Picked up a non-paying gig to capture some drone footage at an international event

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
I was reading about the event which takes place very close to where I live.

I was looking at the website and noticed they didnt have any drone coverage mentioned.

Emailed the organizers and sent them a clip of some of the footage I have grabbed and they sent me a press pass to capture some footage.

Not getting paid, but I will be putting this on the resume.

Someday this thing will pay for itself - and even if it doesnt, it is the most fun I have had outside a bar...within the boundaries of decency.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
FAA HomeUnmanned Aircraft Systems ▸ FAQs

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Can I fly a model aircraft or UAS over a stadium or at airshows or sporting events for hobby or recreation?
No. FAA guidance says that model aircraft flights should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas.
This applies to flying over events and it does not depend on it being a commercial operation.

If you've been invited by the organizer to get coverage and cover your bases safety wise I'm sure your fine. Many events are covered by drones and honestly until they finally stop dragging their feet with these regulations they've been perfecting for years I'd say go for it. Fly safe, stay away from the crowds and have manual mapped just in case. Congratulations I hope to be doing the same thing if they ever finish arguing specifics of commercial applications preferably, but I may try to offer free services as well until then.

If you've been invited by the organizer to get coverage and cover your bases safety wise I'm sure your fine. Many events are covered by drones and honestly until they finally stop dragging their feet with these regulations they've been perfecting for years I'd say go for it. Fly safe, stay away from the crowds and have manual mapped just in case. Congratulations I hope to be doing the same thing if they ever finish arguing specifics of commercial applications preferably, but I may try to offer free services as well until then.

My thinking exactly.

I went over the course with them during the meet up.

We agreed we werent going to capture any footage over any of the spectators.

There are two ends of the course that have a large enclosed area for when the course loops back going the other direction. I am going to be stationed in either one of these loops and move within the confines of the loops only - the spectators will only be on the outside of the course - nobody in the middle of the loops where I will be filming.

I also also got my cousin involved and he is going to be shooting from the other end of the course.

This will be interesting. He has the Phantom 3 and I am flying the Solo. Comparisons will be in order after the event.

My thinking exactly.

I went over the course with them during the meet up.

We agreed we werent going to capture any footage over any of the spectators.

There are two ends of the course that have a large enclosed area for when the course loops back going the other direction. I am going to be stationed in either one of these loops and move within the confines of the loops only - the spectators will only be on the outside of the course - nobody in the middle of the loops where I will be filming.

Good plan. I only intended to point out the current regulations.

We're in a position of hyper-scrutiny. I advertise my services and have gotten phone calls from people who hate drones and see them as an invasion of privacy. good luck.

[QUOTE="Adimuzio513, post: 58854, member: 266"]If you've been invited by the organizer to get coverage and cover your bases safety wise I'm sure your fine. Many events are covered by drones and honestly until they finally stop dragging their feet with these regulations they've been perfecting for years I'd say go for it. Fly safe, stay away from the crowds and have manual mapped just in case. Congratulations I hope to be doing the same thing if they ever finish arguing specifics of commercial applications preferably, but I may try to offer free services as well until then.[/QUOTE]

Organizers of an event do not have authority to grant you the right to fly over/around their event unless it is on private property, everyone participating is clearly aware of the UAV overhead AND that the airspace is not Class B AND a number of other determining factors. No matter what, if it's controlled airspace...I'd not want to risk it.

"Free services" also may comprise "commercial work." there is no debate about the specifics; dig into the FSIMs if you really want to know the depths of it all. http://tinyurl.com/FAA-FSIM
If you receive *any* benefit from shooting anything with your drone (notoriety, reputation, opportunity for more work) then it does fall under "commercial." There is a test case in front of a court right now.

The rules are very specific, very clear, and for those that want to operate 336 in "commercial" areas, understand that if caught, you may likely find yourself without the ability to achieve a 333 or challenge the knowledge program of Part 107 for an extended period of time (you may be put in federal "time out").

I'm not an inspector, not passing judgement, merely passing information.
I do however, hope and encourage people flying UAVs with the intent of being a professional (don't kid yourself, you're not any sort of professional without at LEAST a 333) then please learn the rules of the sky, the truth about FAA directives, what the laws actually say and how various FSDO's might interpret the FSIM (surprise, they vary). Being familiar with your local inspector is a VERY good thing.

For those that don't understand what a FSDO is, it's the Flight Standards District Office. Think "Police Precinct." The people who work there are Inspectors. Think "detectives and beat cops." Being buddies with Inspector Krupke is often a very good thing.;) Twice now, I've gotten 7711's on areas that others have been challenged to fly.

If you *really* want to dig deep, find your local FSDO, call and ask to meet their UAS Inspector. Most every office has one now, and the few I've experienced are THRILLED to hear from us because they have the opportunity to learn as much as the opportunity to teach.

This is all very new to the vast majorities who don't have backgrounds in aviation, and for many it's difficult to accept that a "toy" falls into the same category as a piston, turbine, or jet-powered aircraft. But they do, and likely always will.

[edit] for giggles, I looked up your area. Note that all of Brooklyn is within a restricted flight area with specials. May I gently suggest a no-name call from a payphone to your local FSDO? ;)

Brooklyn 1.JPG Brooklyn2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Jubalr
He's a hobbyist; just doing it for fun. Have the FAA prove otherwise :)

Doesn't matter. The rules regarding flight over people or in restricted airspace are not dependent on if the flight is for commercial gain or not.
Exactly this. Brooklyn is entirely covered by special restrictions, even for manned heli pilots. There is no 336 flying in Brooklyn that would be legal. And...the NYPD is very savvy about UAV. They have a few of their own that are currently grounded.
However, none of us are skycops, so to each his own and do as you will. Just realize that if you are caught, it makes life more difficult for everyone else.
I still recommend that unnamed call from a pay phone. ;)

Doesn't matter. The rules regarding flight over people or in restricted airspace are not dependent on if the flight is for commercial gain or not.
Agree completely. Last summer there was a report of the FAA warning a pilot and the company he flew for (for free) because the images were used commercially, even though the pilot did not directly gain.

He's a hobbyist; just doing it for fun. Have the FAA prove otherwise :)
This does not matter. If he is not flying as a hobby (he's not), technically this is a commercial gig and he needs a 333 exemption, a commercially registered quad and have a pilots license.
The FAA is quite clear... either it's hobby or it's not... this is not.

Q. Do I need a Section 333 grant of exemption if I'm not charging for my services?
A. Unless you are flying only for hobby or recreational purposes, you will need FAA authorization via a Section 333 grant of exemption to fly your unmanned aircraft system (UAS) for your business. This applies even if you are only flying to supplement or aide your business and not charging fees for doing so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M