NAB Predictions for Solo

Reaction score
WHat are people thinking will happen at NAB in terms of SOLO evolution?

The only 2 things I personally care about are things they've been talking about since Solos release - a larger capacity battery and optical flow. I can't think of many other things that would be actually useful to me, and they've been talking about them for a long time so I hope they finally deliver on those 2 items. Those 2 items would definitely benefit the enterprise sector too, which is where their focus is now admittedly aimed at.

Reactions: jibcamera
Unless it was never on 3DR's "To do list?
Optical flow would be a candidate for new hardware @ NAB, but if my memory serves correctly, Optical flow will just measure height & objects from ground to onboard sensors.

meaning, it will follow the contour of what ever is below it "Avoiding any ground object that's below it" since the sensors works primarily focus at the 180" degrees, it will not be able to sense objects @ top, & sides of Solo.

They may have updated the sensor array to include these other directions?
Since the "White one's" investment in object avoidance?

I read about about Optical flow from Solo about a year ago. so they had time to make a updates?

We'll see soon.

Unless it was never on 3DR's "To do list?
Optical flow would be a candidate for new hardware @ NAB, but if my memory serves correctly, Optical flow will just measure height & objects from ground to onboard sensors.

meaning, it will follow the contour of what ever is below it "Avoiding any ground object that's below it" since the sensors works primarily focus at the 180" degrees, it will not be able to sense objects @ top, & sides of Solo.

You're thinking of the sonar. That's what allows it to maintain precision height above ground and follow terrain. It also makes landing a little more graceful. Optical flow isn't about altitude, it's about position. It can recognize objects below it, and as those objects move within the field of view, it knows the aircraft is moving and can compensate. It's for precision position holding.

WHat are people thinking will happen at NAB in terms of SOLO evolution?
I will be visiting the 3DR booth at NAB 2016 and hope to ask as many questions as possible. It will be interesting to see how each drone company tries to spin their products there.
I'll report back here if I hear anything interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44