Peau lens comparison - 3.97mm vs 4.35mm

J R

Reaction score
As all of you know, I'm a complete amateur when it comes anything photographic. I'm providing these clips just in case it could be useful to anyone out there. I have two GPH4B's, one has a Peau installed 4.35mm lens and on the other I installed a 3.97mm Peau lens (It may not be adjusted properly).

We finally got a little break in the weather so I thought I'd do a couple of Tower runs with the different cameras. I recorded these at 2.7k 30fps but dropped them down to 1080p in edit for easier upload to YT. The Tower runs were back to back with all of the same settings. Many of you will recall the same clips from previous runs.

Anyway, nothing special, just thought I'd try to share.

Jerry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As all of you know, I'm a complete amateur when it comes anything photographic. I'm providing these clips just in case it could be useful to anyone out there. I have two GPH4B's, one has a Peau installed 4.35mm lens and on the other I installed a 3.97mm Peau lens (It may not be adjusted properly).

We finally got a little break in the weather so I thought I'd do a couple of Tower runs with the different cameras. I recorded these at 2.7k 30fps but dropped them down to 1080p in edit for easier upload to YT. The Tower runs were back to back with all of the same settings. Many of you will recall the same clips from previous runs.

Anyway, nothing special, just thought I'd try to share.

Jerry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks for posting that JR. I have the 4.35 and have been on the fence about switching to the 3.97, strictly for the 12mp vs 10mp of the 4.35. But not sure I can see a difference with my old eyes. Anyone else?

Reactions: J R
The 4.35 looks a little "crisper" to me but that's it- they are virtually identical.

May be just an adjustment issue on the 3.97 like you said.

The 4.35 looks a little "crisper" to me but that's it- they are virtually identical.

May be just an adjustment issue on the 3.97 like you said.

Dog,

I did the focus in the house out the window. I might need to do it outside. The weather here has been horrible so I haven't had much time outside.

Jerry

these are great, thanks for posting
I am still not sold on the 3.9
for now I am sticking with the 4.4

They both look about as sharp to me, but it's kind of hard to tell with youtube pixelation. I did see a bit more lens flare on the 4.35, but that could have been due to a slightly different flight time (sun lower in sky, different angle etc). I do like the wider FOV of the 3.97 over the 4.35, but that really seems to be about the only difference.

They both look sharp to me as well. I do like the flatter image of the 4.35, though. Question: the land feature around 1:30 - is that the remnants of an ancient oblique meteor strike?

Reactions: erikgraham and J R
They both look sharp to me as well. I do like the flatter image of the 4.35, though. Question: the land feature around 1:30 - is that the remnants of an ancient oblique meteor strike?

Acro,

It's what a farmer would call a stock dam. As Pyrate noted, a man-made pond to provide water for cattle.

Jerry

Thanks for posting that JR. I have the 4.35 and have been on the fence about switching to the 3.97, strictly for the 12mp vs 10mp of the 4.35. But not sure I can see a difference with my old eyes. Anyone else?
The 3.97 is 16 megapixel. But yeah, the GoPro itself is limited to 12. I find the 3.97 to be sharper than my 4.35. Both were focused by Peau - so unless they messed up, they should both be well focused.

The 3.97 is 16 megapixel. But yeah, the GoPro itself is limited to 12. I find the 3.97 to be sharper than my 4.35. Both were focused by Peau - so unless they messed up, they should both be well focused.
and i should mention the lens flare on the 3.97 is nicer. I'll post an example if I can find some decent bandwidth around here.

thats a man made irrigation pond ;-)

Hard for me to afford 1, let alone 2.
This is why it's so important to me to chose the right one first.

I need Clear, Crisp & great color going to the GP sensor.
I believe that GP's Len's achieve this, but at the cost of the dreaded fisheye! Although, Defishr, Premiere's preset for Gp's 4K fisheye, does a good job, the process to remove this, is very taxing lately on all my system resources.

If i can save the service change $130 "Old Lens removal, installing new Lens & Pink conners removal" I most likely would order 1 tomorrow & do the work my self.
I wonder how many others would buy a lens from Peau, if not for the $130 extra?

Last edited:
in my mind having them focus and remove the pink is the only reason to send it to them right now
they are very easy to install and focus for that matter.
getting the pink out, not so much. I am now shooting 4K wide with my 4.4 and cropping down to 1080p, I end up cropping most of the pink out anyway

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig