Mro gps

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how I can enable the Chinese constellation through u center for my Mro GPS for Solo. Thank you in advance. Frank

It can use two systems at once. By default, it uses American GPS and Russian GLONASS. Do you want to use American GPS and Chinese Beidou instead? If so, you would set parameter GPS_GNSS_MODE for 43. You can do that with the Tower or Side Pilot apps, or Mission Planner on a PC.

To put it back to normal, you would set it for 99, which again is American GPS and Russian GLONASS.

Also, this function is rarely used. So please report back if it actually works!

Reactions: RichWest
It can use two systems at once. By default, it uses American GPS and Russian GLONASS. Do you want to use American GPS and Chinese Beidou instead? If so, you would set parameter GPS_GNSS_MODE for 43. You can do that with the Tower or Side Pilot apps, or Mission Planner on a PC.

To put it back to normal, you would set it for 99, which again is American GPS and Russian GLONASS.

Also, this function is rarely used. So please report back if it actually works!
I'm a bit confused then. The newer Mro gps claims it can use 3 at once. Anyways, mine has the new mini USB you can hook up to. I figured I could do it though u center. It also claims replacement of glonass with beidou has outstanding results. It wasn't clear if that was here in the states though. Frank.

I'm a bit confused then. The newer Mro gps claims it can use 3 at once. Anyways, mine has the new mini USB you can hook up to. I figured I could do it though u center. It also claims replacement of glonass with beidou has outstanding results. It wasn't clear if that was here in the states though. Frank.

If you figure out how to do that, please let me know!

Oh. Well I was reading really old ublox docs. Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure the recent M8 firmware does 3 systems. In that case, enabling GPS, GLONASS, and Beidou would be a value of 107.

Oh. Well I was reading really old ublox docs. Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure the recent M8 firmware does 3 systems. In that case, enabling GPS, GLONASS, and Beidou would be a value of 107.

What about the code for GPS, GLONASS and Galileo?

It recommends replacing glonass for beidou. In tower, I can not find in parameters gps gns mode

Matt, I guess I'm not understanding the chart from ardupilot.org correctly. You say GPS+GLONASS+Galileo would be 103. Based on the bitmask shown, why would it not be 69?
1 (GPS) + 64(GLONASS) + 4(Galileo) = 69.

GPS Setting Chart.jpg

Anyways, no matter what I set it to, when hooking up to u center, still shows default settings. Not working. I believe this has to be done in u center. Frank.

I could have some of these wrong, because it is not documented very well with ublox. SBAS and QZSS are augmentations. And GPS, SBAS, and QZSS are seen as one system on the M8, not 3 different systems. So if you want GPS, you can include all three of them. Then add you add your soviet system and whatever else.

GPS/SBAS/QZSS, Galileo, & Glonass, which works out to 103.
GPS/SBAS/QZSS, Beidou, & Glonass would be 107.
GPS/SBAS/QZSS & Glonass would be 99 (ublox default)

Reactions: Wetstone
I could have some of these wrong, because it is not documented very well with ublox. SBAS and QZSS are augmentations. And GPS, SBAS, and QZSS are seen as one system on the M8, not 3 different systems. So if you want GPS, you can include all three of them. Then add you add your soviet system and whatever else.

Rodger that, but no matter how I set it in tower, it reminds the same in u center as default

So if I am understanding correctly, if I have the newest MRO GPS unit (the purple one with the USB connection), in order to fully utilize it's capability of tracking 3 constellations, I will have to change the "GPS_GNSS_MODE" parameter in Mission Planner to either 103 or 107, correct?

I see now...the GPS (bit value = 1 ), selection is actually GPS/SBAS/QZSS (bit value = 35). That makes the numbers works as you showed.

So it would seem that the more constellations (I guess that's what those are called?) you set the card for, the more GPS satellites you have access to...which is good...is that correct? Should I be able to test this by setting to 1 constellation, note how many sats I get...then change to 3, note how many sats I get?? I know this I probably a dumb question...sorry.

Thanks for this information/time...one of the things I'm really liking about Solo is all this new stuff to learn!

If you set it for something like only Galieo or only Beidou, you should see remarkably less sats, maybe only 2 to 4. I believe those systems are still not nearly as robust as american GPS or the soviet glonass. My understanding of how SBAS and QZSS interact as a system or augmentation of a system on the M8 is still unclear. I could be wrong about that stuff. SBAS may count as a system, but I'm not sure. SBAS applies to Galileo and maybe glonass too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela