New Tower Tutorial

The pen was part of the app I used to make the video. Running latest version that's currently on the play store. Version 3.2.0. The buttons change depending on what screen you're in. I was mainly in the editor.

Curious, which recorder app did you use? I'd looked at several this week and deleted all due to the ad pop-ups taking over. Couldn't get past the ads to "feel" the app enough to buy the "pro" version.

I agree. Most of the screen recording applications for non rooted devices are a joke. They are riddled with pop ups and ads and aren't worth your while. The one I finally landed on that appears to have everything I need is called EZ screen recorder. I ponied up for the premium version as it takes away the ads and lets you record more than 30 seconds.

I think it was $3. Get it here. AZ Screen Recorder - No Root - Android Apps on Google Play

Reactions: RichWest
I agree. Most of the screen recording applications for non rooted devices are a joke. They are riddled with pop ups and ads and aren't worth your while. The one I finally landed on that appears to have everything I need is called EZ screen recorder. I ponied up for the premium version as it takes away the ads and lets you record more than 30 seconds.

I think it was $3. Get it here. AZ Screen Recorder - No Root - Android Apps on Google Play
Ouch- highway robbery! o_O

Reactions: RichWest
There was one app I tried that had just about no features other than recording the screen and they wasted 10 bucks. I think for what this app does, 3 bucks is a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got around to making a tower tutorial. Its far from a complete guide but I did share everything I know and have tested. It includes the ever elusive method of actually putting Solo into autonomous mode which even the 3DR tower video skips. I also discuss region of interest, circle, and parameter changes. Its pretty long - 50 minutes so you might want to get some coffee before listening to me mumble for that long. Anyway, hope it helps someone out. Advanced tower users need not apply. Targeted at beginners.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Good Job Joey. Much thanks for this work.

Awesome, thanks so much for making this it is exactly what i am looking at getting into with my Solo right now. Your timing is perfect.

nuggetz, this is the procedure I've been using to pull maps from mission planner into tower.

Offline maps with DroidPlanner / 3DR Tower

It's worked quite well. but I am looking for a simpler way with the Android device itself. Like using Tower with you home WiFi and saving the maps before you go off the grid. If you know of a way I'd love to see it.

Again great Tower Tutorial!

I finally got around to making a tower tutorial. Its far from a complete guide but I did share everything I know and have tested. It includes the ever elusive method of actually putting Solo into autonomous mode which even the 3DR tower video skips. I also discuss region of interest, circle, and parameter changes. Its pretty long - 50 minutes so you might want to get some coffee before listening to me mumble for that long. Anyway, hope it helps someone out. Advanced tower users need not apply. Targeted at beginners.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks, I will check it out tonight.

nuggetz, this is the procedure I've been using to pull maps from mission planner into tower.

Offline maps with DroidPlanner / 3DR Tower

It's worked quite well. but I am looking for a simpler way with the Android device itself. Like using Tower with you home WiFi and saving the maps before you go off the grid. If you know of a way I'd love to see it.

Again great Tower Tutorial!

I have found a way that may be quicker; YMMV.

Using either Tower of DP while at home connected by WiFi on my Nexus 7 I just plan a simple waypoint mission in the area(s) I plan to fly in. I zoom in to a level beyond what I need and save the mission. When I get to the site I find that the area saved is plenty enough larger than the saved mission and I can then either plan a new mission or modify the one I had made at home.

I can also plan pre-plan at home in MP and save to quad then download that mission back to Tower while connect to Wifi and again have the map saved.

Either of these seem a little easier to me than prefetching and moving files.

Reactions: Maddog
I have found a way that may be quicker; YMMV.

Using either Tower of DP while at home connected by WiFi on my Nexus 7 I just plan a simple waypoint mission in the area(s) I plan to fly in. I zoom in to a level beyond what I need and save the mission. When I get to the site I find that the area saved is plenty enough larger than the saved mission and I can then either plan a new mission or modify the one I had made at home.

I can also plan pre-plan at home in MP and save to quad then download that mission back to Tower while connect to Wifi and again have the map saved.

