Drone footage of that sporting event went better than expected

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
The organizers absolutely loved the footage that we captured.

They have us locked in for next year for the same event.

They also want to fly us to Europe to film their other events in the series this summer.

This was off of a blind email after seeing they did not have any drone coverage listed on their event website.

This organization is big enough and has relationships with all the permitting parties that they will probably be able to deal with the access issues for us to fly without hindrance.

We will probably just show up, present the birds for inspection and then fly.

My cousin is much better than me with the footage so I will have to practice to deliver.

Heat of the moment sometimes works.

Are you going to disregard all the laws and rules in Europe as well? :)

I am hoping the org we did the flying for takes care of all that to have us there.

It would be in their best interest to clear the way before paying for us to fly there and being told no.

I wouldnt go without a clean access and fly permit already in place.

That would be wise. However, remember it's your ass, not theirs, if they drop the ball. Just because someone in their organization says "Yep, it's fine", doesn't mean it is. It would be in your best interest to personally see to the rules, regulations, requirements, and penalties you will subjecting yourself to. At the end of they, it won't be the organization being held responsible. It will be you.

Reactions: onespeed
That would be wise. However, remember it's your ass, not theirs, if they drop the ball. Just because someone in their organization says "Yep, it's fine", doesn't mean it is. It would be in your best interest to personally see to the rules, regulations, requirements, and penalties you will subjecting yourself to. At the end of they, it won't be the organization being held responsible. It will be you.

And a free trip to Europe.

With accommodations.

If a free trip to Europe is worth being arrested, detained, or fined large amounts of money, then do whatever you want and trust that someone else is taking complete responsibility your actions. Enjoy. Hopefully nobody else is hurt while you're doing it.

Exactly. We complain about the government making regulations that shouldn't be needed. Then some people insist on proving the government's case for them doing stuff like this.

What is sad is the folks holding these events probably have insurance to protect them in case of injury. the unknowing pilot that ends up having someone injured by a drone gone bad will not.
lawsuits are ugly things

Exactly. We complain about the government making regulations that shouldn't be needed. Then some people insist on proving the government's case for them doing stuff like this.

What are you talking about?

I clearly stated that the organizers would take care of the permits and access.

Where did I say I was going to fly without permits or permission?

If they want me there they will be paying my way and dealing with the permit logistics.

I have no intention of flying and getting arrested or fined or jailed for flying the event.

What is sad is the folks holding these events probably have insurance to protect them in case of injury. the unknowing pilot that ends up having someone injured by a drone gone bad will not.
lawsuits are ugly things

If they want me there they will be paying my way and dealing with the permit logistics.

I have no intention of flying and getting arrested or fined or jailed for flying the event.

I think it was the part where you said getting arrested would be totally worth the free trip to Europe. Or the part where you keep pretending your personal responsibility is someone else's job.

I think it was the part where you said getting arrested would be totally worth the free trip to Europe. Or the part where you keep pretending your personal responsibility is someone else's job.

So serious in here. It was said in jest. People need to lighten up.

I will take the flight there and accommodations.

I will vet the arrangements made by the organizers and if they dont hold up I will not fly.

I will instead enjoy the free trip to Europe.

As far as personal responsibility, I have it in spades.

For the benefit of everyone else here, would you mind providing a copy of the COA that the FAA granted to the organizers? It might help some of us apply for flight within SFR areas (Special Flight Rules). There have been many times I've wanted to fly within SFR areas, but frankly, I don't know how to word the permit application. Any help would be appreciated.

For the benefit of everyone else here, would you mind providing a copy of the COA that the FAA granted to the organizers? It might help some of us apply for flight within SFR areas (Special Flight Rules). There have been many times I've wanted to fly within SFR areas, but frankly, I don't know how to word the permit application. Any help would be appreciated.
Now, now.. Let's not be tricky. And... I ask, What has the FAA got to do with flying in Europe? This fellow has all sorts of possibilities, depending on what country he's in.

You might join the AMA. Membership comes w liability insurance, but might not cover flying in those circumstances. Just a thought.

Now, now.. Let's not be tricky. And... I ask, What has the FAA got to do with flying in Europe? This fellow has all sorts of possibilities, depending on what country he's in.

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) the event he and his brother shot in Brooklyn.

Side note; I watched a Phantom 4 go into the water near the Halona blowhole last night; the guy was filming a bike trek. No 333, no care about any of it. When I asked about his work, he told me "The FAA in Hawaii doesn't care about drones." :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig