Mro gps

Now I *really* can't decide which way to upgrade before departure...
Well that's easy............ upgrade to business class............ oh wait, you mean your DRONE not your flight.... Hmmm avoid magnetic snap on legs... great in theory, but turns out.. get this... there's a compass there! Who knew???

I went with the magnetic snap on gimbal already. :p

And I would L-O-V-E to upgrade to business class. Holy crap does that cost a pretty penny!

I went with the magnetic snap on gimbal already. :p

And I would L-O-V-E to upgrade to business class. Holy crap does that cost a pretty penny!
Yeah, when I first came over here, I thought as a treat, I'd either fly 1st class or business class. Needless to say ... economy won!

I also would think Jordi would know what a stock Solo cube would need as far as data. I hate to assume but.. My green cube has a HERE for what it's worth. Again no problems with the stock Solo cube running with Mro's.

I have brugingly received my mRo purple board GPS.
  • Verified that it was shipped from mRo with all 3 systems enabled... American GPS, the soviet Glonass, and European Galileo. However, based on this thread, numerous other people received them with only GPS and Glonass enabled. So mRo apparently has a consistency / QC issue.

• Sitting out on my back deck with half the sky blocked by the house, I was unable to actually receive any Galileo sats. Based on GNSS Radar, I should be able to see 2 or 3, but it's unlikely to be very reliable in my location. I will try it tomorrow out in the open.

Reactions: David Boulanger
It has been my experience that it takes a long time to acquire Galileo sats from a cold start i.e. no Almanac, Ephemeris or Time of day. With any one of the various M8N receivers I have (outside, good sky view, good antenna... these aren't Solo GPSs) I can get a 4-5 sat cold start fix within 30 seconds, GPS & Glonass. Galileo always takes longer, minutes or more. Once the receiver has acquired the Almanac & Ephemeris, warm starts are a lot faster. The Ephemeris is only good for a few of hours, so fixes will take longer when you need to re-acquire it/them.
u-Center is the program of choice for investigation the M8N and its brethren, although hardly anyone gets it running properly on the first try. Some folks (me) say that u-center runs better under Wine on Linux than it does on various Windows versions. ;>))
YMMV.

I get Galileo pretty quickly, usually 4-5 as well. But I am in San Diego, possibly more coverage here. That's odd 3 were enabled. Mine had everything "Configured" in UBX-CFG-GNSS but Galileo wasn't "Enabled". I do like the micro usb, makes it so easy to connect and actually tinker with u-center.

My Long Galileo acquisition times may be related to the fact that when doing Galileo work I almost always cold start. My house has a metal roof and my window sill antenna I use for inside testing has less than 1/4 sky view and lots of multipath. Once the Galileo constellation is complete there will be less regional variation of visibility.
Factory settings for the M8N for Galileo is Disabled in UBX-CFG-GNSS.
Right now 7:09 MST I am seeing 3 Galileo sats in the UBX-NAV-SAT message, however there are supposedly 6 in view. This is from my window sill antenna so I'm not surprised.

So I finally got this all hooked up and tested. ArduPilot checks for a location update every 20ms. So the GPA.Delta log shows that timing, and that is why it appears to be in 20ms intervals. These are on my test Solo sitting out on my deck using the brand new mRo M8N GPS. I had good reception and navigational use of all three systems.

The results confirm what I afraid of. I have not flown it to see if the results get event worse in flight, but they certainly may.
  • With the typical configuration of 2 systems enabled (GPS & Glonass), the location updates come in on time with a new location every 20ms or less, where you see them at 0 to 220. There are no errors, and everything is happy.

• With the mRo configuration of 3 systems enabled (GPS, Glonass, & Galileo), location updates are consistently running late, and have quite a bit of jitter, where you see them spike up to 240. And there are numerous delayed updates in excess of the error threshold, where you see them spike up to 260.

• The mRo configuration will repeatedly trip "BAD GPS HEALTH" errors whenever it exceeds the error threshold (245) so every one of those spikes up to 260 is an error condition.

• The mRo configuration may result in poor navigation performance and EKF errors in flight. Jittery position updates being fed into a position controller is generally not a good thing. I'm going to show these results to the EKF engineers on the ArduPilot dev to see what they think about it's potential affects.

GPS Deltas.png

Reactions: DJMc and Wetstone
I'll have to check mine and see how they are set up. I don't recall if they have a USB port or if I have to modify a FTDI cable to check them. Thanks for your effort P2P.

