No camera view after firmware update

Reaction score
I updated the Android App to 2.3 (this is the latest available to me in the App Store) and the firmware today to 2.4. GoPro 4 Black.
Now I don’t get any camera view on the App anymore.
I can initiate the recording and control camera settings, I just don’t see the camera view in the App.
I tried the GoPro App separately, that works, so the GoPro is fine.
I switched the Wifi of the GoPoro off again, inserted in Folo, connected the HDMI, again no image.
I followed all the steps on the Website, rebooted all components, used different GoPro settings, no result.
Used a different Android device, with different Android version (5.01 and 6.01), same result.
It all used to work fine before the firmware upgrade.

Please advice as I am about to go on a trip where I bought the Solo for.

Details:

GoPro Hero 4 Black, latest firmware
App 2.3.0 (I couldn’t find any later version in the App store, I even uninstalled and re-installed the App, still same version)
Solo 2.4.0
Autopilot 2.0.20
Gimbal 1.3.6
Controller 2.4.0
Controller firmware 1.2.11

Please advise what to do.

Thanks,
Pjotr

Sometimes the settings hang up after an upgrade. To clear/reset them, try switching to a different camera in the app and then switch back to the H4B.

I was having the same problem with my Nexus 7 (2013). I found that if I closed and restarted the Solo app while leaving everything else running, the video returned.
Using H4S, 1080/30/medium.

Thanks, gentlemen, for your kind suggestions.
I tried them all, still no difference...
Tried disconnecting the HDMI connector of the Gimbal to the GoPro, no error message or anything, same black image.
So it is as if no signal is transferred from the GoPro to the Gimbal/Solo.
So it could be the GoPro. But then again, before the firmware upgrade everything worked fine....

Thanks, gentlemen, for your kind suggestions.
I tried them all, still no difference...
Tried disconnecting the HDMI connector of the Gimbal to the GoPro, no error message or anything, same black image.
So it is as if no signal is transferred from the GoPro to the Gimbal/Solo.
So it could be the GoPro. But then again, before the firmware upgrade everything worked fine....

i am having the same issue. everything after the last big update. everything always worked great. now no live feed. everything else seems fine.

tried the factory reset (which i have done before) and i dont think i can get the solo to show it has reset. controller reset fine, but solo doesnt appear to do anything.

not to hijack your thread. my apologies. factory worked. same issue. no signal. i give up

AA. Have u tried re-installing Black4 firmware ?
Try that first.

BB. If still no improvement. Change camera setting in Apps to Silver4, even you are on Black4, after you turn off Solo & controller and power both up........change camera to silver4 in the Apps. Still no improvement probably at this stage.
Now select camera in Apps as Black4, then u turn off the Controller and the Solo and removed Solo battery for say 5 minutes or so.
Then power up Solo + controller and see how it goes ?

Why I am asking you to do BB, which sound kinda stupid is because I had "almost" the same problem....almost.
I tried using Silver4 after Solo & controller updated to 2.4.0 ( I last flew with Silver4 ) , while my android is still on 2.3.0. My Silver4 froze and surely I do not get video feed to Apps. I am thinking that since your Android is still on 2.3.0 and and Solo + controller is already 2.4.0, what I suggest in BB may force Solo to recognize your camera is Black4. Worth a try. Who knows.

I tried an HDMI cable from the GoPro to my TV, that one did show the image.
Then the HDMI cable from the controller to the TV, it just shows the 3DR logo....
Tried the above suggestions of switching to a Silver Edition and back after reboot, no image.
Will try factory reset now.

Did a complete factory reset. Same situation back again.... Still no image...
All software versions are the same as before.
When I start Fly Solo, the waiting circle makes a part circle, then the image shows black :(
Getting pretty desperate now....

I took off the gimbal and connected the GoPro directly to the HDMI cable, then I did get an image.
So the Gimbal started malfunctioning after the firmware upgrade....

I took off the gimbal and connected the GoPro directly to the HDMI cable, then I did get an image.
So the Gimbal started malfunctioning after the firmware upgrade....

When I first own the Solo, I had to remove the gimbal when doing update and then re-install the gimbal, then all work OK.
This is about Solo not recognizing the gimbal.

Video feed from GoPro is thru HDMI as far as I know, it has nothing to do with the gimbal. The connection at the gimbal to GoPro back expansion port is for other works and it is not HD out it is standard definition out, so keep that in mind that HDMI is the only HD feed to Solo and then to controller which is 720 HD.

I did a factory reset again, to try to downgrade the gimbal again to a previous firmware version.
Then removed it like you suggested, then did the upgrade again, reconnected the gimbal, but bad luck, the gimbal firmware wasn't downgraded and I still have a black image....
No I am really getting desperate as tomorrow I am leaving on a 2-week trip where I need to use the Solo....
Any idea how to downgrade the gimbal firmware?

I got my camera view back by pushing the HDMI cable much stronger into the GoPro than I did before.
So it could be completely unrelated to the firmware upgrade, or it could be that the new firmware made the video processor more sensitive to video input.
Anyway, I made many hours of video now during my 2-week holiday to Scotland, very happy to have it all working again.
Thanks everybody for the hints & tips.

I got my camera view back by pushing the HDMI cable much stronger into the GoPro than I did before.
So it could be completely unrelated to the firmware upgrade, or it could be that the new firmware made the video processor more sensitive to video input.
Anyway, I made many hours of video now during my 2-week holiday to Scotland, very happy to have it all working again.
Thanks everybody for the hints & tips.

I am having this same problem and 3DR is saying it is a bad gimbal. Is yours still doing ok.... I have all gimbal and camera controls, I can adjust the gimbal and activate the camera. I just can not see where I am flying or what I am catching on video.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44