New Long Range antenna for SOLO

Well buy some adapters already.... why you want us to try if you got 100 of them
its a resort property bro every item listed in inventory (very strict) honestly i not yet own a solo maybe next 3 months to buy.

I just put on the DBS mod antennas to test out I have been using the alpha antennas. I fly in a field with a hill about 400m from where I take off and was flying with the alpha antennas pointed directly at the solo to 1300m out before it would RTL. With the DBS mod I fly the same field and get to 900m out however the video quality is much better. I'll probably be sticking with the Alpha antennas.

I just put on the DBS mod antennas to test out I have been using the alpha antennas. I fly in a field with a hill about 400m from where I take off and was flying with the alpha antennas pointed directly at the solo to 1300m out before it would RTL. With the DBS mod I fly the same field and get to 900m out however the video quality is much better. I'll probably be sticking with the Alpha antennas.

Ouch...is the improved video enough to justify the extra cost? Hoping I do not experience the same thing with the FLPVR. However I'm only flying with one alfa and getting 1 mile with no RTL. I don't expect a huge improvement but the 3 miles unamped is what sold me on the FLPVR.

The WIFI interference is playing a big role in these different distances. I'm really surprised that some are only getting out 500' before RTL.

You would think that distance and video quality should somewhat go hand and hand.

I know I went about 2.1 miles one day and could not get past 1.3 to 1.5 the next. Conditions change so might want to try them back and forth in same field a couple times on the same day.

Also try going slow the last part part. If I am pitching the Solo it never did do well. Try to keep it flat :)

Thanks for the info @Justin

test.jpg
Just a idea from my Moon Raker days "CB/Ham Radios"
To knock out interference 95%?, must go with a directional ant. Connection from Controller to WIFI router min. Gimbal on Ant. to track drone.

Don't flame me, i'm sure it won't work. Bad idea?

My DBSMods antenna should be in today or tomorrow. I had asked for the Solo mod on it which is black paint and a bracket for the controller.
Finally got tired of waiting and emailed him since it has been over a week. He told me he had decided not to do the Solo mods for people because the paint he was using was flaking off and emailed everyone about it.....except me!
He put the antenna in the mail on Monday...;)

View attachment 615
Just a idea from my Moon Raker days "CB/Ham Radios"
To knock out interference 95%?, must go with a directional ant. Connection from Controller to WIFI router min. Gimbal on Ant. to track drone.

Don't flame me, i'm sure it won't work. Bad idea?

LOL, so Moonraker 4 or Moonraker 6?

Actually, there is a guy that has a setup to do similar. You will find him on the Phantom forums. Look for Redbird.

He even has a setup for a second drone where you use the elevation of a helper drone to repeat to the main one.

Reactions: SteveReno
I know I went about 2.1 miles one day and could not get past 1.3 to 1.5 the next. Conditions change so might want to try them back and forth in same field a couple times on the same day.

@rrmccabe What's the biggest factor in conditions and how they affect your range? Humidity? Barometric pressure? Your talking like .75 miles in difference from day to day in the same spot. I'm assuming you flown in the same spot.

I've noticed the same but not as drastic.

LOL, so Moonraker 4 or Moonraker 6?

Actually, there is a guy that has a setup to do similar. You will find him on the Phantom forums. Look for Redbird.

He even has a setup for a second drone where you use the elevation of a helper drone to repeat to the main one.
Finally got mine. Took it for a test run. Went out 2500' and chickened out. Still showed a bar on the signal strength.
Need to figure out a way to mount it so it will be easy on, easy off.

Too damn hot down here to be out flying!

@rrmccabe What's the biggest factor in conditions and how they affect your range? Humidity? Barometric pressure? Your talking like .75 miles in difference from day to day in the same spot. I'm assuming you flown in the same spot.

I've noticed the same but not as drastic.

Well normally humidity but it SEEMS to me the solo is really sensitive to pitch. So if you are rocking into the wind or just using a lot of pitch to make speed it will RTH. I can go over 1/4 mile further easy by slowing down and keeping the aircraft level.

I have been watching it FPV many times and watched it thrash around in the wind for whatever reason and lose connectivity. Slow and steady is best.

Finally got mine. Took it for a test run. Went out 2500' and chickened out. Still showed a bar on the signal strength.

Excellent. Keep playing. That is what RTH is for :)

I used some velcro, not the traditional type that makes the tearing sound, but the type with the plastic hook ends. I put a piece on the back of the controller that the phone/tablet holder screws to. On the DBS antenna I put the velcro where the 2 small screws stick out to connect to the bracket. I didn't grind off the screws and it still sticks with no issues. Its a quick on/off solution that was cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_20150807_195358.jpg
    IMG_20150807_195358.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20150807_195505.jpg
    IMG_20150807_195505.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20150807_195603.jpg
    IMG_20150807_195603.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Raybro
I see how he don't offer the black version anymore. I am going to order one even still but I was just wondering if anyone has tried plastidip to paint it black?

I used this Insignia Cell Phone mount from Best Buy. No modification necessary. The part that normally suctions to the windshield suctioned to the bottom of the Solo Controller. It held surprisingly tight. I could carry the controller around by holding the mount. Plus it allowed me to adjust the orientation and angle of the antenna.

20150804_175547.jpg 20150804_175223.jpg 20150804_175234.jpg 20150804_175343.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...lack/3619008.p?id=1219092478377&skuId=3619008

Reactions: Russ Knight
I painted mine with plastic paint. Wiped with goof off first to prep the plastic. I am sure dragging across concrete will not work but mine seemed ok.

Reactions: Raybro and prowler9
I used this Insignia Cell Phone mount from Best Buy. No modification necessary. The part that normally suctions to the windshield suctioned to the bottom of the Solo Controller. It held surprisingly tight. I could carry the controller around by holding the mount. Plus it allowed me to adjust the orientation and angle of the antenna.

View attachment 620 View attachment 621 View attachment 622 View attachment 623

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...lack/3619008.p?id=1219092478377&skuId=3619008
I used some velcro, not the traditional type that makes the tearing sound, but the type with the plastic hook ends. I put a piece on the back of the controller that the phone/tablet holder screws to. On the DBS antenna I put the velcro where the 2 small screws stick out to connect to the bracket. I didn't grind off the screws and it still sticks with no issues. Its a quick on/off solution that was cheap.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Rich, that was my first thought, plastic paint, skid resistant.:D

Last edited:
FPVLR is here finally. But guess what its raining. Will test as soon as weather permits. One thing though is I know FPVLR is posting on here. Will it hurt if I take it on and off after Im done for the day flying? It will not fit in my goproffesional case with the FPVLR on it.

Attachments

• 20150808_121838741_iOS.jpg
    20150808_121838741_iOS.jpg
    945.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20150808_123059767_iOS.jpg
    20150808_123059767_iOS.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20150808_123102885_iOS.jpg
    20150808_123102885_iOS.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20150808_123110170_iOS.jpg
    20150808_123110170_iOS.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20150808_123121506_iOS.jpg
    20150808_123121506_iOS.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20150808_123124761_iOS.jpg
    20150808_123124761_iOS.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 58
FPVLR is here finally. But guess what its raining. Will test as soon as weather permits. One thing though is I know FPVLR is posting on here. Will it hurt if I take it on and off after Im done for the day flying? It will not fit in my goproffesional case with the FPVLR on it.
Hey Boogie, I have the same setup and GPC case. I take it on/off on each trip to fly. They are standard antenna connections and there is no harm in screwing them on/off as needed. I lay mine on top of the props on the right side.

Reactions: Boogieman
Hey Boogie, I have the same setup and GPC case. I take it on/off on each trip to fly. They are standard antenna connections and there is no harm in screwing them on/off as needed. I lay mine on top of the props on the right side.
Thank you for letting me know. I love my go case. At least it aint like the one for my inspire and p3. It weighs 80 something pounds and Im 6'3" 138 pounds!

Thank you for letting me know. I love my go case. At least it aint like the one for my inspire and p3. It weighs 80 something pounds and Im 6'3" 138 pounds!
Man, that's a heavy case! I was looking at modifying the case. It looks like with just a little material removed under the prop slot, we could leave the FPVLR on the controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44