So I finally got this all hooked up and tested. ArduPilot checks for a location update every 20ms. So the GPA.Delta log shows that timing, and that is why it appears to be in 20ms intervals. These are on my test Solo sitting out on my deck using the brand new mRo M8N GPS. I had good reception and navigational use of all three systems.

The results confirm what I afraid of. I have not flown it to see if the results get event worse in flight, but they certainly may.
  • With the typical configuration of 2 systems enabled (GPS & Glonass), the location updates come in on time with a new location every 20ms or less, where you see them at 0 to 220. There are no errors, and everything is happy.

• With the mRo configuration of 3 systems enabled (GPS, Glonass, & Galileo), location updates are consistently running late, and have quite a bit of jitter, where you see them spike up to 240. And there are numerous delayed updates in excess of the error threshold, where you see them spike up to 260.

• The mRo configuration will repeatedly trip "BAD GPS HEALTH" errors whenever it exceeds the error threshold (245) so every one of those spikes up to 260 is an error condition.

• The mRo configuration may result in poor navigation performance and EKF errors in flight. Jittery position updates being fed into a position controller is generally not a good thing. I'm going to show these results to the EKF engineers on the ArduPilot dev to see what they think about it's potential affects.

View attachment 7804

How do you see Delta? I use the latest MP Beta. But also my logs are all dual GPS so maybe that has something to do with it. Want to see if my dual GPS has same effect with 3 constellations.

Attachments

• GPA.JPG
    GPA.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 24
Oh, that didn't exist in 3.5.4 or the old solo ArduCopter. It is in 3.6-dev master. If you have dual GPS, you'll get separate logs for each one. So you'll have GPA.DELTA and also GPA2.DELTA. It should make any difference.

I'll have to check mine and see how they are set up. I don't recall if they have a USB port or if I have to modify a FTDI cable to check them. Thanks for your effort P2P.

If it's the older mRo (no USB port), then it would only have the two systems enabled. It's his newer model with the USB port that he is apparently shipping with three systems enabled.

Reactions: David Boulanger
If it's the older mRo (no USB port), then it would only have the two systems enabled. It's his newer model with the USB port that he is apparently shipping with three systems enabled.
I am new to all of this. I have the newer board with usb and I think I am having the same issue and need to disable the Galileo sats. Where did you download the configuration tool from? I can not find anything like that on the mRo page...

Edit: Looks like everyone is using the u-center software. u-center Windows

If you have any recommendations on what options should be adjusted I would appreciate it!

Last edited:
I am new to all of this. I have the newer board with usb and I think I am having the same issue and need to disable the Galileo sats. Where did you download the configuration tool from? I can not find anything like that on the mRo page...
Get the Here GPS and your troubles will be gone. GPS and compass is up in the air away from all the board electronics interference.

Get the Here GPS and your troubles will be gone. GPS and compass is up in the air away from all the board electronics interference.

Could I 3d print a mount similar to that? Looks like it is the same gps chip.

Could I 3d print a mount similar to that? Looks like it is the same gps chip.
Actually Imp sells one for the mro for very little money. Only issue is you would be leaving the compass in solos leg. I'm sure it would still be a better solution than leaving the GPS on the board or near the board but leaving the compass in the leg leaves it near rebar in the concrete, etc. I bought my here GPS for solo and remember if you buy it, it must be for solo. I purchased mine off of Amazon for $56 and made my own cable but purchased the mount from Imp. Now this is just personally speaking, I would opt for the here GPS to get the compass and GPS above everything. I had the mro but mind you it was mounted in the normal position near the board and I constantly lost GPS lock with 15 and 18 satellites. Also still took a bit to get lock. With the here, 30 seconds- 18 plus sats and havnt lost lock once!!! I am never nerveous about flying with it. As I said I'm sure it is a much better choice to raise the mro, but for my money and peace of mind I would get them both up there. It only takes once--- for bad things to happen.

Last edited:
Ok I think I figured out how to adjust the settings within u-center. Here is is my before and after settings. Can anyone confirm if GPS and GLONASS are the only two that should be enabled? It seems like the Solo boots up and acquires satellites quicker this way but I am noticing it jumps around and goes in and out of a fix. I am getting 9-12 satellites with a HDOP ranging from 1.4-2.0. I am hoping I have done something wrong at this point as the solo doesn't seem very stable with this board. Also included a screenshot of available sats in my area during this time which is showing that 10 GPS and 6 GLO available.

Attachments

• 2018-04-20_0818.png
    2018-04-20_0818.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2018-04-20_0814.png
    2018-04-20_0814.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2018-04-20_0850.png
    2018-04-20_0850.png
    992.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Members online