Serial Console?

hur

Reaction score
I searched, but could not get the answer, this may have been asked and answered. So I apologize in advance.

Has anyone figured out a way to attach a serial console to solo and controller?

Currently we need a working system to ssh.

I searched, but could not get the answer, this may have been asked and answered. So I apologize in advance.

Has anyone figured out a way to attach a serial console to solo and controller?

Currently we need a working system to ssh.
Use the USB connection.

There is a micro USP port on the actual pixhawk cube itself. The pixhawk is on the underside of Solo's main board.
I appreciate the help, you mean I can see imx6 boot via pixhawk?

How do we access the controller?

I have connected to the serial port on the iMx6 board, you will have to solder wires to the pins labelled "debug", that will not be all though.
Normally (is there any such thing?) when doing kernel work it is a good idea to have serial
console access, while this is possible with the Solo CPU, it is not convenient. There is a
console port which is labelled DEBUG on the CPU board. It is disabled in u-boot, and it shares
pins with the ADV7610 HDMI decoder. This can be disabled in the solo.dts file and a new solo.dtb
created then the serial can be enabled in the kernel. That is what I did.
Lots of work for only a bit of gain. Only necessary if you have a kernel that won't boot,
and don't mind digging into the Solo and soldering wires to it.
Or cutting a hole in the side of the Solo and chipping away the glue that secures the SD.
I bought a crashed Solo for just this purpose and it was well worth it.

If you really need serial access it is invaluable, if you don't, it is a royal PITA.

BTW, the stock u-boot can't be interrupted, you have to recompile u-boot with a few changes to the source and default configuration, but as u-boot works ok with the stock kernel, it's not really necessary unless you want to get kernel 3.14.x working as you need a newer version of u-boot for that.

Reactions: hur
If you want to SSH into the IMX, just connect with putty over the WiFi. IP 10.1.1.10 for the copter or 10.1.1.1 for the controller. user root, password TjSDBkAu.

I appreciate the help, you mean I can see imx6 boot via pixhawk?

How do we access the controller?
I'm sorry, I was just expanding on what carpy said about the USB port, I don't know to view the imx6 boot but I'm pretty sure that it isn't through the pixhawk.
There are a lot of smart people on here. Maybe if you were to expand on what you are trying to accomplish, someone may have already done it and could go step-by-step with you.

I have connected to the serial port on the iMx6 board, you will have to solder wires to the pins labelled "debug", that will not be all though.
Normally (is there any such thing?) when doing kernel work it is a good idea to have serial
console access, while this is possible with the Solo CPU, it is not convenient. There is a
console port which is labelled DEBUG on the CPU board. It is disabled in u-boot, and it shares
pins with the ADV7610 HDMI decoder. This can be disabled in the solo.dts file and a new solo.dtb
created then the serial can be enabled in the kernel. That is what I did.
Lots of work for only a bit of gain. Only necessary if you have a kernel that won't boot,
and don't mind digging into the Solo and soldering wires to it.
Or cutting a hole in the side of the Solo and chipping away the glue that secures the SD.
I bought a crashed Solo for just this purpose and it was well worth it.

If you really need serial access it is invaluable, if you don't, it is a royal PITA.

BTW, the stock u-boot can't be interrupted, you have to recompile u-boot with a few changes to the source and default configuration, but as u-boot works ok with the stock kernel, it's not really necessary unless you want to get kernel 3.14.x working as you need a newer version of u-boot for that.
Thank you that's the answer I was looking for.

If you want to SSH into the IMX, just connect with putty over the WiFi. IP 10.1.1.10 for the copter or 10.1.1.1 for the controller. user root, password TjSDBkAu.
I am aware of ssh route, just looking to see if I can also go serial route.

The page you point to says that pins 9 and 24 point to the PixHawk2

Pin 9 SER5 TX (DEBUG) -->UART5 TX output from Pixhawk™ 2.
Pin 24 SER5 RX (DEBUG) --> UART5 RX input to Pixhawk™ 2.

The page you point to says that pins 9 and 24 point to the PixHawk2

Right, pin 1 and 2 are usb ports to imx6 I am not sure what those are for? Possibly standard USB

The USB port on the accessory board is OTG capable so you can connect peripherals to it and it will power them (as long as the ID pin is set for host mode) or you can plug the Solo into a PC and have access to the file system as if it were a thumb drive.

Reactions: carpy

That is serial 5 on the pixhawk, no connection to the IMX. Until recently, serial 5 in ArduCopter on the pixhawk was only used for console output. However it was recently changed in master and 3.5.4 to allow Serial 5 to be used as a normal serial port just like 1-4. This is not what you'd want to hook up to for the IMX.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela