Saving/loading waypoints in Tower?

Reaction score
It would be really useful to export/import waypoints -- and even better to convert cable cam start and stop locations into waypoints.

Is either possible?

Last edited:
You can import way points in tower app. You can simulate cable cam by flying waypoints from one point back to the other, and orbit an object.

Thanks Gary.

In my case, I'd like to photograph a wall from top to bottom in overlapping rows. If I can edit waypoints externally, then I can quickly set up repeating camera paths from just two or three base points. For instance, if I can fly to the upper left and upper right corners of a wall (at ~10m elevation, let's say), then it's easy to leverage use those two valid GPS points in order to automatically create a mission plan where the drone moves back and forth from the top of the wall all the way to the bottom, since only the elevation changes each row (decreasing each row until 0).

There's nothing stopping me from manually setting dozens of waypoints in Tower, of course, but it's a little tricky because Tower shows a plan view of the map, so that the waypoints for a wall will overlap. I don't think there's a way to shift orthographic views in Tower from plan to elevation.

Unless we can also export waypoints, the question then becomes: how do we prepare these external waypoints so that they correctly relate to the maps in Tower? My fear is that the imported waypoints won't relate to Tower's implict coordinate system and the drone will consequently fly into walls, or worse.

It's great to hear that we can import waypoints, even so. Does anyone have an example of doing this? If so, how and by what were your waypoints generated before importing into Tower?

Thanks Gary.

In my case, I'd like to photograph a wall from top to bottom in overlapping rows. If I can edit waypoints externally, then I can quickly set up repeating camera paths from just two or three base points. For instance, if I can fly to the upper left and upper right corners of a wall (at ~10m elevation, let's say), then it's easy to leverage use those two valid GPS points in order to automatically create a mission plan where the drone moves back and forth from the top of the wall all the way to the bottom, since only the elevation changes each row (decreasing each row until 0).

There's nothing stopping me from manually setting dozens of waypoints in Tower, of course, but it's a little tricky because Tower shows a plan view of the map, so that the waypoints for a wall will overlap. I don't think there's a way to shift orthographic views in Tower from plan to elevation.

Unless we can also export waypoints, the question then becomes: how do we prepare these external waypoints so that they correctly relate to the maps in Tower? My fear is that the imported waypoints won't relate to Tower's implict coordinate system and the drone will consequently fly into walls, or worse.

It's great to hear that we can import waypoints, even so. Does anyone have an example of doing this? If so, how and by what were your waypoints generated before importing into Tower?
Hey Kevin,

You may be able to use 'Structure Scan' in Tower for this if it is possible to get around the ends of the wall. You can specify how many steps (orbits) to make and how many feet to drop between steps. You would have to be able to orbit the wall, but would certainly be the easiest way to program. Outside of that, it would be a pretty complex mission.

Good insight Jubair, what I'm trying to adapt would be a kind of 'linear structure scan' mode. In my case it's not possible to get behind most of the walls (solid stone).

I was hoping to use structure scan to photograph columns, however. My sense is that structure scan always flies a circular (cylindrical) path -- is that right? If there's a way to apply structure scan to fly both sides of a linear wall, that would be a wonderful thing. Here's one of the long walls that could work for -- the pylon is about 5m thick:

023680.jpg

Back to the idea of importing waypoints in Tower -- has anyone used this in practice?

Message to Gary Burch, or anyone else with same knowledge.
In post dated Nov 18, 2015; you mentioned that 'You can import way points in tower app.'. I am very curious to know how. If this is possible, it would make my mountain flying a lot easier.
My main aim is export 3DR Solo waypoints into Tower app.
Jonty

Go to tower app. Go to area to draw waypoints on pattern to fly. Press on three lines in right corner of app. It will ask you to import waypoints from file. There you have it.

I understand how to import saved Tower files (whilst in Tower);
However I'd like to know how (if possible) to import 3DR Solo App cable Cam files into Tower.

You can retrieve them with SOLEX on android
that is so you can share them with other users, not sure if those are imported into tower
Might try this load your cable in solo app, then connect with tower and download way points. It might work

It seems as if it does not work.
I opened Tower first (Tower v 4.0 does not like the company of 3DR Solo App).
I then opened 3DR Solo App, and loaded a Cable Cam on android with Solo vehicle connected.
I then went back into Tower and in Edit mode, pressed the import file option.
Only Tower files appeared.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44