Open heart surgery

I am thinking that the brown outs are due to motors not getting enough power in high power maneuvers (Launch up vertical). The card should have constant power. would capacitors on the motor ESC help or at least flying less sporty

Since we're working off "rumors" of a brownout and searching for "MikroTik Brownout" will show up zero results, we might as well theorize that passing alien spacecraft has been causing brownouts of these cards in the solo, it holds just as much weight.

It's no use putting forward theories regarding what's causing an issue that doesn't seem to exist. Why not try to find a thread where someone has had a verifiable incident and what their finding were instead.

Reactions: JBAlaska
Nice guy on here sold me a wifi card he said installing one in the solo causes brownouts. Installed already just need to test but i did find the thread about the brownouts and its from an email a guy on here recieved here it is.

Hello Damien, the cards are plug n play no wiring needed, also we only use one mikrotek card on the remote controller and leave the 3dr wifi card in the aircraft. After extensive testing with these upgrade cards we found the card in the aircraft burns out the IMX6 and will lose live view streem. The upgrade cards run at 800 mA and the aircraft will not perform properly when pushing the limit of the medium flight rate. We have reached 5000 ft range with the one card in the remote and the system performs muchbetter especially when the outside temp. is above 90 deg...."

I think im going to stick with one card for good measure.

Nice guy on here sold me a wifi card he said installing one in the solo causes brownouts. Installed already just need to test but i did find the thread about the brownouts and its from an email a guy on here recieved here it is.

Hello Damien, the cards are plug n play no wiring needed, also we only use one mikrotek card on the remote controller and leave the 3dr wifi card in the aircraft. After extensive testing with these upgrade cards we found the card in the aircraft burns out the IMX6 and will lose live view streem. The upgrade cards run at 800 mA and the aircraft will not perform properly when pushing the limit of the medium flight rate. We have reached 5000 ft range with the one card in the remote and the system performs muchbetter especially when the outside temp. is above 90 deg...."

I think im going to stick with one card for good measure.
Aye, but the one further in the thread says
"I have installed at least 60 - 70 sets into the 3DR Solos we sell and no reports of brownouts."

I of course will always urge caution in the face of the unknown but would also like to find proof or a definitive answer.

Yea i read that too. Better safe than sorry i say, last thing i need is giving someone a haircut with a rogue quadcopter.

Aye, but the one further in the thread says
"I have installed at least 60 - 70 sets into the 3DR Solos we sell and no reports of brownouts."

I of course will always urge caution in the face of the unknown but would also like to find proof or a definitive answer.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
7824438d369a80fcdb44c1ed926b82eb.jpg

I know a guy, that said his friend's cousin's brother in law read somewhere that someone had a brownout caused by upgrading Solo's wifi card.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Here’s another one I found on a thread about the WiFi upgrade and brownouts.

I would suggest to only put one in the controller.....not the drone itself........guys at mRobitics.io indicated that putting one into the drone may lead to brownout or burnout of the im6x.processor.......call them with questions concerning......they indicated this to me the day I visited them here in San Diego......they are located just south of San Diego in Chula Vista.......great bunch of guys.....ex-employees of 3dr Robotics.... these are the guys that will fix your drone when it is out of warranty...also these are the guys with the plug & play GPS upgrade......

I am thinking that the brown outs are due to motors not getting enough power in high power maneuvers (Launch up vertical). The card should have constant power. would capacitors on the motor ESC help or at least flying less sporty
No. That doesn't make sense and is nothing to do with the potential brownout issues.

There are a lot more people using them successfully with no brownouts than there are people with brownouts. So if you want to play the odds, have at it. Just accept that you're playing the odds and it is NOT a 100% safe mod.

I personally do not find the risk to be worth the reward. A set of better antennas on the controller will do far more good than new wifi cards ever could, with zero possible problems, and no disassembly required.

Reactions: JBAlaska and DJMc
There are a lot more people using them successfully with no brownouts than there are people with brownouts. So if you want to play the odds, have at it. Just accept that you're playing the odds and it is NOT a 100% safe mod.

I personally do not find the risk to be worth the reward. A set of better antennas on the controller will do far more good than new wifi cards ever could, with zero possible problems, and no disassembly required.
What antennas do you recommend?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44