New Long Range antenna for SOLO

David has dinner guest tonight. Cutting into his flying time. LOL

I am custom building an aluminum bracket. But will email you something

Cables screw onto the controller antenna mounts. No change to controller.

Cables screw onto the controller antenna mounts. No change to controller.
Thank you. I'm new to the RC universe and have no technical knowledge at all. It's great to be able to get advice from those who have experience and are willing to share.

I've already solved the issue of WiFi reception....

jb204n.jpg

....and not having a Gimbal...
sy8oyw.jpg

And now finishing up on the GPS issues....
2lwm790.jpg

Last edited:

jb204n.jpg

sy8oyw.jpg

2lwm790.jpg
Yep, that should work! LMAO!!!!

jb204n.jpg

sy8oyw.jpg

2lwm790.jpg
you forgot to put kepler on the RC lmaoo

Reactions: Raybro
Range test stock for me (open area, LOS, 88 deg, humid) was 1,600'+. Returned to home about 6" from where it took off.

Now looking for an antenna. I understand that an amped antenna would work better than anything else. I'm considering the FPV or DBS (non-amped), but what about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireles...sim_147_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=141TZ7AWCFHEHDWS0SKJ

It is powered by USB. I have a small USB power station that I could plug it into. I know it is more unwieldy than the others, but I'm willing to work with that. What do you pros think?

Reactions: mxsoarx
I would strongly suggest you go with one of these 2:
I'm considering the FPV or DBS (non-amped),
Proven track record, designed for the Phantom and SOLO and either will allow you to fly out so far your hand will start twitching. I got the DBS and am extremely pleased!!

Range test stock for me (open area, LOS, 88 deg, humid) was 1,600'+. Returned to home about 6" from where it took off.

Now looking for an antenna. I understand that an amped antenna would work better than anything else. I'm considering the FPV or DBS (non-amped), but what about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireles...sim_147_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=141TZ7AWCFHEHDWS0SKJ

It is powered by USB. I have a small USB power station that I could plug it into. I know it is more unwieldy than the others, but I'm willing to work with that. What do you pros think?

You don't want that. That unit has a WiFi card in it and is designed to connect to a network.Your Solo controller already has a WiFi card in it. You're looking for either a high gain antenna and/or a booster that will boost the signal of the existing WiFi card in your controller. You can go with two independent boosters or a mimo booster like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNHANS-1W-...517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ea958f65

Going to tag on to buddy Davids thread instead of starting another. I received my DBS antenna(s) today. One for Phantom 3 and one for Solo. I have not touched the Phantom yet as you need to open the controller.

However I did "rig" the solo with the antenna to fly. It comes with a P3 mount which looks like it will take minimal work to adapt to the Solo. However I am in the middle of a fence project in the backyard and dedicating time to the Solo would have been irresponsible. OK, the Mrs would have yelled at me..... Everyone already knows I am irresponsible :)

So I was half holding the antenna panel. Took off and cranked the elevation to around 400' as I pulled away. Ran it out to a little more than 12,000 (edit 11,616 ) feet and hit RTH. Probably due to the way I was half ass holding the thing. I thought about hitting fly and continuing on but I had a pile of cedar calling me so back to fence building.

I was really impressed. Did not seem nearly as finicky as the stock antennas.

So DBS in Florida. Nice job man. Cant wait to try the Phantom setup as well.

EDIT. I hit 2.2 "miles". That is actually 11,616 feet (non 12,000). Mrain Balfuntion !

Last edited:
Reactions: Adimuzio513 and edh
That be me !

Mount mod looks easy. I might get up early and tweak that so its ready to go.

Not sure what it has in it but I am happy with 12,000.

Its is not as big as I thought and very light.

Reactions: Jubalr
Will this antenna work better then replacing the WiFi card in the Solo and controller which was discussed in an early post?

That be me !

Mount mod looks easy. I might get up early and tweak that so its ready to go.

Not sure what it has in it but I am happy with 12,000.

Its is not as big as I thought and very light.
Very impressive Rich. 12k is a pretty good first test without a mount.

I can't speak for replacing the WiFi card but I will say the most efficient way to improve distance is antenna. Takes a tremendous amount of power to overcome a directional antenna.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44