Peau 8.25 test video

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Peau does not recommend the 8.25mm lens for a Solo. Why the hell not? This was in a good breeze. This test was just designed to look at different textures, colors, sharp angles, etc. Miore effect was minimal. This is a good lens in my opinion for wildlife. In my case it will be for Dolphin. The 5.4mm was crap and this is a huge improvement. Although the 3.37 and 3.97 lenses are the go to staple, this 8.25 is the best in that the edges of the frame are not soft, and in focus just like the rest of the lens. It takes very good still photos also.

Settings: Wide, 2.7k 60fps, white balance native, color flat, shutter 1/120, ISO max 400, sharpness medium.. ND 8PL filter. I nailed the proper filter today. Its a fine line sometimes between a 32, 16 or 8. A lot of high clouds and the 8 was perfect

Nicely done. You conquered the holy gray of lens for the Solo. Peau should give you a camera for your effort....

A few minor post stabilization boo boo's. It was a quick editing effort just for a test. When I first take off you can see a light post wiggle a bit and then later when I stop from a fast yaw the image gets a little funky. Before post stabilization the only real problem was a little left to right jitter from the wind. Certainly a usable lens I think. No jello in the original.

I appreciate the continuous flight, better than expected results considering the subject surfaces. Posting all the settings and that you stabbed in post was helpful as well.

Would you provide a clip of 5:15-5:25 with 2X zoom...? It was about the only time you went 90 with the gimbal.

Peau should give me my money back for the 5.4mm.:)
That would work as well....

2x Zoom. Looks like crap on a 30" monitor.

Reactions: RichWest
2x Zoom. Looks like crap on a 30" monitor.
Expected results considering you downsized to 1080. The diffused light (clouds) and then the PL filter plays a part off the reflective surfaces near and far. Again your subject location is one of the more difficult ones to deal with...not ideal.

Again you accomplished what others can't with this lens. Whatever you did to tone down Solo works very well. I can see application for the lens, but like you've said a 3.37 or 3.97 would be the defaults. Nice work!

Solo mod's are: Open Solo with stock cube running 1.5.4, Mro GPS, Sorbothane on the main board, and when putting the sorbothane in I made sure the HDMI cable going to the gimbal was placed in such a way not to put much pressure on the gimbal. I failed to mention earlier that this was edited on Gopro Studio and saved to 1080. Then mildly stabilized with Adobe Premier. Premier will not let you stabilize 2.7K. It needs to be 4K or 1080 unfortunately ( unless I'm missing something). Oh ya, Master Airscrew props also.

Reactions: RichWest
Peau should give me my money back for the 5.4mm.:)
I think you got a bad 5.4 from Peau. Whatever your issues I had none. 5.4mm was my first venture into these modes first from Rage Cam and then to Peau.

They stand by their product and would bet they'll either trade to another lens if you ask.

Did you do the mod yourself or have them do it? Not implying anything wrong in doing it yourself. I chose to have turnkey usually when available for mods.

BTW...beside wild life you now have an inspection lens that allows you to stay a safe distance from towers or whatever could be dangerous.

Congrats.

I think you got a bad 5.4 from Peau. Whatever your issues I had none. 5.4mm was my first venture into these modes first from Rage Cam and then to Peau.

They stand by their product and would bet they'll either trade to another lens if you ask.

Did you do the mod yourself or have them do it? Not implying anything wrong in doing it yourself. I chose to have turnkey usually when available for mods.

BTW...beside wild life you now have an inspection lens that allows you to stay a safe distance from towers or whatever could be dangerous.

Congrats.
I have done the lens swap 4 out of 5 times.

At the moment Peau has them for $450. I consider that a good deal because the lens and pink profile removal is basically $200.

Peau does not recommend the 8.25mm lens for a Solo. Why the hell not? This was in a good breeze. This test was just designed to look at different textures, colors, sharp angles, etc. Miore effect was minimal. This is a good lens in my opinion for wildlife. In my case it will be for Dolphin. The 5.4mm was crap and this is a huge improvement. Although the 3.37 and 3.97 lenses are the go to staple, this 8.25 is the best in that the edges of the frame are not soft, and in focus just like the rest of the lens. It takes very good still photos also.
Very well done! I can easily see this is better for getting a cinematic look with certain subject matter. A different gopro for every different lens (well at least 2). Another investment is in the horizon! Thanks for posting!

Very well done! I can easily see this is better for getting a cinematic look with certain subject matter. A different gopro for every different lens (well at least 2). Another investment is in the horizon! Thanks for posting!
I have 5 with 4 different lenses. Later today I will be posting the original raw video that came out of the camera. It may be of interest to some. It may take a while. Its been uploading for over a hour and is only at 30%. It's an enormous file and I'm not sure how YouTube will handle it.

Last edited:

The raw untouched version. First couple minutes are just making sure I'm recording and checking the gimbal presets. You will see the jitters that were removed in post. This is the last you will see of this video here.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I appreciate you posting up the un-edited video, nice to see honest video of before and after. It is a great reference for the lens performance and for others to compare their gimbal stability. An aha moment for me, just proves further what @erikgraham and others have said about post stab efforts.

Now go make some videos...!

So when you say " aha moment " you are referring to how bad something can look raw and the power of post work? In the digital age it is most amazing.

I used a trial of Premier and only had one edit before it expired. So my knowledge of post stab is limited to what people say and then one short edit. It's the echo chamber affect, looking at only my un-edited videos for the last couple of years makes Rich a dull boy....and a little dense.

I'm crazy about mechanical stabilizing the camera and gimbal. The 8.25mm is a challenging lens for any platform. Maybe one day I'll feel confident enough with my solution to try it myself....

More mechanical stabilization the better. Premier elements was like $100 dollars for both photo and video. From what I have seen from you, your non post stabilized stuff has been very good. I'm not using Premier CC but Premier Elements which you own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986