New Tower Tutorial

I finally got around to making a tower tutorial. Its far from a complete guide but I did share everything I know and have tested. It includes the ever elusive method of actually putting Solo into autonomous mode which even the 3DR tower video skips. I also discuss region of interest, circle, and parameter changes. Its pretty long - 50 minutes so you might want to get some coffee before listening to me mumble for that long. Anyway, hope it helps someone out. Advanced tower users need not apply. Targeted at beginners.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is a great tutorial. There are so many subtle nuances in the way things run. Despite how great the Tower app is designed, there are certain things that could be improved on the UI side to make it more obvious. For example, I didn't know until your video that the altitude setting in the Region of Interest way point was for the camera itself and not the actual altitude. That wasn't clear at all if a beginner like me were to use the Tower app.

That's your tablet/iPhone running tower

Sorry Nuggetz, but I don't understand your reply. The blue spot seems to float around a bit, i.e. not very stable, but is it a home/location point generated by my tablet gps outside of the Tower App?

Mine does that too. It bounces around a bit depending on how good the gps signal is to your phone/tablet. The home position of the Solo is represented by the yellow home icon. Unless you're using a follow me mode that relies on the position of your tablet then don't pay too much attention to that blue dot as it doesn't really affect the normal Tower functions.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Sorry Nuggetz, but I don't understand your reply. The blue spot seems to float around a bit, i.e. not very stable, but is it a home/location point generated by my tablet gps outside of the Tower App?

I think that's what nuggetz meant. The arrow would be your Solo and the blue dot with the white circle would be where you are with your GPS enabled tablet/phone. It is not a return to landing point.

The reason why it's there is because you have the option in Tower to have Solo return to your current position (blue dot with white circle) instead of the launch location. It's also a crude augmented reality way point if you look at this way. :p

Hope it clears up the confusion!

Does the MNT_DEFLT_MODE: need to be changed with the Solo to select between manual and automatic control of the gimbal pitch when flying a mission like it does with other craft.

I think that's what nuggetz meant. The arrow would be your Solo and the blue dot with the white circle would be where you are with your GPS enabled tablet/phone. It is not a return to landing point.

The reason why it's there is because you have the option in Tower to have Solo return to your current position (blue dot with white circle) instead of the launch location. It's also a crude augmented reality way point if you look at this way. :p

Hope it clears up the confusion!

Thanks Tamji, between you and Nuggetz, I understand now.
Just to clarify, I'm not using Solo, I wish, my application is much simpler. I am using an APM 2.5 flight controller running the Rover Firmware to auto steer a boat (servo operated rudder) to a waypoint set on my tablet using the Tower App. The project is in its infancy but looks good on a test bed set up.
For those who are interested, the tablet I am using is an Acer A3-A10 entry level price.

Reactions: J R
I got a question do I need the remote range in order to complete a mission? How can I complete a mission when its more then .5 milles

Thanks

I finally got around to making a tower tutorial. Its far from a complete guide but I did share everything I know and have tested. It includes the ever elusive method of actually putting Solo into autonomous mode which even the 3DR tower video skips. I also discuss region of interest, circle, and parameter changes. Its pretty long - 50 minutes so you might want to get some coffee before listening to me mumble for that long. Anyway, hope it helps someone out. Advanced tower users need not apply. Targeted at beginners.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hey nuggetz - Really learned a lot about "TOWER" by watching your tutorial. Thanks for your efforts! - Hoping that there are more tutorials posted - QUESTION: Recently ran across " FLYLITCHI.COM " " & TABED: " MISSION HUB " . Just wondering just what your thoughts are ? - Not sure if compatible with "SOLO" -BUT- This site is good for checking out "NEW" locations to fly - Seems that others are posting flights & waypoints . Also: I think Site in better that "GOOGLE MAPS".

I got a question do I need the remote range in order to complete a mission? How can I complete a mission when its more then .5 milles

Thanks

There is a parameter in Mission Planner (and I assume you have access to it in Tower) that you can tell the copter to continue the mission in the event you lose contact with the controller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo