Offline map question

Reaction score
Plan to fly in a pretty remote area later this week and would like to make sure I understand how offline maps work with Solo. My Galaxy Tab S2 does have data but as there not be any connection at this site if I go ahead and download that area with Google Maps as an offline map, will I be able to view satellite maps at this remote site in the Solo app?

I believe solo already uses Google maps. So that chance of getting it to work offline would be good. How to do so? I have no idea.
But I'd like to find out myself as well.

I believe solo already uses Google maps. So that chance of getting it to work offline would be good. How to do so? I have no idea.
But I'd like to find out myself as well.

Right-- using Google is an option in the Solo app. I've done a lot of searches but mostly what I'm finding seems to be quite old and I can't figure out how it all works given the latest (last) version of the Solo app. Whether the app will just "see" any offline areas downloaded from the Google Maps site or whether there's something else that needs to be done. Hopefully someone will clue me in!

Timzee, I don't remember how to download google maps for offline use but you can "Google) it.

Just center the map so you can see the area where you want to fly and download it. When you actually get there, it will be available just like it is when your at home.

The following worked for me; I'm using the Android version app. Make sure you're connected to the internet and open the solo app. Go into settings and scroll all the way down to the bottom until you see an option that says Map Tile Provider then select Map Box instead of Google. Now back out of settings and click the fly solo button. Make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi or cellular so that you'll be able to view the map area you want to save.

Swipe from left to right to get the map view. You now should see a down arrow on the right side of your map which will allow you to download that map to your cache. Resize the map area to view the area that you'll be flying and click the download Arrow. You can do this multiple times to make sure that you get all the areas where you will be flying. You may also need to zoom in a little bit if you select an area too large it won't be able to save it all. Once you've done that go to the area you want to fly and the app will use the cached map data that you saved versus a live Google Map feed.

Thanks for the tutorial. I've had a lot of problems trying to get the map to show up while in the field. All I ever see is the tiling that you get when the map is zoomed in too far. I'll try what you've written and see if I have any more luck. One question. If you have more than one map downloaded, how does Solo know which map to use? Based on GPS?

Thanks for the tutorial. I've had a lot of problems trying to get the map to show up while in the field. All I ever see is the tiling that you get when the map is zoomed in too far. I'll try what you've written and see if I have any more luck. One question. If you have more than one map downloaded, how does Solo know which map to use? Based on GPS?
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to how it keeps track of downloaded maps. I assume the app is using the same logic as Google maps for its downloaded maps. Try searching "how does google maps keep track of downloaded Map data". Hope it works for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc