Mro gps

I think I will note what my current (default) GPS_GNSS_MODE setting is, then experiment with some other values. I just want to be sure that I can put the original default value back and it works as previous to any experiments/changes...is that correct?

Here's the thing, that parameter is used to change the setting on M8. The parameter set for zero means don't change the M8, which is the default. Once you change the M8, the M8 stays that way until you tell it to change to something else. So you could change it with that parameter, then put the parameter back to zero and the M8 will stay how you set it. Or if you change the M8 in ucenter, you again leave the parameter 0 so it doesn't change it.

Not necessarily because I don't know what mRo sets their gps for during assembly.
It doesn't include beidu. If you look at the info on the (New) Mro for Solo, it sa
Not necessarily because I don't know what mRo sets their gps for during assembly.
The (New) Mro for Solo info says it comes default with American GPS/Glonass/Galileo. But says for best results, exchange Biedu for Glonass. That's all I am wanting to try. Having said that, no matter what I change it to, has changed nothing. When I hook it up to u center, it still shows the default settings. Frank.

Matt, actually, when I connect to u center it is showing live data from us,GPS/waas/and Glonass. Nothing I change it to in tower has changed anything, no matter what I set. Just trying to figure it all out. Frank.

Here's the thing, that parameter is used to change the setting on M8. The parameter set for zero means don't change the M8, which is the default. Once you change the M8, the M8 stays that way until you tell it to change to something else. So you could change it with that parameter, then put the parameter back to zero and the M8 will stay how you set it. Or if you change the M8 in ucenter, you again leave the parameter 0 so it doesn't change it.
I am just wanting to replace Glonass for Baidu as recommended by Mro and ubox. If you go to the new for Solo Mro GPS, it explains what I am trying to say. When I connect to u center my data shows I have usa/gps-- waas-- and Glonass. Then after making changes in tower, the values in tower stay as I reset to even after a power cycle, But, when connecting back to u center no matter what I set it to remains the same everytime-- USA/gps-- waas--and Glonass. What am I missing here?? The first time I checked my new Mro on tower after refreshing parameters showed the numeral 2. But as I stated, u center shows live feed coming in from the three I mentioned, no matter what I do. Frank. Also, I have not changed it in u center because I haven't been able to figure out how to. Maybe nothing's changing because I'm putting the incorrect numbers in tower parameters.

Last edited:
It doesn't appear the ArduPilot command to change the m8 settings is working for anyone

I've been reading up on Biedu, today. Don't want to take my Solo apart because it's working too good..

After reading some articles, l found out the Biedu chips are being shipped and installed in device. The system is not available globally..

By the end of 2018, China hopes to have its BeiDou satellites set up along the Belt and Road trade routes, and then available globally in 2020.

China's BeiDou navigation system about to go global

I've been reading up on Biedu, today. Don't want to take my Solo apart because it's working too good..

After reading some articles, l found out the Biedu chips are being shipped and installed in device. The system is not available globally..

By the end of 2018, China hopes to have its BeiDou satellites set up along the Belt and Road trade routes, and then available globally in 2020.

China's BeiDou navigation system about to go global
I am just quoting what Mro/ ublox is saying to do with Outstanding results.for the new gps. Again, as I stated before, it is not clear if that will work in us. I am checking with ublox.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to use beidou since it is incomplete and has poor coverage.American GPS, European Galileo, and Soviet GLONASS are the only ones with robust global coverage.

Only GPS and Galileo use SBAS, and that SBAS only works when your physically in the USA or Europe. If you're in the USA, you will definitely want a minimum of GPS and SBAS. If you're in Europe, you will want a minimum of Galileo and SBAS.

If you're elsewhere in the world where SBAS isn't a thing, you might as well just enable GPS, Galileo, and GLONASS and call it day.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to use beidou since it is incomplete and has poor coverage.American GPS, European Galileo, and Soviet GLONASS are the only ones with robust global coverage.

Only GPS and Galileo use SBAS, and that SBAS only works when your physically in the USA or Europe. If you're in the USA, you will definitely want a minimum of GPS and SBAS. If you're in Europe, you will want a minimum of Galileo and SBAS.

If you're elsewhere in the world where SBAS isn't a thing, you might as well just enable GPS, Galileo, and GLONASS and call it day.
That is good enough info for me my friend. So I currently have gps-waas--glonass. Do I want to replace waas with galileo?? Or is waas just showing up because it's part of GPS?? Frank.

I've done testing with this. Changing GNSS settings does change constellations on PX boot, but does not change any settings to ublox itself. To make changes to CFG settings you have to go to u-center itself and send the command to flash it to make changes.

Better off just leaving GNSS at 0 and making changes in u-center. Super easy with mro since you can plug it in directly with USB.

That was my original question in this thread. I don't know how to do that in u center. Frank.

That would explains why it doesn't appear to make any changes when you look in ucenter.

A few things I confirmed with Carpy, our resident GPS carnosaur.

Confirmed SBAS, QZSS, and IMES augmentations do not count against the "maximum of 3 systems". So you should always have those enabled regardless. The only places they're actually used are the continental USA, Europe, Japan, and Australia.

Apparently there are only certain combinations or major systems you can use due to the frequencies involved per ublox:
GNSS Combinations.JPG

Also, something mRo conveniently left out of their flashy advertising is that enabling a third system on the M8N slows the GPS update rate to 3hz!! That is too slow for ArduCopter and not allowed. Par for the course with mRo's BS advertising though. As such, do not enable a third major system on the M8N GPS.

If you're in the USA, Japan, or Australia, the default setting is probably the best setting. That is GPS & GLONASS + SBAS, QZSS, IMES. This is optimal and probably shouldn't be changed. Swapping Galileo for GLONASS is an option, but may not by worthwhile until their latest 4 new sats come online.

If you're in Europe, you should probably use GPS & GALILEO + SBAS, QZSS, & IMES. Using Galileo will get you the european SBAS augmentation.

If you're elsewhere in the world, either of the two combinations above will probably be fine since there is no augmentation to consider.

That would explains why it doesn't appear to make any changes when you look in ucenter.

Confirmed SBAS, QZSS, and IMES augmentations do not count against the "maximum of 3 systems". So you should always have those enabled regardless. The only places they're actually used are the continental USA, Europe, Japan, and Australia.

Apparently there are only certain combinations or major systems you can use due to the frequencies involved per ublox:
View attachment 7554

Also, something mRo conveniently left out of their flashy advertising is that enabling a third system on the M8N slows the GPS update rate to 3hz!! That is too slow for ArduCopter and not allowed. Par for the course with mRo's BS advertising though. As such, do not enable a third major system on the M8N GPS.

If you're in the USA, Japan, or Australia, the default setting is probably the best setting. That is GPS & GLONASS + SBAS, QZSS, IMES. This is optimal and probably shouldn't be changed. Swapping Galileo for GLONASS is an option, but may not by worthwhile until their latest 4 new sats come online.

If you're in Europe, you should probably use GPS & GALILEO + SBAS, QZSS, & IMES. Using Galileo will get you the european SBAS augmentation.

If you're elsewhere in the world, either of the two combinations above will probably be fine since there is no augmentation to consider.
Matt, good work with your resources!!! Companies will do anything to sell without explanation. At least we all have our answer. Good work!!!!

View attachment 7554

Thank you for the research into the definitive answer that covers all the pertinent facts!

I'll third the thanks to you Matt for your time and research in to this. I think I will take your advise and leave my (3) mRo cards as they came out of the box.

Reactions: Wetstone
I did some checking, and realized my smartphone gps covers BeiDou, GLONASS, GPS, Galileo. I found a couple good apps to confirm what gps coverage is available in my area...Screenshot_gps2.png Screenshot_gps1.png
The MRO is a good GPS, but it's not a game changer compared to other options like the HERE...

I've decided to get a here GPS, my Mro is for sale. I have been looking for a good external solution, and this seems to foot the bill. I had asked Fabian from Mro about an external solution, but of coarse he would not mention this!! I have been doing Apm and Pixhawk 1 for Many years now and there is NO COMPARISON TO EXTERNAL ON A MAST!! I have a tarot x6 and 4 others with Pixhawk 1s, and I can fly in my area and NEVER have an issue with m8n on a mast. When board mounted, I had the same issues I have with solo even with Mro. As soon as I went to external on a mast, all issues gone !!!! Plain and simple. I will never fall for another GPS company's hype. I questioned it from the beginning being mounted near the board, but heard all kind of nonsense. My Mro is for sale!!! New style Mro for Solo with USB port. 2 weeks old. 55.00 shipped to lower 48.

I asked them at mRo and was told it will run 3 with no issues at 5hz. I set it at 10, and even kept going up closer to 20hz before I started getting errors in u-center.

Either way, both the mRo and HERE seem to run fine with GPS, Glonass and Galileo with GPS_RATE_MS set to 100 (10hz), even with dual GPS I am running. Results may vary though.

I think 3hz is just what u-blox recommends and setting higher is effectively overclocking the module.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela