New 3 blades from master air screw

What would the benefit be? An extra blade would increase drag and reduce battery life but it will produce more thrust.

Online posts from quadcopter pilots suggest that there is really no noticible advantage but they do look cool.

Reactions: backcountryice
What would the benefit be? An extra blade would increase drag and reduce battery life but it will produce more thrust.

Online posts from quadcopter pilots suggest that there is really no noticible advantage but they do look cool.
I see your point!

I was wondering the same thing. Their website says "Upgrade your 3DR Solo with our latest 3-Blade propellers for improved performance, longer flight time and quiet operation." If they really are quieter I'm definitely going to buy a set.
Let us know!

You'd potentially get more thrust at the cost of battery charge used up more quickly. From the bit of searching I've done, triple blade props are better at quick response than a dual blade and less prone to noticeable vibration from the prop cutting through the air (more like a higher frequency).

Original 3 blade props were designed for war planes if I'm not mistaken and the reason a 3 blade was used is because a larger dual blade would hit the ground, hence a triple was fitted. Less efficient than a larger dual blade, but more compact and could provide the thrust needed as long as the engine could handle it.

Solo might fly fine with either a triple or dual blade prop. Might be a negligible difference between the two. Solo doesn't have the restrictions of a racing quad that has a small airframe which is where a triple blade makes more sense.

If there is a significant difference in response, then it would really come down to pilot preference of how they want the solo to behave. For smooth filming you probably don't want a jumpy/zippy platform and prefer more of a lofty flight.

I'll admit it looks cool, however it might not give any practical benefits for Solo and is just marketing hype from MAS.

I do not anticipate any meaningful or useful benefit. Possibly more responsive and snappy since there is more propeller. However, that could also be somewhat negated by the additional load on the motors, which were selected based on the characteristics of a 2-blade prop. Slinging a 3 blade prop around is quite different. May also use more battery power. It will probably eat the battery faster too. Could require different tuning, or maybe not.

I ordered a set just to see.

I do not anticipate any meaningful or useful benefit. Possibly more responsive and snappy since there is more propeller. However, that could also be somewhat negated by the additional load on the motors, which were selected based on the characteristics of a 2-blade prop. Slinging a 3 blade prop around is quite different. May also use more battery power. It will probably eat the battery faster too. Could require different tuning, or maybe not.

I ordered a set just to see.
I agree.

Thanks for posting, I even like cheap 3 blade props on mine:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I think the important question is.... could you put a platform on the lawn mower and land the 3DR solo on a moving target!

Reactions: skyhax
Yes, that is what I am comparing them too. The power is pretty much reduced so that explains it. With a gimbal on I would have to have a very controlled situation or I would not risk it.
Matches what they told me as far as these being suited for unburdened Solos (non-gimbal).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc