PeauPro has a new lens... the 3.37 19mm f2.8

so my Peau 3.37 lens came in today. installed it one of my gopros. set both gopros to the exact settings in single mode and took the same shot simultaneously side by side. take a look at the attachments and see for yourself.

**Disclaimer** i dont have an HDMI mini to HDMI cable so i focused the lens with the solo app and my ipad air2. would rather use my 55" tv for that, but you use what you got, right? Plus, the lighting is horrible for this. I'll try to post a shot from the solo's during daylight tomorrow pending weather.

1st image is Peau 3.37 ($140)
2nd image is gopro Stock ($0)
View attachment 5044 View attachment 5045

I don't see any viginetting pink or otherwise. Does it show up at all in more well lit images?

I don't see any viginetting pink or otherwise. Does it show up at all in more well lit images?
It's a subtle vignette and only really seen on white or lighter colored backgrounds. Heres a video i shot a week or so ago and you can see the pink hue in a number of shots where the background was light colored.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can't watch videos at work but I'll watch that when I get home.

Do you plan to ever get the PP software upgrade to deal with the viginetting? Does it show up in Medium wide settings or only in the Wide or Super Wide settings? When you replaced the lens did you do the disassembly method or did you just take out the lens with the camera body still intact? I hear lots of arguments for both methods.

I'll be honest, i tried to find a work around to fix this by either hacking the gopro software to remove the overlay imbedded in the FW, or by hacking the PP software they provide (i obtained a copy not from them), but the GP FW is pretty hard to crack, and the PP SW is almost impossible to hack as everything is server based from them. So, i ended up just paying the $50 for the SW PP offered. it worked just as expected and the pink hue is now gone.

For those of you who have used both the Peau-modded Hero and the Ribcage Air modded Hero, did you find any clear advantage of one over the other? I guess the obvious advance of the Ribcage is that I can swap out lenses relatively easily. But the conversion is pretty invasive, so I'm curious as to what you guys thought about these.

if I can be frank, both are overpriced for what they are. Unfortunately, multirotor is not a cheap hobby so they know their demographics have disposible income, hence $200+ for a Chinese CCTV lens and $50 for lens profile.

if you have good dexterity (precision with tiny movements), it's really not that hard at all. Just have to be careful with some cable ribbons.

What do I think of this new lens? i ahven't tried it yet...but with it being so similarly spec'd I'm thinking Peau knows with Solo being phased out means gopro drone are going to be history very soon. I just dont see much of a market for those who are doing non-aerial work to be bothered by fisheye esp now that there exists linear mode.

So one last hurrah on the lens modification front?

Last edited:
It's a subtle vignette and only really seen on white or lighter colored backgrounds. Heres a video i shot a week or so ago and you can see the pink hue in a number of shots where the background was light colored.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
If your video is any indication, that pink hue is very subtle.

dml the lens looks great but the picture you provided is too noisy to check fine focus, could you do a shot with higher light such as outdoors?

There are options available without spending so much on a lens. I got a 3.8mm 16mp lens directly from 4Klens for $40 shipped and it looks every bit as good as the Peau lenses. Even if I pay PP $50 for the pink eye removal I'm still way ahead. And swapping and focusing lenses is VERY easy.

Attached is a snapshot taken from video using my 4Klens 3.8mm 16mp lens.

vlcsnap-2017-03-08-21h43m03s119.png

Last edited:
There are options available without spending so much on a lens. I got a 3.8mm 16mp lens directly from 4Klens for $40 shipped and it looks every bit as good as the Peau lenses. Even if I pay PP $50 for the pink eye removal I'm still way ahead. And swapping and focusing lenses is VERY easy.

View attachment 5611

If you get a good copy it is a nice lens for much less. Mine is soft to one side but other than that I like it.

Last edited:
Usually, it seems, dronies want a camera that brings the subject as close as possible with out magnifying any movement to much. I don't understand either the reason for selling a 3.37 and a 3.97 unless the 3.37 is really that good

Another benefit of the Peau 3.37 is that it fits into GoPro's waterproof housing.

What! there are other users other than Solo owners that use Heros?:eek:

View attachment 5611
Does this lens fit in the waterproof housing?

Does this lens fit in the waterproof housing?

Well, yes, mostly. In my case (might depend on how it is focused) the new lens just barely touches the inside of the housing glass. Like can be done for other lenses, if the padding is removed from the back door and placed into the front of the housing the camera would be secure and would not rub. I'm going to pick a housing or two and modify them to work with this camera/lens combo. I have multiple housings so modifying a few isn't a big deal and for sound quality reasons I'm finding I use the Frame mount more and more often anyway.

If you get a good copy it is a nice lens for much less. Mine is soft to one side but other than that I like it.
So return/exchange it for another copy? When I dealt with 4Klens (don't know where you bought yours) they were very responsive and very eager to please. I'm sure they would have replaced it if it had been less than perfect. I'm also sure there are various versions out there, I'm enough impressed with what I got from 4Klens that I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again. You can buy direct from them, no ebay or AliExpress to get in the middle and muck up the process. Paying with PayPal gives you some buyer protection and support.

They can be found at: 4K LENS | Online Store for 4K Rectilinear Gopro Camera VR Mapping Lens

They also offer other lenses that compare to what Peau sells (and may be the same lenses for all I know) for slightly better prices, but the price difference may be worth it do deal with a company in the US if you have your heart set on a specific lens. But 4Klens's 3.8mm at $40 is probably the best lens bargain out there. Killer product for a reasonable price. In my case, shipping was only 9 days from order to arrival.

Last edited:
Nev
So return/exchange it for another copy? When I dealt with 4Klens (don't know where you bought yours) they were very responsive and very eager to please. I'm sure they would have replaced it if it had been less than perfect. I'm also sure there are various versions out there, I'm enough impressed with what I got from 4Klens that I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again. You can buy direct from them, no ebay or AliExpress to get in the middle and muck up the process. Paying with PayPal gives you some buyer protection and support.

They can be found at: 4K LENS | Online Store for 4K Rectilinear Gopro Camera VR Mapping Lens

I sent 4K lens a number of photos and videos of the problem; they would never admit to seeing the problem and kept telling me to focus it. So, no I am not impressed with their customer service. Once purchased you are on you own.

I disputed the charge with my credit card company and got my money back. I would rather have had a better lens.

Peau claims to examine their lens to insure the ones they send out are good. Whether this is true or worth it the price increase is subjective.

All these lens from China are relatively cheap to produce and come from the same factories despite who is selling. So some place just markup more than others. Peau seem to get exclusives which make it hard or impossible to find the same spec lens from other sellers.

Nev

I sent 4K lens a number of photos and videos of the problem; they would never admit to seeing the problem and kept telling me to focus it. So, no I am not impressed with their customer service. Once purchased you are on you own.

I disputed the charge with my credit card company and got my money back. I would rather have had a better lens.

Peau claims to examine their lens to insure the ones they send out are good. Whether this is true or worth it the price increase is subjective.

All these lens from China are relatively cheap to produce and come from the same factories despite who is selling. So some place just markup more than others. Peau seem to get exclusives which make it hard or impossible to find the same spec lens from other sellers.

One more thought on your bad lens. I'm assuming you did the lens swap yourself. I'm also assuming you just unscrewed the old lens and screwed in the new one without disassembling the camera and more importantly without installing the lens housing that came with the lens. That said, did the new lens fit a bit loosly once threaded in? Did you either install the lens housing that came with it or put a bit of Teflon tape on the threads?

The reason I ask is the lens I got fit just slightly loose in the original GoPro lens housing. I was going to put the housing in that came with the lens since it fit much more snuggly in that housing, but decided to first try some Teflon tape on the threads. For my situation, that was just enough, snugged it up without binding it up.

And again, the reason I bring all this up is that when I first installed the lens and before I noticed it was a little loose, when I was focusing it I found it hard to get a good focus that would stay. I would get it focused, bump the lens and it would be slightly out of focus, mostly to one side or another. I then discovered the tiny wobble in the lens and how moving it within the wobble affected the focus. As I said above, a little Teflon tape later to snug up the threads and the focus was rock solid and no fuzziness anywhere once I got a good focus. Could this also be the issue with your lens?

Well, yes, mostly. In my case (might depend on how it is focused) the new lens just barely touches the inside of the housing glass. Like can be done for other lenses, if the padding is removed from the back door and placed into the front of the housing the camera would be secure and would not rub. I'm going to pick a housing or two and modify them to work with this camera/lens combo. I have multiple housings so modifying a few isn't a big deal and for sound quality reasons I'm finding I use the Frame mount more and more often anyway.
Thank you. Is this the one you have? Online Shop 4K LENS 1/2.3" 3.8MM Gopro Lens 16MP M12 Mount Low Distortion for Hero 4 Black Camera 2016 Newly Coming | Aliexpress Mobile

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela