No cached satellite Mapbox maps

Reaction score
I have tried repeatedly to download the mapbox maps so I will have an area of maps offline.

The even though I download with satellite maps showing the map displays only in road mode. I have done this on 3 different Android devices 2 on 6.0.1 and one on 4.4.4.

On the Solo app I do not see any way to switch between road and satellite mode.

Anyone been able to get this function working?

Ron

make sure you have internet first, then open the solo app and swipe to the maps view. after a few seconds the map should center on you and the sat images should start downloading.

to cache you just need to press the download button, pan and zoom the area you want to cache and then click on the banner at the bottom.

you can't switch between standard and sat view. if map tiles are available, the map will be display sat view, if not you get standard.

Has someone figured out how to get Sat or Hybrid view to save and then reload at a remote site without connection.

In spite of several attempt with my Nexus 7, all I get is a street view which is not much help at times.

I use the iOS version on a iPad mini, but I found that you need to select the satellite view on the flight planner on the home screen, zoom in & out around your area, and then with the drone connect via Solo link to the controller then the satellite maps are displayed. If the drone is not connected the map is the standard view. Currently there is no option to set the filter display type in FLY mode.

Be safe..............

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am wondering about the same as Greg above does. Can I download the area I will be flying at earlier and the go out to the place and fly? The location is about 20 miles away from my home where I want to download, since at the place of flying there is no mobile connection most of the time. Is it saved even though the device is turned off during the travel to the flying site? Cache usually means it will stay in memory only when the device stays lowered on.
I will try soon but until then it would be interesting if someone could supply his experience on that issue.
Regards Gil

You can save the maps, on mine I have to go into flight planning and change the filter setting to satellite before going to the fly solo part of the app.
If I do this to save the maps and before I fly I get satellite images on my iPad mini2

The download function for caching maps works only on Android when you choose map box as map tile provider (settings), on iOS the caching is done automatically (supposing that you have enough memory) going on the map to the location where you will fly. All this is explained on the 3DR Solo manual on pages 43-44. That said I have the same problem of bikeandsail. I think that franknitty69 is right...

Hi Steve K,
did you solve the problem ? I have the same

Just as another data point on this issue: The download maps function only works with Mapbox activated, and mapbox does not have the capability of using satellite maps. So as of right now, no offline satellite maps using the 3DR solo app are possible.

I would recommend trying Solex if you really need this, but it has it's own crippling bugs involving the map view. That being said, I think it's being worked on and should be good to go at some point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo