PeauPro has a new lens... the 3.37 19mm f2.8

That 3.8mm seems to have 2.8% distortion. Not a deal breaker for most but for me it is. I've tried five different lenses, right now I'm on the 4.35mm 16mp one for the gitup2. It has 4% distortion. Not the worst but it's an extra step not just in adding a lens profile to every shot but the added processing that needs to be done as well as the reduced amount of and stretched pixels.

While the price is hard to swallow, I think I'll go with the new Peau 3.37. I have a lot of situations where the waterproof case would be great and that lens AFAIK has negligble distortion. While sample media for that lens is small ATM it looks very promising with edge to edge sharpness.

That 3.8mm seems to have 2.8% distortion. Not a deal breaker for most but for me it is. I've tried five different lenses, right now I'm on the 4.35mm 16mp one for the gitup2. It has 4% distortion. Not the worst but it's an extra step not just in adding a lens profile to every shot but the added processing that needs to be done as well as the reduced amount of and stretched pixels.

While the price is hard to swallow, I think I'll go with the new Peau 3.37. I have a lot of situations where the waterproof case would be great and that lens AFAIK has negligble distortion. While sample media for that lens is small ATM it looks very promising with edge to edge sharpness.

EVERY lens has some amount of distortion and since Peau doesn't provide the distortion data on their lenses it is hard to make a clear comparison on that one technical tidbit. To be clear, I'm not saying one has more or less distortion than another just that this data is hard to find on some of them.

Does anyone know what the distortion percentage is on the 3.37mm and 3.97mm lenses?

Thanks again. Just ordered one from them.

When you lens arrives, please report back what your experience is and post up some photos if you can. I need to shoot some stills with mine and post them up. Grabbing snapshots from video isn't the same as just shooting a still.

Like can be done for other lenses, if the padding is removed from the back door and placed into the front of the housing the camera would be secure and would not rub.

Bit of an old thread, but I ran across this suggestion and thought I would try it. It didn't work because moving the padding from the back to the front made the GoPro too far from the power button to be able to turn it on while in the case. I tried moving just the padding on the top and leaving the lower one on the back (the Hero 4 case has two strips of padding). The camera ends up in a slight angle in the case but the buttons work.

Off to try the new lens. Man, it was a pain to change!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela