New GoPros coming...

Well I would assume that scraps this gimbal of you want to use it. I would have hoped for a Hero 5 in same physical body and weight so it would fit and balance properly in the gimbal.

8k. Geez. I don't even like working with 4k.
I have a feeling Go Pros loyalty with 3DR doesn't go much further than this first Solo release version. It's no secret that Go Pros coming out with their own Quad in 2016 and they're saving their best for that no doubt.

Reactions: VideoArch
Don't doubt that. But right now I dont want to think about 8K.

When I struggle with 4k on a top of the line i7, 16 gig, SSD, good video then that means 8k is not something I want to play with. LOL
LOL... I understand. I am spoiled...

I JUST got a new Precison M4800 with I7: 2.9 GHZ and 32 GB RAM, 2GB Quadro Video, and an internal 1 TB Solid state drive, with two 1 TB USB 3 external drives. I LOVE the mobility..

It really sings... Even with with 4K...

Funny story. When I got it I was testing with 4K and it slammed all 4 cores to 100% every time I tried. On close inspection though, I wasn't getting the performance on any thing else either, 4K was just horrible, and everything else was only bad.... I was REALLY disapointed.

I stumbled on the answer when troubleshooting. If I unplugged it from the brick, the 100% processor would go to 4% instantly... Turns out it was a bad power supply, messing with the speed step, and degrading the processors...

Reactions: VideoArch
I'm not sure who cares; to shoot in 4k is already a headache, so what they've double the frame rate to 60FPS. Shooting in 8k will be like placing your head in the guillotine then dropping the hammer on your own neck.

No doubt people will run out and get it, just to say they've got it or just to say; I shot this in 8k.... Great! I can't view it in 8k sooooooooooooooooo ....

More is better here in America... Isn't it? I'm still shooting stills with a 12.3 mp camera from 2007 ... Mt goodness, 8k will kill my Mac!

I shoot underwater footage (and some aerials) for a living in 4k and currently use a Sony A7s and Atomos Shogun in Prores HQ. 2.5hrs of footage takes up 1tb.

It's commonly believed that many mid specced laptops can't handle it for editing. This is not true. Most editing platforms will allow for a proxy file to be used. Sony Vegas Pro 13 even creates one for you upon dropping the file in. Basically, what it does is create a quick low resolution copy which is what you work with while editing.... cutting, grading, etc. This allows you to see and scrub through footage more effectively. Upon rendering, the original files are then substituted. Of course you would need a reasonable amount of power to watch 4k files anyway. More ram is also a good thing.

8k video won't be for everyone. I wonder what the computer requirements would be to play it back and how compressed the footage would be given the small sensor size and the limited memory space (refer to my opening sentence about 4k Prores HQ requirements). However, for me, the most interesting thing about it would be the ability to crop and do smooth pans and zoom-ins in post while maintaining 4k resolution. What's also interesting is the ability to shoot 60fps in 4k. This is incredibly important to me as EVERYTHING looks better in slow-mo :p Right now I am limited to 30fps even on the Sony.

Here's a sample draft clip I put together from a recent dive trip to Komodo if anyone is interested. It was made for a broadcasting expo for the manufacturers. I only managed 8 dives so didn't have much to work with. It's rendered in 1080 from 4k

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
password: sonyshogun4K

Last edited:
Reactions: xtreme
Proxy File or not. What consumer (even you) wants to wait 8hrs to render 3 minutes of footage once the proxy files have been substituted with the full res file? It's a pissing contest.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Render times are where the rubber meets the road, proxies aside. Adding something like Denoiser or grading effects can really lock the workstation up for a while. Can't see a lot of use for 8K but 4K 60fps has it's appeal despite the massive render times.

Proxy File or not. What consumer (even you) wants to wait 8hrs to render 3 minutes of footage once the proxy files have been substituted with the full res file? It's a pissing contest.

On a laptop with Core i7 at 2.6 Ghz and only 16gb ram, rendering 1080p video from files that are almost 100mb per second takes only minutes for a 3 min video, and an hour for 4k high bitrate video which tops out at almost 1gb for 3 mins. If it's taking you 8 hours, you need a new computer buddy. Gopro files aren't even close to being as large.

I do agree that heavy grading and other effects can take it's toll. It's what it is if you want 4k video to go with that shiny new 4k TV.... And because 4k is about to become mainstream display wise (if it isn't already), it's nice to know that there is more on tap for cropping/stabilization. To be fair, I too see no use for rendering anything more than 4k.... If your needs are web based only then yes, 1080 is plenty and INFINITELY easier to work with :)

GoPro seems to be focusing on quantity rather than quality. I'd but 2 or 3 Hero5's if they changed the lens and instituted DNG files instead of just JPG.

From what I've heard from one the most knowledgeable computer guys I know he claims they did things wrong with 4k and it won't last long that it will soon be the 480 of today. He's usually knows his stuff pretty well and says I should wait on a 4k display not because our eye can really even tell the difference when it's upgraded to 8k but because sending the audio and video together severely limits pretty much all the 4k equipment that's been manufactured. I actually got my Sager laptop from him and have no problems editing anything since. I love it and got a over 2000 dollar laptop for a deal I couldn't believe just because he didn't use it cause his desktop builds are pretty much all top end hardware.

Not saying this is fact please don't jump to tell me I'm an idiot I'm wrong I'm not saying Hes all knowing but he made a very good argument on buying a 1440 monitor cheap now and upgrade to the generations after 4k cause they've fixed this bottleneck. What he said got my attention at least so I'm still waiting to upgrade my tvs or monitors for at least a while 1080 is fine for me, I do love to have the latest and greatest but think I'll see how this plays out for a bit this time.

8k is too much for me at least with an action camera like gopro I'm fairly new but wouldnt there be better options if you want that level of video. Even 4k has these little cams flaming hot and pushing their limits. If I feel the need for that res and want to spend that time editing I think I'd rather use another option camera on a pro grade quad. I'll see what else this new gopro offers but that alone won't make me buy into a third gopro unless I'm forced by something like gimbal control with solo and hero 3+ and 4.

Just my thoughts and opinions though take em for what there worth which honestly I'm no expert so isn't a whole lot, really just more things to think about. Thanks for all the other tips and experiences in the thread I'm soaking up all the info I can here on the forum.

4K at 60fps delivered in 1080P will keep me satisfied for a few years I'm sure. In the meantime the hardware will catch up on the edit and render side. Of course by then we'll drooling over 32K resolutions (when will it ever stop!)

To be honest, I'm looking forward to being able to mount higher quality cameras with bigger sensors on the Solo, like a BlackMagic - even if it doesn't support the ultra high def resolutions we are seeing on the GoPros.

Reactions: Iconic Images
4K at 60fps delivered in 1080P will keep me satisfied for a few years I'm sure. In the meantime the hardware will catch up on the edit and render side. Of course by then we'll drooling over 32K resolutions (when will it ever stop!)

To be honest, I'm looking forward to being able to mount higher quality cameras with bigger sensors on the Solo, like a BlackMagic - even if it doesn't support the ultra high def resolutions we are seeing on the GoPros.

I'll take a bigger sensor over higher resolutions any day.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44