Posted last week about flying a sporting event near where I live

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
The day of I was freaked out at the police and Port Authority presence on premises.

I wanted to fly but did not want to lose my drone doing it.

My cousin also got into the game and he approached the police right away and just laid it out for them.

Their reaction was that they had no problem with it. They looked over our equipment to see what it was but beyond that they didnt give us any restrictions other than not flying in the same location at the same time.

He had more batteries than I had so he was at the better part of the course and I took the other end.

The experience was amazing on its own. We had press passes for access to certain areas. So we were with all the photographers and they couldnt stop coming over to look behind our backs as we filmed the entire thing from the air.

I could tell the photogs could see the new horizon from what they were seeing with our footage.

The police didnt roust us one bit. They let us do our thing.

Will absolutely be looking to do this again for another event. Will get some more batteries for the next one.

Reactions: Maddog
Will absolutely be looking to do this again for another event. Will get some more batteries for the next one.

So, regs don't matter anyway? No need to complain then.

Speaking to the police before hand was definitely wise. Get their support, interest, and understanding before hand. No conflict later. However, It doesn't sound like what you did was legal, even if the local police didn't seem to care. You were flying over people, at a large sporting event, within NYC which I believe bans them, in a airspace that may actually restricted. And possibly in what could be considered a commercial operation, not for personal hobby use. I'm all for doing video for events, and I'm not trying to be regulatory nazi. I just want to make sure you understand that the FAA can still recognize you broke every rule and take action against you. Tread carefully with this stuff. The police thinking it's really cool doesn't change the law.

Speaking to the police before hand was definitely wise. Get their support, interest, and understanding before hand. No conflict later. However, It doesn't sound like what you did was legal, even if the local police didn't seem to care. You were flying over people, at a large sporting event, within NYC which I believe bans them, in a airspace that may actually restricted. And possibly in what could be considered a commercial operation, not for personal hobby use. I'm all for doing video for events, and I'm not trying to be regulatory nazi. I just want to make sure you understand that the FAA can still recognize you broke every rule and take action against you. Tread carefully with this stuff. The police thinking it's really cool doesn't change the law.

That is correct. As a law enforcement officer, I can tell you that the only action locals can take is if the feel you are reckless or endangering any lives or property, or enforce any local laws regarding flying of drones.They can also get your information and refer the details to the local FAA district office who can then take action directly against you (Very likely if referred by local law enforcement). There is no doubt what you did was illegal, but you probably got away with it this time.

Last week I was at a local event and a guy showed up with a Phantom. He was flying not only over peoples heads, but within 2-3'. I told him that he had better back off or I was going to ask him to leave. He went much higher and further out then and left shortly thereafter. But these are the types that will bring stricter regs and requirements on all of us.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig