Open heart surgery

Reaction score
She's getting the MikroTik wifi card upgrade. Finally! Will post range performance once I'm done.
faf7602750baaaf0cc580aa097c01f7f.jpg

They made a pretty marked difference in my two work Solos. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

I hope it's worth the effort because this mod is definitely a pain. So little room to work with! I'm still working on the Solo, haven't touched the controller :(

I hope it's worth the effort because this mod is definitely a pain. So little room to work with! I'm still working on the Solo, haven't touched the controller :(
I appreciated the extra range (call it 50% or so increase), but more than that, the extra signal strength/integrity up close. I had some fields where there were power lines and radio towers and those were nigh on impossible to survey before the MicroTik upgrade. Afterwards, they worked just fine.

The remote is a welcome break after the Solo itself. Just do be careful to not yank any of the incredibly thin wires too hard in either :|

Wow!! Went to 8000 feet no problem. This was with Alfas installed. Hit return to home only because of battery level. I'd say this mod is definitely worth it.
559bdcd21cfca19087f30b4aef432870.jpg

I thought someone had said you have to upgrade both the controller and the solo itself with the wifi cards, otherwise there wouldn't be a noticeable increase in range at all due to the way the communication works between the two. Any truth to that? Or are you noticing an increase with just upgrading the card in the solo?

Sorry for the confusion but this is with both Solo AND controller wifi cards swapped.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Thanks for the clarification, I have gotten someone more talented with taking things apart to upgrade one of my controllers, I have just received a 2nd card and will have them upgrade the drone also. Then compare with my non upgraded wifi solos. 8000 feet is pretty amazing though, I pushed it to around 3500 feet with my Alpha's, could probably have gone further but didn't want to risk it over the sea.

I was smiling when it hit 5000 because I didn't think it would go that far. I could've went further but I burned maybe 2 or 3 minutes of battery at the beginning of the flight because I had forgotten to remove the altitude limit front the app. I'm up there with the Phantom distances now lol. Gonna go out later this evening with a fresh battery and see how far she goes. This was done in the outskirts of the city by the way. There's a subdivision nearby so there's a possibility there was a small amount of wifi interference.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishmanPDX
My cards are on the way to me now, can't wait to install and test[emoji106]

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I recommend watching the installation how-to before you begin.
Are you installing in controller only or both?

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I recommend watching the installation how-to before you begin.
Are you installing in controller only or both?
I did both and the install went great after watching the video, under an hour.

Cool thanks I’m going to get me a couple and give it a try

You only need one.

In the controller it can improve reliability of connection and combined with directional antennas you can get more distance. While many have been flying for a long time with one in their Solo as well, it is recommended not to do this as it can cause a brownout. For me, it's not worth the risk to use one in the Solo.

Reactions: june03dr
Has anyone experienced a 'brownout' from the card upgrade in Solo?

I thought I read somewhere that you needed to upgrade both WiFi cards for it to be effective at all, this was due to the fact that there is constant communication back and forth between the solo and the controller. So upgrading the card in the controller may improve wifi signal to the drone, but the drone's wifi may still not be powerful enough to send a signal back to the controller over longer distances (and vice versa). I'v also heard "rumors" of a possible brownout situation but never anything concrete.

I only upgraded my controller and got 2 miles but was understood to only upgrade in the controller because of brown outs cause solo wasn't made to handle the power of the card

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40