Recent Crashed Solo Report!

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ATx just crashed his solo and 3DR are working with him to fix the problem...

From what I can tell, an important lesson for all of us future Solo flyers; in the event of an app crash, hit Pause. Then fly it back home and do not restart the app until on the ground with Solo off. Rebooting the app after a crash while flying could create all kinds of problems while the app is rebooting and establishing control with the Solo.
At least for me, that will be my procedure as I have been flying multis for about 3 years now. Having owned and flown controllers from 5 different manuf, my favorite is the Pixhawk and I am looking forward to the Pixhawk 2.

Reactions: Jimmy
He needs to learn how to edit videos so they are not so long. I bailed 1/2 way through as that is too much for me.

However, I would be surprised in most failure situations of pause will work.

I believe that the way Solo is designed, the Pause button will work in any situation as long as the controller is in range and regardless of any app running or not. If you looked at the log, there was a follow me and a fly command sent after or while he re-booted the app. Which is why I recommended not re-starting the app while Solo is in the air.

Yea hopefully it will work. Just have to think if the Solo is freaked out its not going to listen. Kinda like talking to my wife when she is mad :)

Reactions: MGOSAN
Agree.. But I don't believe that the Solo (Pixhawk 2) was freaked out, it was receiving erroneous commands from the rebooting app. Unfortunately, as the operator stated, he forgot about the pause button.

He needs to learn how to edit videos so they are not so long. I bailed 1/2 way through as that is too much for me.

However, I would be surprised in most failure situations of pause will work.

Thumbs up on ATx learning how to edit. This video could easily be condensed into 3 1/2 minutes. On a previous video posting, it takes him over a half hour just to unbox the Solo.
Some advise for everyone else. Your first couple of flights should be in a big open field. Take it slow at first. Practice using the Pause button. It might be a good idea to label the button with colored tape or a PTouch arrow label so you can find it fast in an emergency. Practice the different flight modes in the open field without obstructions. Get comfortable with the controller and it will become second nature.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Agree.. But I don't believe that the Solo (Pixhawk 2) was freaked out, it was receiving erroneous commands from the rebooting app. Unfortunately, as the operator stated, he forgot about the pause button.

If that's the case then 3DR needs to have something in there like a cycle timer so it knows if the app has been rebooted and aborts any mission. Be interested to see what 3DR finds out !

From what I can tell, an important lesson for all of us future Solo flyers; in the event of an app crash, hit Pause. Then fly it back home and do not restart the app until on the ground with Solo off. Rebooting the app after a crash while flying could create all kinds of problems while the app is rebooting and establishing control with the Solo.
At least for me, that will be my procedure as I have been flying multis for about 3 years now. Having owned and flown controllers from 5 different manuf, my favorite is the Pixhawk and I am looking forward to the Pixhawk 2.
I would love which 5 controllers/ multis you have experience with.

If that's the case then 3DR needs to have something in there like a cycle timer so it knows if the app has been rebooted and aborts any mission. Be interested to see what 3DR finds out !
That would be a good addition to the software. But can't you also slap the Solo into manual mode easily? Seems that wold be pretty important.

That would be a good addition to the software. But can't you also slap the Solo into manual mode easily? Seems that wold be pretty important.

Well I think the modes are all controlled by the app. So if he had the app crashing and was trying to bring it up then probably not.

Reactions: Apparition
Well I think the modes are all controlled by the app. So if he had the app crashing and was trying to bring it up then probably not.

I thought it was like the Iris+, anytime you move the sticks, you overide the mission planner and regain control?

I thought it was like the Iris+, anytime you move the sticks, you overide the mission planner and regain control?

This I don't know. I personally hope its not that easy to bump a stick and override things. Hope it requires a press and hold or something.

On my Phantom after I start a mission its dead to controller unless I flick S1

I believe you are only in control as long as you are manipulating the sticks, once you let go it returns to the set mode. At least when in Follow Me mode I can change distance, altitude, and yaw with the sticks, let go and it will continue to follow with the new altitude or distance. I have done the same on droid planner and changed height and yaw during a flight, once it hits the next waypoint, it will resume the pregrammed pattern, altitude, etc.

Edit: My sole experience with the Solo is...zilch. My knowledge is based on assumptions based on experience with my Iris+. So of course the possiblity that I have no idea what I'm talking about is quite real...lol.

Hey guys call your local Best Buy... They have the solo in stock!! I just got mine right now

If that's the case, it seems a bit of an oversight to me. Seems there should be a manual override switch. Maybe I'm just gun shy from my DJI Crash & flyaway experience.
SOMETIMES switching into ATTI mode can stop a drone from committing suicide.

Last edited:
If that's the case, it seems a bit of an oversight to me. Seems there should be a manual override switch. Maybe I'm just gun shy from my DJI Crash & flyaway experience. There SOMETIMES switching into ATTI mode can stop a drone form committing suicide.

I agree 100%.

Here's mine just fresh from BB.

I pre-order at dronefly and cancelled them as soon I purchase mine at Bestbuy with free battery

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 15
:D:D
Not sure I like that. Can't do anything without the app? No S1 flip to manual mode. Dang, could have gone the BB instead of waiting for a preorder that will probably be shipped in July.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44