Oops...Noob runs Mission Planner

Reaction score
I was just connecting to start learning a bit. I had no intention of changing anything... For some reason I thought I needed to run the setup wizard...Then it started asking me things I had no idea what the answer was, for instance about the battery sensor.

So, I quit, or so I thought.

I flew it today, and yep, I messed up. The low battery signal went off from the beginning. It flew, but the alarm kept going off. The thing flew, but it only showed 0.0v.

I am hesitant to get into the deepest recesses as I bumble along in my ignorance. Any ideas how or links on how to proceed without too much risk?

Thank you.

I did search about this on the forum, and it was mentioned that a factory reset doesn't necessarily reset everything that can be messed with in Mission Planner.

That was the basis of my question. I will give the factory reset a go, and see what happens.

Factory reset

So, I did that, and it reset the firmware back to the original (I assume, since the incessant beeping changed in pitch). The alarm for low battery isn't stopping, though. I have tried it multiple times. The beeping hasn't stopped. I have had to reset it while closed in the car to keep my family from revolting.

Any other ideas?

So, the factory reset hasn't been fun. It didn't work, and while I have done anything at all to my controller, it is now locked up. I reset it as well, as the process instructed, and now it is stuck on a "preflight update" screen. It won't turn off, and it doesn't have a WiFi address visible to my phone.

14887363590111616770966.jpg

Reset stock parameters using Tower App

Connect to the SoloLink WiFi network
Open Tower Go to Menu >> Setting >> Telemetry Connection Type >> UDP
Go back to the main screen >> Click on Connect
Go to Menu >> Parameters
Look and change SYSID_SW_MREV to 0
From option on the top
select Upload (folder with Up arrow)
Disconnect and reboot Solo

After you do that, connect using Solo App and re do Compass and Level Calibration.

Red light inside controller is constant red. No other lights. What the !!!...I just reset it, why does that break the thing?

So, according to the site, the main computer board in the controller isn't getting power.

I am referring to the original issue of altered parameters.

First things first, pull the battery from the controller and the solo for about 10 seconds, then put them back in. See if that gets the controller's wifi up and running again. Sometimes it needs that.

Second, did you do anything that sounded like downloading and installing firmware through mission planner? As long as you didn't do that, do as @ZdroneZ said to reset the pixhawk parameters back to default. Presuming of course you can get the WiFi connection back. After that, reboot and see if things play nice in the sandbox again.

Reactions: 5r49cfu
When you factory reset the controller the password reverts back to original SoloLink password.

Prior to all of this I did update the Solo firmware to 1.5.3, but I didn't use Mission Planner, I used a Windows file transfer program. That all worked fine, and no problems. Then I did the MP mess. The controller was hooked up and part of the wifi link at that time.

I flew after that, and it worked, except for the beeping. The factory reset was likely a mistake without having gone back to the previous firmware in Solo.

There's a lot bamboozled here.

• First, don't just start pushing buttons in Mission Planner o_O

• When the controller is acting dumb, a battery pull fixes it quite often.

• The controller and aircraft are factory reset separately. Resetting one does not reset the other. If you didn't reset the controller too, then it hasn't been reset. You should always factory reset both or things sometimes get confused or won't connect. Follow ALL THE STEPS including the repairing at the bottom. Factory Reset | 3DR Site Scan - Commercial Drone Platform.

• After you've factory reset and repaired everything, it is probably wise to reset the Pixhawk too. I would do this before you proceed with the firmware updates. Factory resetting the aircraft does not reset or reflash the Pixhawk too. To reset the pixhawk back to Solo defaults, change parameter SYSID_SW_MREV to 0 and reboot. It will restart, beep, and blink a bunch, and be done. Note, this is assuming you didn't go flash Arducopter 3.x firmware when pushing buttons in Mission Planner.

• Then you should use the 3DR Solo app to update the firmware. Just like you had to do when it was new. It will download and install as per normal. Lots of beeps and blinks. Done.

• Then do a level calibration. You can do this inside or outside, doesn't matter.

• Then do a compass calibration. This absolutely must be done outside. Well away from buildings, vehicles, power lines, metal fences, concrete with rebar, and other metallic interference.

• Once that is all done, I recommend you put it back on the ground where you intend to fly from, turn it off, and turn it back on so it boots up normally and initializes while sitting firmly on the ground. Go fly.

I will give that a try. I honestly didn't intend to push any buttons in MP. I clicked connect and the setup wizard popped up. I seem like an idiot, and while I am very ignorant, I try not to be an idiot. I do feel like a fool.

I followed the factory reset on the 3dr website to the letter, doing both the bird and the controller. I will attempt to follow what you suggested. I appreciate your making suggestions on this.

I pulled the controller batt (only way to turn it off), let it sit for a few minutes, and same screen pops up. The same red light sent through the vents.

Solo and the incessant beeping I understand, but the controller seems like a second different issue, except it happens now.

When I do the factory reset on Solo (I cannot do another on the controller, it will not let me) it goes through, but I never see a WiFi connection show up, and I cannot pair it to the controller, so I cannot check or change anything that you mention to cause a reset of the pixhawk.

Is there a way to hard reset the controller?

Nothing you do in MP will effect the controller. It sounds like a coincidental second problem. Also, the controller is the WiFi access point, not the aircraft. So with the controller shot, you will have no Solo Wifi. I would do like that thread suggested and try reseating the card inside the controller.

Reactions: Coastwise
I would do like that thread suggested and try reseating the card inside the controller.

That is done, and the controller works. Nothing was apparently loose, but it did the trick.

Then, I got the reset, pairing and it forced me to update the firmware when I launched the Solo app... Probably not necessary. This all happened with me in the car in the garage to keep my family from beating the beeping Solo to death with a bat.

Still in the car (minivan, so it wasn't that rough) I launched MP and I do not know how to find the SYSID_SW_MREV setting...I am looking around a bit to see what I can learn about MP...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks