New Tower Tutorial

Reaction score
I finally got around to making a tower tutorial. Its far from a complete guide but I did share everything I know and have tested. It includes the ever elusive method of actually putting Solo into autonomous mode which even the 3DR tower video skips. I also discuss region of interest, circle, and parameter changes. Its pretty long - 50 minutes so you might want to get some coffee before listening to me mumble for that long. Anyway, hope it helps someone out. Advanced tower users need not apply. Targeted at beginners.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i for one really appreciate you taking the time... i'm taking notes on everything i'm learning - plan on putting up a few films with all my experiences with the various apps and how i'm using them.

Reactions: Ivanh
Nug,

Thanks so very much! I don't have time right now to watch the entire thing but I'm really looking forward to learning from your experience!

Jerry

Thanks for taking the time to put this together! I haven't seen the entire video but it looks very informative.

I'm going to recommend you get a pay raise immediately.:D

Nicely done Nuggetz! That is sure to help many get started with Tower. The one thing that I might add, and it's just a safety procedure that I do, is that after you finalize you mission and upload it to Solo; just before you go to the Filght Data screen to arm and take off, Download the mission from Solo. This confirms that you and Solo are talking about the same mission to be flown. If you flew a mission yesterday across town and configure a new mission today, it's nice to know that you did not forget to upload the new one or that there was no problem with the upload of today's mission.

Reactions: Maddog
Agreed. Though I didn't say to do exactly that every time I did show and explain that very point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for making this video tutorial. I always knew that Tower was going to be the program that would make solo a better UAV.
So, about how far can this bird go & return in about 15min. Of battery? 6 miles total?

I finally got around to making a tower tutorial. Its far from a complete guide but I did share everything I know and have tested. It includes the ever elusive method of actually putting Solo into autonomous mode which even the 3DR tower video skips. I also discuss region of interest, circle, and parameter changes. Its pretty long - 50 minutes so you might want to get some coffee before listening to me mumble for that long. Anyway, hope it helps someone out. Advanced tower users need not apply. Targeted at beginners.

That's great Nug. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Thank you very much for making this video tutorial. I always knew that Tower was going to be the program that would make solo a better UAV.
So, about how far can this bird go & return in about 15min. Of battery? 6 miles total?
Only one way to find out, thanks for volunteering....;)

I finally got around to making a tower tutorial.

Wow, thanks so much for doing this. I've been playing with Tower with my little 250 quad, but haven't worked up the nerve to send the Solo out on it's own. I knew the basics, but picked up a lot of tips from this video.

The way I tested it with my 250 was to go to an open field, create a big loop and send the quad around it until the battery died. Tower will indicate the distance of the loop when you drop the waypoints, and the flight data screen will show the speed as it flies. with that information, you can work out roughly how far you can fly at a given speed. Just monitor the battery and when it gets too low for you, take it out of auto mode and RTL.

My little 250 will do about a mile and a half at 35mph, so I've been sticking to under a mile one way, or 1/2 mile round trip, leaving some headroom for winds and the ascent/landing time. I've been delivering lollipops to my son when he's at a local playground!

Only one way to find out, thanks for volunteering....;)
Rich, why do I feel you have a good idea what the answer is [emoji12] already.

My dad used to say "Live & learn"

Actually, to get a good idea, I must do it.

Different sea levels, temps, weather, Ect. can effect out come.
Thinking, a one-way trip 3 times, with me following/monitoring should do it.
test once @16mph then another set of 3 @33mph

Will the pause key stop the program so I can land it when ready?

May try this weekend?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My dad used to say "Live & learn"

Actually, to get a good idea, I must do it.

Dad sounds like a good guy, taught you well.

I think the important thing is to document condition of the air space. You'll then establish a benchmark for future flights. Look forward to hearing of your experiences.

Me, some of the Tower examples I set up were limited to 12 minute flight time at the default speed set by Tower. Twelve minute flights provides a benchmark for battery capacity, but allows a what-if reserve. Once returned the remaining battery percentage will determine shorter or longer flights into the future.

Being that I'm still in shakedown mode with my bird, the longest adventure to date is about 1000'. I'm anxious to fly a full auto mission over a 20 acre pasture, using various trees as the targets for ROI. The fire ant rings are a great sat image reference as well...they are well established. Come on motor pods......

Nuggetz, great job on this video. Can't wait for more. I'm sure 3DR will place a link to it from their site.

Which Tower software version are you using? I have 3.2 loaded on my Nexus 7 but it does not appear to have the scribe pen nor some of the other icons on the top of the screen.
Very helpful video. Thank you.

The pen was part of the app I used to make the video. Running latest version that's currently on the play store. Version 3.2.0. The buttons change depending on what screen you're in. I was mainly in the editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished watching this today and it's a huge help! Thanks again for putting this together.

Now I gotta find a cheap Nexus 7.:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo