Spanning Batteries In Mission Planner or Tower

Reaction score
Will Mission Planner and/or Tower allow you to span longer survey missions across multiple batteries? I did read something on this group a while back with respect to Mission Planner sending the copter home for a battery change during a flight and resuming the mission where it left off. If the mission were a long roadway and you were to follow the copter out of the camera's view as it flew down the alignment of the road; how can you setup Mission Planner to have the copter land and resume for battery changes? My concern is that I wouldn't want it to attempt a return to home (i.e. the original starting point) but just stop where it is running low on power and land, do a quick battery swap and pickup where it left off. Thanks for any ideas.

I know the Arducopter guys have something along the lines of "resuming previous mission" on their to-do list. The Arducopter code in the Pixhawk would need to accommodate remembering where it left off and resuming. Then the Mission Planner and Tower application user interfaces need to be modified to interact with it. I don't believe it's been done yet though. So the way people get around it is this: Start the mission, it will do it's thing. Mission interrupted by a low battery. Not the waypoint where it left off. Change the battery, put it back into Auto mode. It will restart at the beginning of the mission. You can issue a manual mission command through Mission Planner to skip to Waypoint X and go from there. So it's a cumbersome manual thing today. Nothing automatic.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I know the Arducopter guys have something along the lines of "resuming previous mission" on their to-do list. The Arducopter code in the Pixhawk would need to accommodate remembering where it left off and resuming. Then the Mission Planner and Tower application user interfaces need to be modified to interact with it. I don't believe it's been done yet though. So the way people get around it is this: Start the mission, it will do it's thing. Mission interrupted by a low battery. Not the waypoint where it left off. Change the battery, put it back into Auto mode. It will restart at the beginning of the mission. You can issue a manual mission command through Mission Planner to skip to Waypoint X and go from there. So it's a cumbersome manual thing today. Nothing automatic.
Hi Pedals2Paddles... Do you know if battery spanning was ever worked out in the latest Mission Planner? Finally fixed my 4k display with Mission Planner and am trying to get a multi-battery flight plan setup. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. -Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela