for the stock 3DR app, it seems this allows me to get a live feed in SidePilot. I tried this on a 7 Plus and an iPhone SE. If I turn off Cell, I get live feed, I can go back and turn on cell and the live feed works. But if I start SidePilot with Cellular data on, it won't work.

Same here, just loaded SidePilot today. Has anyone figured out the "no internet connection" issues with ios 11 with cell data on?

Hi guys!

SidePilot version 1.20 has just been released with some great new features, including Solo video!
  • Solo video support - Including GoPro shutter/mode control!
  • Follow Me - Follows your iOS Device
  • Pre-Flight checklist current weather (wind & temp) - Gives you the most current weather information for your location including which direction the wind is going
  • Grid Waypoints - You can now plot a survey grid with shutter control!

You can get it in the App Store now!

If you have any questions please ask here or on the forums over at sidepilot.net

Thanks!
Tom
Hi Tom,

George here, I just uploaded the newest update of Sidepilot, I have never used Sidepilot and and trying to figure it all out. I am a geologist and scan rock highwalls for quarrys and rock slopes along highways, and create point clouds to use in engineering software. I think your cable cam may work for me, since I need the drone to fly at a yaw so the camera is always facing the correct direction.
Question, I have a red line from the drone position everytime I try to start a grid, or a way point, or anything. I am afraid this might be some flightpath to somewhere. I tried to trace it and it went for miles and miles, heading towards south east of Virginia, USA. What is this, and how do I get rid of it??
Thanks
George

Hi Tom,

George here, I just uploaded the newest update of Sidepilot, I have never used Sidepilot and and trying to figure it all out. I am a geologist and scan rock highwalls for quarrys and rock slopes along highways, and create point clouds to use in engineering software. I think your cable cam may work for me, since I need the drone to fly at a yaw so the camera is always facing the correct direction.
Question, I have a red line from the drone position everytime I try to start a grid, or a way point, or anything. I am afraid this might be some flightpath to somewhere. I tried to trace it and it went for miles and miles, heading towards south east of Virginia, USA. What is this, and how do I get rid of it??
Thanks
George

Hi George, the red line is simply displaying your current heading.
Cheers!

Tommyb10,

This is an unlikely request but:
Have you investigated the possibility of using the Win10 iOS Bridge to see if SidePilot could be ported to Win10 UWP for usage on Win10 devices other than standard desktop/laptop (mobile, ARM, etc)?

hi Tommyb
I really want to try the function of SidePilot,But in China, for reasons beyond description, my solo drone's GPS location does not match the actual location, but my IPHONE's GPS location is correct, and I hope SidePilot can solve this problem.

Which satellite constellation(s) are your gps unit set up to detect? I assume it would be Baidu and at least one other.

This setting would be setup within the gps chip itself. U-center software is needed to do that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc