New Tower Tutorial

Well from my experience, setting a WP Change-Speed setting did nothing as I was on Rabbit. So I assume the variable is set based on the baseline speed within the Solo app. Couldn't find a negative speed setting in Tower.....I looked.

You should be able to see the various parameters changed from within Tower. Make a change in the Solo app GUI controls and then return to Tower's Parameter screen to ID what changed...should be able to narrow down.

WPNAV Loiter speed I believe implies time delay at each WP...my assumption.
Here is the definition of the WPNAV settings. I have not tried to go in and set WP nav speed as I can usually find something suitable by using the slider:
Waypoint Descent Speed Target (WPNAV_SPEED_DN)
Defines the speed in cm/s which the aircraft will attempt to maintain while descending during a WP mission

• Range: 0 500
  • Increment: 10
  • Units: cm/s
Loiter Horizontal Maximum Speed (WPNAV_LOIT_SPEED)
Defines the maximum speed in cm/s which the aircraft will travel horizontally while in loiter mode

• Range: 0 2000
  • Increment: 50
Waypoint Acceleration (WPNAV_ACCEL)
Defines the horizontal acceleration in cm/s/s used during missions

• Range: 50 500
  • Units: cm/s/s
Waypoint Vertical Acceleration (WPNAV_ACCEL_Z)
Defines the vertical acceleration in cm/s/s used during missions

• Range: 50 500
  • Units: cm/s/s

Reactions: RichWest
Just tested it. Looks like changing that slider to turtle actually changes BOTH WPNAV parameters. Setting to turtle sets WPNAV_SPEED and WPNAV_LOT_SPEED to 500. Wonder why they both change. Would like to see if the change speed slider in Tower affects one or the other or both. But that would require downloading params while Solo is executing a mission.

Last edited:
Right, maybe I didn't notice...a speed change, it was set to 2.0. I should upload the video of the short track race I witnessed from the ground. When it started I thought to look at the ground under to make sure no one was within the impact zone. Tower was only able to utter, waypoint, waypoint, waypoint....it was moving so fast. Live and learn.

Interesting glitch in Tower WP Change_Speed. When you long-click on speed, you can edit the speed by typing a number. The glitch, 2.0 on the GUI side came up as 20 when typed. So you'd assume typing 10 would result in 1.0, not the case it ended up as 10.0 on the GUI side....

Interesting. Well for me I would assume typing in 10 would give me 10 and not 1.0.

Regarding the 2 parameters, after reading the descriptions again, I think WPNAV_LOIT_SPEED is a Maximum value. So maybe that explains why both change when fiddling with the performance slider in the Solo app.

Waypoint Horizontal Speed Target (WPNAV_SPEED)
Defines the speed in cm/s which the aircraft will attempt to maintain horizontally during a WP mission

Loiter Horizontal Maximum Speed (WPNAV_LOIT_SPEED)
Defines the maximum speed in cm/s which the aircraft will travel horizontally while in loiter mode

Interesting glitch in Tower WP Change_Speed. When you long-click on speed, you can edit the speed by typing a number. The glitch, 2.0 on the GUI side came up as 20 when typed. So you'd assume typing 10 would result in 1.0, not the case it ended up as 10.0 on the GUI side....

I just tested this in Tower Beta 3.2.1 beta 1 and it doesn't happen there. You're allowed to enter decimals and they round up to the correct number. Still cant enter something like 2.7.

Last edited:
I just tested this in Tower Beta 3.2.1 beta 1 and it doesn't happen there. You're allowed to enter decimals and they round up to the correct number. Still cant enter something like 2.7.
Good to know...beta is corrected.

I'm on the Tower 3.2.0 and it still doesn't allow decimal input when typed...look forward to RC with improvements...noted.

OK you guys are way over my head, does the solo performance slider control mission speed or not, if not how do we set it to turtle?

OK you guys are way over my head, does the solo performance slider control mission speed or not, if not how do we set it to turtle?
I can't say with 100% certainty what effect the set speed box within tower will have when a certain speed is set within the solo app but if you set solo performance to rabbit for example your missions will be blistering fast unless you adjust the speed within tower. In order to change this within the solo app you have to first connect to the solo Wi-Fi and then open up the solo app and click Options/settings then select Solo then within that there should be a performance section where you can find a slider to select between turtle and rabbit. You can also select the rate in which solo rotates with the left stick. Like I said your controller and solo need to be powered on and you have to have your tablet connected to the Wi-Fi network

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

There is no no gimbal control when you start your mission so all points of interest that are not directly in the forward facing direction of the mission need to be set up in the mission via a waypoint.

Very helpful.
Do you have steps of initial setup of tower app and Solo with GoPro?

Very helpful.
Do you have steps of initial setup of tower app and Solo with GoPro?

In what regard? Assuming you have Solo mounted in the Gimbal you can control the Gimbal using the video preview window in Tower. Also, there should be a button overlay on the video in window in Tower to stop and start recording. You can also stop and start recording by using the Solo controller by clicking in the left paddle button that controls the gimbal.

Has anyone noticed that while flying with Tower, the Solo seems to fly more crudely. When in the Solo App, it takes off smooth, hovers smooth, and slips around like butter. In Tower, from takeoff to landing, whether in a planned mission, or in Loiter, it seems crude, almost like the ESCs can't decide who's in charge. The gimbal seems to overcome the crudeness but it just doesn't seem right. In fact, it is so crude that on the second time I tried it, the Solo took off and skipped sideways about 8 feet before I could get in shut down.

I tried Spline one time but it has honestly been a while and I don't recall the difference. Should it be different? Have you had the same experience?

Has anyone noticed that while flying with Tower, the Solo seems to fly more crudely. When in the Solo App, it takes off smooth, hovers smooth, and slips around like butter. In Tower, from takeoff to landing, whether in a planned mission, or in Loiter, it seems crude, almost like the ESCs can't decide who's in charge. The gimbal seems to overcome the crudeness but it just doesn't seem right. In fact, it is so crude that on the second time I tried it, the Solo took off and skipped sideways about 8 feet before I could get in shut down.
What performance settings do have your Solo set to? I am told if you set to Tortoise for both performance and yaw it will be smoother, less crude...

Can someone please tell me what the blue spot in the white circle represents. The one near the vehicle position.Screenshot_2016-04-22-16-11-35.png

That's your tablet/iPhone running tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig