Peau 8.25 test video

After using the Peau 3.37, 3.97, 5.4, and 8.25 for still photo's the 8.25 appears to be the only true rectilinear lens. The others still show a slight amount of fish eye distortion when comparing objects off in the distance compared to what is up close. For video the 3.37 and 3.97 are great. Still photo's with those two lenses are easy to pick apart not being good. All are better than the stock lens

Reactions: RichWest
After using the Peau 3.37, 3.97, 5.4, and 8.25 for still photo's the 8.25 appears to be the only true rectilinear lens. The others still show a slight amount of fish eye distortion when comparing objects off in the distance compared to what is up close. For video the 3.37 and 3.97 are great. Still photo's with those two lenses are easy to pick apart not being good. All are better than the stock lens
Yes, but this is also true of standard lenses when comparing "angle of view" the 3.37 is equivalent to a 19mm (35mm full frame) lens. The 5.4mm was a decent tradeoff not to get the standard wide angle distortion.

BTW...this is why software correction of a fisheye lens image to straighten out the horizon is a poor man's but better than nothing fix. As you pointed out the edges will still suffer compared to a more narrow angle lens.

Sorry for the run on sentences!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have a 16mm on my Sony 5100 on a Solo, equivalent to 24mm full frame, and I get no distortion. I'm guessing the 3.97 should be in the ball park with it. I agree with what you are saying but people need to know that just because you buy an aftermarket lens the distortion problem is not necessarily 100% gone. 3.97 example attachedlarry 5.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 16mm on my Sony 5100 on a Solo, equivalent to 24mm full frame, and I get no distortion. I'm guessing the 3.97 should be in the ball park with it. I agree with what you are saying but people need to know that just because you buy an aftermarket lens the distortion problem is not necessarily 100% gone. 3.97 example attachedView attachment 7828
You nailed it..."Rectilinear" is just a reference to an image with a straight horizon. It is not necessarily distortion free. If you're shooting for an architectural firm they want square lines and it's more convenient to do it in camera with the right longer focal length lens.

That said when working in Adobe Lightroom we can perform miracles in post that goes beyond straight lines.

Isn't this a great time to be an image maker, video and stills?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the sample footage. Been going back and forth about whether to pick up the 8.25mm. I shoot with both a Mavic Air and a Solo + Ribcage Air + 5.4mm. I want to be able to grab even longer focal length to have a contrast in shots, but am worried about the stability. My Solo is totally stock, but seems to work great for the most part. In some cases I will get a little vibe ripple. I shoot mainly video.

Another question: Does reducing scan rate by stopping down really improve vibe/ripple? I have stopped these silly little cameras down for years via ND to blur airplane propellers. I would likely to the same on this lens.

Which begs the next question: what's available for filters? Are we using the free filters installed behind the lens? Or are there cap filters you can easily swap on/off?

8.25 works great but Shutter speed is important as well as a little post stabilization. I'm using "cap filters". Usually in the range of ND 8 - 32.

8.25 works great but Shutter speed is important as well as a little post stabilization. I'm using "cap filters". Usually in the range of ND 8 - 32.

I generally run at 24 fps, 1/48 or 1/50 (whichever is available), ISO at lowest available, and stop down via filters to correct exposure since these fixed apertures are pretty open. Isn't shutter speed just an analogue of progressive scan rate, though?

The rotary shutter of my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. I don't understand why it's not more popular in some of these smaller cameras. Cost I suppose.

Where do you find the cap ND's?

I generally run at 24 fps, 1/48 or 1/50 (whichever is available), ISO at lowest available, and stop down via filters to correct exposure since these fixed apertures are pretty open. Isn't shutter speed just an analogue of progressive scan rate, though?

The rotary shutter of my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. I don't understand why it's not more popular in some of these smaller cameras. Cost I suppose.

Where do you find the cap ND's?
60 fps is all I have used with the 8.25. I float the ISO between 100 - 400 to help with exposure. Using Peau Production ND PL filters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc