Should I update anything??

Reaction score
Ok, here is where I am at. With all the recent FW issues, and going backwards, what is safe? I am currently set up like this:

Android App 2.3.0
Solo 2.3.0-1
Autopilot 1.2.23
Gimbal 1.3.6
Controller 2.3.0-1
Controller Firmware 1.2.8
3DR services 1.5.3

I am running Android only so I do not want to update to 2.4 until the Android app is available. BUT I have the cable cam issue where button B does not do anything :( Should I just wait, or try one of the Beta releases.

Solex is looking good, but I'll wait a few weeks until after my warranty is over.

yes
open android 2.3
go to updates, there should be a firmware update there.
2.4.1-6
it will restore stability

Yes, I saw Solo FW 2.4.1-6 was available, but aren't people having issues with it?

not the firmware, and trust me you want to do this
the recent spat of strange crashes and drifting are addressed with this firmware.
its basically a move back to the stable version.
This not a beta release, if you are running IOS 2.4 or Android 2.3
it is a production release

This firmware release (2.4.1-6) fixes the issues people were having with stability, loss of control, and kamikaze flight through neighbor's windows. It should be considered a mandatory update.

OK,so what 2.4.? was causing this, cause I never remember hearing it on 2.3. I am still on 2.3

Well the biggest thing that makes this a critical update is a timing bug that was found in the solo fork of Arducopter on the pixhawk flight controller. So the flight controller portion of the FW update was actually rolled back to a prior working version. That removed the bug.

Several other changes and update are included that enhance or fix things in GPS, smart shots, startup, calibrations, etc. So it does a number of good things.

So my understanding:

FW: 2.4 is buggy, 2.4.1-6 isnt
Android latest app still 2.3
but rewind/zipline features are all there but you just cant change its settings?

My FW 2.4 seems to be OK, except for magnetic interference when manually changing the GoPro settings on the camera on FW v4.0...but when I move Solo few feet away (without turning it off) it arms properly.

What's my best course of action? Just stick with this? Or has there been ZERO crashes related to FW2.4.1-6 and the magnetic interfer bug has been resolved? Can I still move Solo when I get mag interf? Because power cycling it didn't help.

Also I heard 3DR services is no longer required? Is that with this new Solo FW or only when App is 2.4? The pesky 3DR services still crashes.

I wish 3DR would just come forward and clarify everything.

What.a.mess

Reactions: jibcamera and SARDG
OK,so what 2.4.? was causing this, cause I never remember hearing it on 2.3. I am still on 2.3
seperate the app from the firmware
stay on 2.3 that is the app
the 2.3 app will update your firmware to 2.4.1-6 and flight controller to 1.3.1

This firmware release (2.4.1-6) fixes the issues people were having with stability, loss of control, and kamikaze flight through neighbor's windows. It should be considered a mandatory update.

Am I wrong in that 2.4.1-6 fixes the bug(s) introduced in firmware version 2.4.x?

As in if one is still on firmware 2.3.x, they don't have this bug and there's no urgency in updating? Like the OP, I still have 2.3.0-1 (solo) and it's been flying fine. I'm inclined to hold off on updating to 2.4.x until the dust settles, although if the timing bug exists in 2.3.x, I'd reconsider.

The timing bug was introduced with 2.4, and it is not present in 2.3. However, there are a lot of other things that 2.4.1-6 addresses besides that. I don't believe any are responsible for solos going rogue. But I see nothing but good by updating now. I waited on FW 2.3 until this point as well for the same reason.

I'm timing my install of 2.4x-06 with firmware version 2.3.0-1 on the autumnal equinox due to rolling back IOS FW 2.4.1-6 and its associated fix of controller firmware 1.3.1 which induces a zipline rewind of 12-15 feet except while using 3DR services(on Android), then you cannot adjust the setting in the menu unless running an ios virtual system. But if you update your gopro to v4.03 FW, you will regain rectilinear support and full functionality except for camera trigger and shutter speed support.. thanks

Last edited:
I'm timing my install of 2.4x-06 with firmware version 2.3.0-1 on the autumnal equinox due to rolling back IOS FW 2.4.1-6 and its associated fix of controller firmware 1.3.1 which induces a zipline rewind of 12-15 feet except while using 3DR services(on Android), then you cannot adjust the setting in the menu unless running an ios virtual system. But if you update your gopro to v4.03 FW, you will regain rectilinear support and full functionality except for camera trigger and shutter speed support.. thanks
LMAO :p

Reactions: jibcamera
i'm just going with the dont fix what aint broken mantra right now even with that annoying mag interf
i dont want my Solo going through my neighbor's window thank you very much...still too new to know if it's safe.

i'm just going with the dont fix what aint broken mantra right now even with that annoying mag interf
i dont want my Solo going through my neighbor's window thank you very much...still too new to know if it's safe.
If you're on 2.3, it is safe but there are things that are broken which 2.4.1-6 fixes.
If you're on 2.4, it is unsafe and still things that are broken, all of which 2.4.1-6 fixes.

So the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing doesn't really work here.

Reactions: Solo Keith
no more pesky mag interf in 1-6?
I still need 3DR services on android? it's still crashing?

3DR Services is required until android application 2.4 is released. It is in Beta right now, and the beta indeed does not require 3DR services anymore. Also, the new Solex App doesn't require 3DR Services either. The current production version of the 3DR Android Solo app is 2.3, which does still require 3DR services. That matter is unrelated to the firmware on the solo.

The issue people were having with it being very difficult to arm due to calibration and magnetic stuff, and the timing issue causing flyaways began with firmware 2.4. These issues were resolved in firmware 2.4.1-6, the newest one released last weekend. So far, nobody with it has reported any problems, and in fact report noticeable improvements on many fronts. The update should be considered mandatory due to the safety issues.

Reactions: twitchyzero

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150