mRobotics M8N GPS

The first one works so well in my Rev A that I ordered a second one for the Rev B. While the Rev B never had issues finding enough sats to fly, it never finds as many and the positional hold is not as good as with the mRo replacement in the first Solo.

When I placed the order for the second one they were out. That was a few days ago but I just received a shipping notice today. I'm guessing most of his new stock went right back out to fill orders.

When I walk up to my stock Solo, GPS drops immediately--I must be blocking the GPS signal. It comes back quickly after I move away.

Will the M8 also do this?

When I walk up to my stock Solo, GPS drops immediately--I must be blocking the GPS signal. It comes back quickly after I move away.

I seriously doubt it. My own standard GPS never did either...

I just purchased from the second batch, I've had no problems so far, but I'm excited anyway. Does this one benefit from the GPS shield as well, will it even fit with the shield?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using the 3DR shield it was no problem to reapply.

I am using Tower, and the voice prompt comes on saying "Need GPS Lock" when I am at/near the drone, that's how I know it is losing GPS fix.

I don't think the 3DR app calls this out with voice--so people may not notice.

Note that I've seen this on 4 different Solos, so not limited to just this unit.

Once I switch out to the M8, I'll do some testing of this.

Interesting. On the stock GPS, both Solo's I flew would do this - every time I'd reach down to move it or change a battery, the app would announce "waiting for GPS", sometimes when I was just getting close walking over to it. This was a big part of why I replaced the GPSs - because they were always 1 or 2 satellites away from loosing a fix.

I haven't noticed this with the mRo GPS on the dozen or so flights I've put on it.

Reactions: 5r49cfu
It happens to me occasionally. It did it stock too but generally only if I am carrying the controller with the tablet attached and/or have my cell in my pocket. If I leave my phone in the car and set the controller with tablet down a few feet away, it doesn't do it. When it does it never loses satellites but switches to searching. As soon as me and the controller move away again it locks back on and is ready to fly again. I haven't seen too many squirrels surfing the net on tablets where I fly though so I haven't stressed on it much.

Update--installed the mRobotics m8 with new 3DR v2 shield. Performance was excellent.

Note that when I was close to Solo when it is on the ground, the GPS signal didn't drop like it used to.

Easy to install. I recommend doing this at the same time as the v2 shield.

Reactions: Maddog
Update--installed the mRobotics m8 with new 3DR v2 shield. Performance was excellent.

Note that when I was close to Solo when it is on the ground, the GPS signal didn't drop like it used to.

Just a note... I'm still using my stock shield and things work great.

My second one arrived yesterday and is now sitting comfortably where the Rev B chip used to be. I will be test flying it tomorrow. I did a quick test at work after installing and inside a metal pole shed it was still getting 10 satellites. The stock chips never got any inside the building. At home now and both Solos with the mRo chip will get lock in the house and are both telling me to hold fly to start motors. It's tempting to try flying inside but I like my TV.

Reactions: SARDG and truoccm
Just installed this with the original shield...was only getting 8 or 9 satellites with original, now getting 18 or 19 with the m8n...and a .08 hop...acquires signal almost instantly..

Reactions: monterx7

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44