Either of these seem a little easier to me than prefetching and moving files.
Do like tower or MP better for mission planning in advance?

Do like tower or MP better for mission planning in advance?

MP has more options and is much easier on a large monitor at home with mouse to get waypoints in just the right spot. Very seldom use Tower for mission planning unless it is a fairly simple mission.

With 30 waypoints for instance Mp is just faster and more precise.

Reactions: Maddog and RichWest
MP has more options and is much easier on a large monitor at home with mouse to get waypoints in just the right spot. Very seldom use Tower for mission planning unless it is a fairly simple mission.

With 30 waypoints for instance Mp is just faster and more precise.
Ok, thanks!

so in a mission, where is speed set?
does it use the turtle rabbit settings in solo performance app, or do you have to designate flight speed in tower?

It appears we have two methods for setting initial mission speeds. Both will

From the Solo App, you adjust the overall performance in the settings. Like you said Turtle to Rabbit speed. So if your setting is on Rabbit get ready for the ride of your life, scalded ape type of stuff.... Further if you set a WP in Tower to Change Speed and your setting is Rabbit, nothing is going to change...still full speed. If changing the app settings is your method for speed adjustment it would make sense to set speed to turtle. You should then be able to increase speed within a mission WP by invoking a Change_Speed.

Haven't done the following just yet, but it makes the best sense to have set if running missions. It disregards your settings above, as this is a WP Navigation setting...so it establishes the default speed for WP mission speed only. See this...Solo V1.2 release | Page 7 | 3D Robotics Drone Forum Maybe @Jubalr can chime in further to provide a workable setting for WPNAV_Speed.

Reactions: Maddog
It appears we have two methods for setting initial mission speeds. Both will

From the Solo App, you adjust the overall performance in the settings. Like you said Turtle to Rabbit speed. So if your setting is on Rabbit get ready for the ride of your life, scalded ape type of stuff.... Further if you set a WP in Tower to Change Speed and your setting is Rabbit, nothing is going to change...still full speed. If changing the app settings is your method for speed adjustment it would make sense to set speed to turtle. You should then be able to increase speed within a mission WP by invoking a Change_Speed.

Haven't done the following just yet, but it makes the best sense to have set if running missions. It disregards your settings above, as this is a WP Navigation setting...so it establishes the default speed for WP mission speed only. See this...Solo V1.2 release | Page 7 | 3D Robotics Drone Forum Maybe @Jubalr can chime in further to provide a workable setting for WPNAV_Speed.
Thanks!

Rich I was thinking the same. Set slider to turtle then specify the speed you want in Tower. However, I think that if you happen to have you speed set at "Rabbit" why wouldn't Tower still work? I wouldn't think that setting a speed from a faster one to a slower one would be any different that going from slower to faster.

I wonder if the turtle/rabbit slider controls WPNAV_LOIT_SPEED? Wonder how it differs from WPNAV_SPEED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rich I was thinking the same. Set slider to turtle then specify the speed you want in Tower. However, I think that if you happen to have you speed set at "Rabbit" why wouldn't Tower still work? I wouldn't think that setting a speed from a faster one to a slower one would be any different that going from slower to faster.

I wonder if the turtle/rabbit slider controls WPNAV_LOIT_SPEED? Wonder how it differs from WPNAV_SPEED.

Well from my experience, setting a WP Change-Speed setting did nothing as I was on Rabbit. So I assume the variable is set based on the baseline speed within the Solo app. Couldn't find a negative speed setting in Tower.....I looked.

You should be able to see the various parameters changed from within Tower. Make a change in the Solo app GUI controls and then return to Tower's Parameter screen to ID what changed...should be able to narrow down.

WPNAV Loiter speed I believe implies time delay at each WP...my assumption.

Actually, the two parameters almost say the same thing except one is for loiter. So I'm thinking since under normal conditions, Solo is always in Loiter mode. Good idea about checking params. Will figure this out. Time to do some testing.

With regard to your test, maybe you didn't set speed low enough to notice? Seems that the speed setting should always have some type of impact unless what you set is very close to where you're already at.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela